Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
MrPB

Manx Telecom - absolute crap

On 8/21/2019 at 7:26 AM, Derek Flint said:

You do know you can use that all the time on island too?

The only thing to watch is that calling IOM numbers from UK or Europe is pretty expensive, oddly calling IOM numbers from IOM is included in your allowance, I think its charges are still below what Sure/MT wants to call IOM  numbers from abroad though.

Does an incoming call keep a  Sure /MT PAYG sim active does anyone know?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

..........................................''Does an incoming call keep a  Sure /MT PAYG sim active does anyone know?''

As regards MT I am pretty certain it does not. As regards Sure, it definitely does not because Sure says: ''To keep the account active you need to make at least one call, send one text or use some mobile data every 90 days. 

6 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

The only thing to watch is that calling IOM numbers from UK or Europe is pretty expensive, oddly calling IOM numbers from IOM is included in your allowance, I think its charges are still below what Sure/MT wants to call IOM  numbers from abroad though.

Does an incoming call keep a  Sure /MT PAYG sim active does anyone know?

I got stung by that ringing my bathroom fitter whilst I was in London.

If you have unlimited data then you could ring using WhatsApp,  sound quality probably not as good but good enough 

No service on my Sure mobile for over an hour today :o

Sigh, all good things must come to an end... :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, NoTail said:

If you have unlimited data then you could ring using WhatsApp,  sound quality probably not as good but good enough 

Sound quality bloody better in my experience!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2019 at 9:54 PM, maynragh said:

No they don't give a toss. And neither do Sure. It's not quite the full monopoly, but they do seem to have evened out at a mutually beneficial agreed level of 'can't be arsed'.

I'm currently trying to muster the will to take Sure to court for a fully documented and even acknowledged mistake, which they simply refuse to fix. 

Me too. A shockingly bad company when it comes to comunicatiion with their customers. Which is ironic really when you think about it.

On 8/22/2019 at 6:31 PM, Derek Flint said:

I got stung by that ringing my bathroom fitter whilst I was in London.

I got stung for £100 making a few emergency calls from France last year. Literally three average length calls to landline numbers in the IOM. Who would run an international business from here with rip off rates like that? 

On 8/22/2019 at 6:42 PM, NoTail said:

One of the reason why the 2 week data allowance for PAYG was cut to one week. The other reason is because they can. 

MT is getting more aggressive to satisfy the excessive greed of the new owners. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, gettafa said:

One of the reason why the 2 week data allowance for PAYG was cut to one week. The other reason is because they can. 

MT is getting more aggressive to satisfy the excessive greed of the new owners. 

I've had this same uneasy feeling that we are going to be milked still more. If there is any adverse comment then it's the stock 'investment by world leading communications company' response. It's a shame the government didn't take a 'golden share' in strategic companies and ban them from being owned by private equity investment vehicles. The SPCo debacle shows where it can lead. MT being a part of O2 or Telefónica was a better situation. As for the local staff and the broadband I can't really complain. Just the outrageously inflated costs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The local staff I have always found great. That is not the problem.

Over the years and especially recently there's a lot of people made a shedload of money out of the communications arm of the GPO as was. A fucking shedload. 

On 8/28/2019 at 3:45 PM, joebean said:

For the best service and value on-Island, use an EE sim. 

A typical short sighted attitude.

if everyone does that, MT and Sure won’t have the incentive (or funds) to maintain the infrastructures that your EE SIM will be roaming into.

A few years down the line people will be complaining that the coverage is patchy and speed is poor because sure as eggs are eggs EE won’t be installing all the equipment required to run their own network here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1