Cold calling too far?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good band name.

It would be interesting to know how many locals are tempted to sign up to the Watchtower Society. Not many, I would imagine. It has a problem with retention of worshippers, with a growing number of it

Posted Images

It would be interesting to know how many locals are tempted to sign up to the Watchtower Society. Not many, I would imagine. It has a problem with retention of worshippers, with a growing number of its younger members becoming quickly disillusioned by the regime with many hundreds of cases of sexual and physical abuse and impropriety currently being pursued through the courts of many US states.

It's worth remembering that globally, every day babies are born into 'dangerous' sects, and start their early lives in worship to some God or other as soon as they can form ideas.

Jehova's Witnesses are a but another festering boil on the arsehole of religion. 

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Saw JW recruiters in strand street the other day and was wondering why a dangerous cult is allowed to look for new victims in this way.

Agree, but in at least in public you have the choice of whether to approach them or not.

When they are banging on your door and you don't know its them until  you open your door, it is a different thing, A couple of my elderly neighbours find them frightening,

A mate of mine has started getting their phone camera out when these religious bods appear and starts photographing them and their cars. Apparently, they don't like that as it means they can be identified. But at least it gives evidence to show the police of potential harassment.

3 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Saw JW recruiters in strand street the other day and was wondering why a dangerous cult is allowed to look for new victims in this way.

What is John recruiting for...

16 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I had a woman called on me a couple of months ago, what sickened me she had a lovely little girl with her which obviously is the softening tool.    I was extremely polite and told her I was not interested but was very uncomfortable with the situation.

If any cold caller attends with child in tow, or uses child to knock on door, I make it clear that I believe it’s child abuse and that if they don’t leave the street immediately, or if I see them out proselytising with a child again,  I will be calling the police and child care.

• Like 2

Equally sickening is when you get the whole family at the door, father, mother and 2 kids as I had a few months ago.

I am not anti-religion, each to their own. But I do object when religious people come uninvited to my front door and I have no legal mechanism to stop them. Yet, according to Mr Perkins MHK, if they offer to clean my gutters (and this is not an euphemism), this would be deemed cold calling and I would have a legal remedy.

The politicians aren't interested in legislating to regulate them for fear of upsetting other religious groups, and the Police are understandably too busy dealing with criminal activity. However, posing as a JW or other group, and wandering around estates going up to people's doors and having a look around to see if anyone is in, gives criminals the ability to to 'case a joint' without raising too much suspicion and in the knowledge that most people will just see them as religious zealots. Perhaps the spate of burglaries we had a few years ago was carried out with the assistance of religion and who those who committed the crimes were 'spirited away'?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Galen said:

Equally sickening is when you get the whole family at the door, father, mother and 2 kids as I had a few months ago.

I'd suggest you say you're certainly not going to join a church that doesn't provide baby-sitting.

(Seriously, when did this proselytising with kids attached start?  I can't remember it years ago).

• Like 1

Bringing the family to the door is perhaps intended to show that the particular religious group is all inclusive and family friendly - or it could be because the parents can't get baby sitters while they do their religious endeavours?

In fairness it was a Saturday morning when 'they called'. The kids though were only toddlers. I felt really sorry for them, but perhaps that is the parent's ploy to reign you in!

• Like 1

We have a small blackboard in our porch for friends to leave a message. Was surprised to find a message to call JW.com. Of course I didn't 'cos I know what the web site is, however, a few days later there was a box of chalks wrapped in a ribbon with a message that god provides??

In truth, I felt a little rattled, I don't know, a feeling of my privacy being violated. I've put a big sign on the board saying religious salesman are not wanted but still, somehow, not nice.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, John Wright said:

If any cold caller attends with child in tow, or uses child to knock on door, I make it clear that I believe it’s child abuse and that if they don’t leave the street immediately, or if I see them out proselytising with a child again,  I will be calling the police and child care.

Good for you - excellent and appropriate response.

• Like 1