Cold calling too far?

19 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

We have a small blackboard in our porch for friends to leave a message. Was surprised to find a message to call JW.com. Of course I didn't 'cos I know what the web site is, however, a few days later there was a box of chalks wrapped in a ribbon with a message that god provides??

In truth, I felt a little rattled, I don't know, a feeling of my privacy being violated. I've put a big sign on the board saying religious salesman are not wanted but still, somehow, not nice.

That’s fucking creepy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good band name.

It would be interesting to know how many locals are tempted to sign up to the Watchtower Society. Not many, I would imagine. It has a problem with retention of worshippers, with a growing number of it

Posted Images

I am a little surprised our local Information Commissioner has not been vocal about a degree of regulation of the doorstep religious groups must comply with thanks to GDPR

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/07/15/jehovahs-witnesses-must-ask-permission-collecting-personal-data/

https://gdpr.report/news/2018/07/12/jehovahs-witnesses-suffer-smite-via-the-wrath-of-european-privacy-laws/

This also makes interesting reading

https://avoidjw.org/en/policies-procedures/general-data-protection-regulation/

GDPR is a step in the right direction, but classing religious groups as cold callers in a similar way to those attempting to sell other services on the doorstep would be a good way forward. Perhaps JW could comment on the legality of such groups arriving unannounced and uninvited on the doorstep vis a vis a private householders right to privacy under the Human Rights Act.?

Edited by Galen
addition URL and typo
3 hours ago, John Wright said:

If any cold caller attends with child in tow, or uses child to knock on door, I make it clear that I believe it’s child abuse and that if they don’t leave the street immediately, or if I see them out proselytising with a child again,  I will be calling the police and child care.

Not coming trick or treating to your house then :)

• Haha 1
59 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

We have a small blackboard in our porch for friends to leave a message. Was surprised to find a message to call JW.com. Of course I didn't 'cos I know what the web site is, however, a few days later there was a box of chalks wrapped in a ribbon with a message that god provides??

In truth, I felt a little rattled, I don't know, a feeling of my privacy being violated. I've put a big sign on the board saying religious salesman are not wanted but still, somehow, not nice.

Put this notice on your gate.

Dear religious peeps.

“If you negotiate the minefields on the drive and beat the dogs and cheat the cold electronic eyes 

And if you make it past the shotgun in the hall, dial the combination, open the priest hole 

and if I’m in I’ll tell you .......................to @@@@ right off”

(copyright Pink Floyd)

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

What amazes me is that some 750 people are now involved with this lost hopers group...some of them apparently intelligent and you'd think they'd know better.

Lazy arses too daft to try and understand the world around them.

Guess it's easier to not think and just accept Jebus....who against all GDPR principles openly advertises his address.

Someone will nick his identity soon if he's not careful. And fool lots of people  to raise lots of cash or something for a home of his own.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

yes but it's blessed chalk! who knows what'll happen if we use it or even touch it,   yeeechh! we might be tainted with hymns or something.

Have you been tempted to write some psalms yet...