Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

HRH The Chief Minister green crusade is ‘hard’

Business people, politicians and any other party that feels inclined to benefit from  the legally sanctioned green bandwagon where it seems that prices only ever rise above inflation. In my opinion of course, so it is useless to argue 'cos it just a point of view.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

The HRH thing definitely isn't funny.

Well it wasn't particularly, but now people have started objecting to it, it's started to become quite amusing.

And you must admit it does hint at a certain self-important cluelessness that seems to mark Quayle's public pronouncements.  As indeed seen at the 'Topical Talk' that appeared today.  Though even minor royalty (with the possible exception of Prince Andrew) seem to show more self-awareness that our Chief Minister manages.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Typos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

I reckon they will all jump on the green bandwagon because it is a good way to screw more money off the plebs who are an easy mark especially if the law decrees so.

They've already been doing it for years. Petrol taxes, VED, airport passenger duty etc. All imposed and hiked with the environment usually mentioned somewhere as justification.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

He's a self-made man you know

I think he took parts from more than one kit

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Would things have been different if we had had an Auditor General to oversee things?

A whichfinder general would do better.

"Which idiot wrote the cheque for this?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

This is what climate change looks like:

FB_IMG_15785107332733188.jpg

£25m is a lot of money for some trees

You can buy 1,000 conifer seeds for £6.72

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, b4mbi said:

Here it is! Prof Curran's report.

it's recommending £25m p.a. be thrown at the issue.

The Island's estimated CO2e emissions for a year is 0.8Mt or around 1 week's worth of one Polish coal power station CO2 emissions https://sandbag.org.uk/project/ets-emissions-2018/

I saw the video on the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece of HRH The Chief Minister endorsing Professor Currant Buns report. He was spouting ‘international obligations’, quite frankly he talks some CO2. I didn’t know the IOM was party to Kyoto, Paris Accord and other international climate/environmental agreements? We aren’t a sovereign nation, so if we are talking bollocks and want to ‘spaff away’ taxpayers cash Yearly, on something which is hard to measure and hardly accountable, then all I can think is we are going to be out of money before long. The IOMG vanity project - we spend money we can I’ll afford, whilst many other countries spew out carbon emissions, and have millions more reserves than ours. Incidentally are we going to sacrifice the TT in the altar of global carbon exhaust emissions? Also thjnk of the bikers polluting our lively UNESCO biosphere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I saw the video on the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece of HRH The Chief Minister endorsing Professor Currant Buns report. He was spouting ‘international obligations’, quite frankly he talks some CO2. I didn’t know the IOM was party to Kyoto, Paris Accord and other international climate/environmental agreements? We aren’t a sovereign nation, so if we are talking bollocks and want to ‘spaff away’ taxpayers cash Yearly, on something which is hard to measure and hardly accountable, then all I can think is we are going to be out of money before long. The IOMG vanity project - we spend money we can I’ll afford, whilst many other countries spew out carbon emissions, and have millions more reserves than ours. Incidentally are we going to sacrifice the TT in the altar of global carbon exhaust emissions? Also thjnk of the bikers polluting our lively UNESCO biosphere.

I said from the outset that we shouldn't be trying to go it alone in this, there is a far better placed jurisdiction with responsibility for us, just a few miles to the east which has committed to changes and is likely to have more resources to throw at research and advice than we are! Vanity and lunacy springs to mind, why are we even considering going alone in this? Wait until they start coming for your low emission petrol burner when the UK is still allowing their use, I can imagine the potential for court action!  

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

But that means they can spend the remaining £24,999,993.28 on extra civil servants to administer it.  I'm only joking of course, the money is mainly to go on grants to landowners.  They'll probably then decide that a housing estate is exactly the same as a forest and then pay them extra for selling to Dandara.

It interesting that the climate emergency is clearly considered so urgent that they sat on the report for more than two months before publishing it.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But that means they can spend the remaining £24,999,993.28 on extra civil servants to administer it.  I'm only joking of course, the money is mainly to go on grants to landowners.  They'll probably then decide that a housing estate is exactly the same as a forest and then pay them extra for selling to Dandara.

It interesting that the climate emergency is clearly considered so urgent that they sat on the report for more than two months before publishing it.

Unless I’m mistaken, isn’t HRH The Chief Minister a land owner? 
How much did we pay Currant Bun to produce this tome?

Edited by 2112

1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

And a lot of new DOI and DEFA to manage the plantation. This must the talk of green jobs.

Interesting programme last night, "Apocalypse Cow" which tried to highlight the damage being done to UK's wildlife, landscape and other flora and fauna by intensive raising of livestock for food, ie meat and dairy. To include the release of huge amounts of carbon by the removal of trees to make arable land.

A lady dairy farmer interviewed as part of the programme who received £26k a year in subsidies (you clearly need to get yourself over here, Luv) who imported palm oil/nut supplemented foodstuffs, grown in palm oil plantations on deforested ground in Brunei just to feed her herd as good old British grass was inadequate by itself.

It was interesting stuff and highlighted some of the mad hole that we've dug ourselves into.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes I noticed it had been published to IOMG in October last  year

Surely government has a huge land holding in the uplands on which to plant trees?