2 minutes ago, MrPB said:

Flexitime? What’s that?  I don’t work for government. I can have a late lunch but if I’m over an hour I have to either book the afternoon off or make up the time later. Think a lot of people are living in cloud cuckoo land. If the hospital is 2 miles from where I work I don’t think it’s unreasonable of metro expect to be able to get there in an hour and back and have half an hour to spend visiting someone. If it was 10 miles away then clearly I’d think differently. Neither do I think buying another car at considerable cost just so I can visit a relative is any firm of solution. Do you work for the DOI? 

Give us a rough idea where you work, and I bet there is a better solution to get you do and from the hospital.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If someone falls off a ladder and ends up dying in an ambulance, stuck on the access road, then we need to accept that they died doing something they loved.

They close the road when the ambulance is on the way, they put red lights on each end and the ambulance gets priority.   A new access road will be in place, two way, by 2022, as on MR news at 10.00am.

No. Sorry, but that's absolute bollocks. Just because some people want to close a road and have a motorbike race is absolutely no reason for people to 'accept' they won't have access to emergency medi

Depending on where in Douglas I would probably leave the car in Govenors Hill or on Port e Chee avenue and walk the rest of way to work in the morning.

Then walk to one of the pedestrian bridges and cross over to the car at lunch, and drive rest of the way to hospital.

Not ideal, but only a few days a year.  Or book a taxi from work to the bridge about a fiver I reckon from Douglas.

Or time the drove to St Ninians to coincide with the departure of one of the free shuttle buses from the other side of the pedestrian bridge (I believe these exist, but have never had reason to look into it or use one)

Edited by trmpton

You could have just phoned, said its grand prix, i'll call up later/another time when the roads are open, instead of attempting something that you knew would be a nightmare? They'd understand.

Probably be glad of the break from your relentless negativity too.

• Haha 2
15 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

The wall between the road and acess road needs demolishing. Move the main road across and the bikes can zoom down a little track on the rugby field side and then have a little tunnel under the road and pop up again by the church. 

I believe you are finally accepting the races as part of island life?

Just for info, emergencies do take priority over racing, a way has always been found to allow access for emergency vehicles to attend in a timely fashion.

I agree about the access road though. A better solution would have negated a lot of the negative feelings for the races!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MrPB said:

Flexitime? What’s that?  I don’t work for government. I can have a late lunch but if I’m over an hour I have to either book the afternoon off or make up the time later. Think a lot of people are living in cloud cuckoo land. If the hospital is 2 miles from where I work I don’t think it’s unreasonable of me to expect to be able to get there in an hour and back and have half an hour to spend visiting someone. If it was 10 miles away then clearly I’d think differently. The only reason for the delays is stupid bike racing which nobody is watching anyway and bad planning. Neither do I think buying another car at considerable cost just so I can visit a relative in hospital is any form of solution. Do you work for the DOI? 

Why not visit later when the racing is finished?

9 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I believe you are finally accepting the races as part of island life?

Just for info, emergencies do take priority over racing, a way has always been found to allow access for emergency vehicles to attend in a timely fashion.

I agree about the access road though. A better solution would have negated a lot of the negative feelings for the races!

Sorry Max, but I'll never be accepting of the taxpayer funded death and carnage on our roads that is passed off as a Festival. With time, we will ultimately witness the end of it all. 

But away from that, you make some reasoned points about the access road.  It's not right that people (the majority) are inconvenienced by the motorcycling minority. 

Rerouting the bikes on to the current access road would be a big improvement and then a little jump up to Braddan Church. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, kevster said:

Why not visit later when the racing is finished?

No doubt because they have a penchant for closing the roads again from 6pm - 8.30pm to do any racing they couldn't do in the daytime session. Most wards stop visiting hours at 8pm... theres no guarantee the roads won't be closed on a whim by the organisers... that's probably why.

7 hours ago, BallaDoc said:

I think maybe if you choose to live on the IOM (or the Orkneys, or the Shetlands, or the Outer Hebrides, or the Falkland Islands, etc) you have to accept that there are times when you just don't have access to the same medical services you would have if you lived in, say, Liverpool, and in extreme cases, you just have to die without complaining and that's that.  That may sound a bit harsh but you can't just make every place the same as every other place in terms of access to services.  The IOM is unique in many good ways and also in a few bad ways and people who want to live here should accept that.

For access in and out by regular people (i.e. non-critically-ill people) I see there is a lot of discussion on Manx Radio at the moment:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/commuters-annoyed-and-frustrated-with-tt-access-road/

about what a pain in the ass the TT access road is.  And it is, indeed, a monumental pain in the ass as I found to my cost when I got stuck on it for half an hour earlier this week.  But that was my own fault: I usually plan ahead, park my car outside the course and walk into inside the course over a footbridge.  More people should do that instead of expecting round the clock car access.

Hear what you say about living on a remote island being riskier to health than living in a city where the best of care at a centre of excellence is close at hand. We accept this as a quid pro quo of the benefits of island living, of which there are many. However, the remoteness of the territory is simply the geography, somewhat different to the self-inflicted difficulties caused by the races.

I've always taken the view that the races are part of the Island and they were here long before me. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to make things better. At the very least there should be a wider access road. It might have been just about acceptable before the new Nobles was built, but certainly that development should have come with a better solution. I've thought in the past that there might be scope to build an underpass beneath the bottom of Bray Hill to Tromode Road in place of the traffic lights. I've sometimes sat in the queue on the access road thinking what a bloody mess there would be if a couple of bikes collided, took to the air and landed on the traffic queue. Well, we died doing what they loved.

I think that there is more tolerance for the TT than for the FoM and the communication regarding the road closures is better too. This week, they have disrupted every working day due to delays and there has been confusion over whether the roads were closing again in the evenings. Very poor organisation putting out mixed messages. As somebody else said, there seem to be very few people here. Are there any figures out yet?

• Like 2

If people who are scared of being in close proximity with other motor vehicles whilst moving and unable to judge the size and position of their vehicle, Or are just shite at driving stayed away from the access road life would be so much easier. The people in the chelsea tractors with white knuckles ai'nt so happy with their choice of vehicle whilst driving the access road.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

If people who are scared of being in close proximity with other motor vehicles whilst moving and unable to judge the size and position of their vehicle, Or are just shite at driving stayed away from the access road life would be so much easier. The people in the chelsea tractors with white knuckles ai'nt so happy with their choice of vehicle whilst driving the access road.

Or anywhere!

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, woolley said:

I think that there is more tolerance for the TT than for the FoM and the communication regarding the road closures is better too. This week, they have disrupted every working day due to delays and there has been confusion over whether the roads were closing again in the evenings. Very poor organisation putting out mixed messages. As somebody else said, there seem to be very few people here. Are there any figures out yet?

Really strange because the organisation is exactly the same? 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Max Power said:

Really strange because the organisation is exactly the same? 

Yes. I've never know so many people exasperated about what is going on with the roads this week. Obviously the weather hasn't helped.