Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
MrPB

Manx Telecom - absolute crap

Is part of the problem the Politicos call for " Broadband for All "? Would the Telecoms be able to provide better service to the majority if they could abandon the 'sticks' of Laxey and Bride?

Human Being being  what they are, selfish, draw bridging, I;m all right Jack, most would be quite willing to set these areas adrift if it means better service to their selves???

10 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Manx Telecom are not shit. Far from it. Too many infantile posters on here trying to be the man. Grow up, get a grip then get on with your life.

We're on the most expensive all singing and dancing package and it's crap!  Every time I go away i'm astounded by the most basic hotel wifi yet we're constantly fed the bullshit about being world leaders in telecoms and paying accordingly ,

• Like 2

Just now, Kopek said:

Is part of the problem the Politicos call for " Broadband for All "? Would the Telecoms be able to provide better service to the majority if they could abandon the 'sticks' of Laxey and Bride?

Human Being being  what they are, selfish, draw bridging, I;m all right Jack, most would be quite willing to set these areas adrift if it means better service to their selves???

Must be one of your worst posts so far. Are you hoping to improve on that one ? Idiot.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, finlo said:

We're on the most expensive all singing and dancing package and it's crap!  Every time I go away i'm astounded by the most basic hotel wifi yet we're constantly fed the bullshit about being world leaders in telecoms and paying accordingly ,

I fail to see the problem. If you live in a tent on Snaefell, then expect a poor internet speed. Move down the valley.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I fail to see the problem. If you live in a tent on Snaefell, then expect a poor internet speed. Move down the valley.

Well it would be acceptable if i lived in a tent up Sneafell but I don't so it's not!

Personally the fact that the product may not be up to the same specification as if I lived in say central London doesn't really bother me. I understand that I'm in a relatively remote and economically less viable location, and there are other factors which make the compromise acceptable.

What is not as easy to swallow is being treated like shit in to the deal, simply because the two firms running the show know you're not going to get any better elsewhere. They treat people like shit because they know they can, and to be fair, not treating people like shit costs money, so why bother if theres little risk. If there were half a dozen or more firms trying to get you on their hook as in the UK it would be different story - as it is there. 

I've looked in to the UK sim thing, but as far as I can tell you can't take your local number with you, so if you're like me and have numbers associated with businesses you're basically screwed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, maynragh said:

Personally the fact that the product may not be up to the same specification as if I lived in say central London doesn't really bother me. I understand that I'm in a relatively remote and economically less viable location, and there are other factors which make the compromise acceptable.

What is not as easy to swallow is being treated like shit in to the deal, simply because the two firms running the show know you're not going to get any better elsewhere. They treat people like shit because they know they can, and to be fair, not treating people like shit costs money, so why bother if theres little risk. If there were half a dozen or more firms trying to get you on their hook as in the UK it would be different story - as it is there. 

I've looked in to the UK sim thing, but as far as I can tell you can't take your local number with you, so if you're like me and have numbers associated with businesses you're basically screwed. 

The answer is probably to go payg with MT and take a contract with a proper phone company using a dual sim phone 

Just now, NoTail said:

The answer is probably to go payg with MT and take a contract with a proper phone company using a dual sim phone 

Now theres and idea. The only issue being the purchase of a 'new' (heaven forbid) phone.

I assume this level of wizardry would allow me to receive calls to my old numbers via one sim, but spend the bulk of my money with the second?

Thank you!

Why not, when you get home, switch your phone off, enjoy a bit of telly, eat with your family and converse?

Psychology research shows  that Kids today are losing the ability to communicate because their Parents are stuck in their mobiles instead of conversing  with their Kids,I saw a recent example where the Kid could only 'point' at the books in the dentist waiting room, they could not or were loath to interrupt their parents browsing, to 'ask' if they could get a book!!!

A damning example of todays internet parents???

1 hour ago, finlo said:

Well it would be acceptable if i lived in a tent up Sneafell but I don't so it's not!

Where’s Sneafell?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Where’s Sneafell?

I tried to find it on my mobile maps navigation app but the pages wouldn’t load because of our crap telecoms service, so I can’t help you sorry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, dilligaf said:

In a somewhat ironic story, I popped into MT the other day to check the postcode of a house I’m buying and what internet services were available for that particular area. Central(ish) Douglas, but no access to fibre apparently. Anyone know the reason why- I’d have thought anywhere in our esteemed major town would be able to access it? Is all of Douglas lacking this availability? 

Very little coverage so far. I keep watching no sign of my house getting done. Port Jack area.

• Thanks 1