Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
MrPB

Manx Telecom - absolute crap

Did anyone hear the Manx Radio phone in today where MT was mentioned and unanimously a whole pile of people called in to say how totally frustrated they were with the unbelievably shit service they receive from MT? Loads moaning about disappearing phone credits, another than he can’t get internet at certain times of the day, loads more about poor upload and download speeds despite paying much higher costs than the UK. The service I’ve had lately for broadband puts somewhere like Somalia to shame. Does anyone think they actually give a toss? 

• Like 2

Nowt wrong with my broadband...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No they don't give a toss. And neither do Sure. It's not quite the full monopoly, but they do seem to have evened out at a mutually beneficial agreed level of 'can't be arsed'.

I'm currently trying to muster the will to take Sure to court for a fully documented and even acknowledged mistake, which they simply refuse to fix. 

Edited by maynragh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My experience of Manx Telecom both at home and business wise has been very good. Their prices are very high and we all know that. When off Island I use a 3 sim card and have unlimited roaming data.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NoTail said:

My experience of Manx Telecom both at home and business wise has been very good. Their prices are very high and we all know that. When off Island I use a 3 sim card and have unlimited roaming data.

Your 3 SIM on roaming here is still cheaper than the local operators local charges!

1 hour ago, MrPB said:

Did anyone hear the Manx Radio phone in today where MT was mentioned and unanimously a whole pile of people called in to say how totally frustrated they were with the unbelievably shit service they receive from MT? Loads moaning about disappearing phone credits, another than he can’t get internet at certain times of the day, loads more about poor upload and download speeds despite paying much higher costs than the UK. The service I’ve had lately for broadband puts somewhere like Somalia to shame. Does anyone think they actually give a toss? 

I pay Manx Telecom over £50 per month while a relative who is with Sure pays £33 per month for the exact same service. 

Edited by timetraveler

I'm Pay As You Go and I find it irritating they have cut the length of time for using the free data useage and SMS  from 2 weeks to one week.

it appears Manx Telecom has become more business aggressive since it was last bought out. Where there's such money men involved it becomes a ratchet effect with the screw only going one way.

Hmmm. Man was telling me that MT are about to get hit for massive infrastructure costs, caused by the MUA infrastructure that MT piggyback on, namely poles and such, being removed because MUA are converting to underground services. Meaning that MT are going to have to find their own way of doing something that they've been very accustomed to someone else doing.

23 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I'm Pay As You Go and I find it irritating they have cut the length of time for using the free data useage and SMS  from 2 weeks to one week.

it appears Manx Telecom has become more business aggressive since it was last bought out. Where there's such money men involved it becomes a ratchet effect with the screw only going one way.

The thing is, the Isle of Man, even regardless of any potential future economic growth in the UK and US, is in a state of decline. No amount of relocations to the IOM Business Park will change the fact that businesses are leaving this jurisdiction. 

All my dealings with MT have been positive, although my 40Mb broadband won't usually stream 4k (Amazon defaults to 1080) which was why I upgraded. And the prices seem very high, but I suppose they have to ship bandwidth over on the boat...

5 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

All my dealings with MT have been positive, although my 40Mb broadband won't usually stream 4k (Amazon defaults to 1080) which was why I upgraded. And the prices seem very high, but I suppose they have to ship bandwidth over on the boat...

It will get worse when the post man stops delivering it on Saturday...

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, NoTail said:

You do know you can use that all the time on island too?