Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
foxdaleliberationfront

Laurence Wants a New Grandstand

42 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well that's according to the article on pages 62-3 of the September Manx Life (they don't seem to do online, so you'll have to root around in the recycling bin).  How enthusiastic Southworth and the Museum are about the idea is another matter and the Manx Life article is mainly about the joys of the current exhibit rather than the promise of what is scheduled to replace it.

The folk gallery is an icon of Manx heritage interpretation

There's a write up in The Independent on the Museum plans.
 Could be there may be some backlash from people as they realise the loss of the Folklore gallery?

I think the idea of a Bike Museum at the new Grandstand was first mooted here on MF? Tho' when the DfE get hold of the idea to back up their plans and need for a new Grandstand, then RC may be conflicted whether to support the Museum or the Grandstand???

Of course, the building will take years so the gallery could start off in the Museum and then be moved to the Grandstand?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

There are already some TT exhibits in the Manx Museum but the idea is for there to be dedicated gallery dedicated to the races.  Rather than building a new gallery they are getting rid of the Folklife Gallery in the basement and putting the machines etc down there.  The idea has been around for at least a year, but they seem to be going public more with it now.

I suspect this is because of political pressure than any real desire to display the TT.  It's not really a suitable place for displaying machinery and related  items, there's not really the space of the more open environment in which such things look their best.  The Museum really doesn't have much of a collection to display or space to build up such.  And there are already dedicated motorcycle museums on the Island: Murrays Motorcycles in Santon and the A.R.E. Motorcycle Collection in Kirk Michael, plus substantial motorcycle display at the Manx Motor Museum, and a smaller collection of older vehicles at Milntown.  Apologies to any others that I have missed.  Why there is a need for another one is a bit of a mystery.

There's also the way in which it will mean the removal of the Folklife gallery.  Not only is this important in telling us how our ordinary ancestors lived and worked, it is important in its own right.  Older people will tell you how it has changed little since their childhood and the Manx Life article says some parts date back to 1938.  Not only does this give it a particular and authentic charm but it means it is probably the oldest and first such display in the British Isles, just as Cregneash is probably the oldest open air museum.  As such it is important in the history of museums.  Certainly the gallery itself could do with some sympathetic updating and maybe better signposting, but it seems a pity to get rid of it just to reproduce something done better and with knowledgeable enthusiasm by a number of other, non-government places on the Island.

But the 'sponsoring Department' of MNH is the Department of Enterprise (Rob Callister is an MNH Trustee) and clearly they see this as a way of promoting their golden goose, whether suitably or not.

MNH: "We are not a museum of museums"

2 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Of course, the building will take years so the gallery could start off in the Museum and then be moved to the Grandstand?

According to that article it isn't scheduled to open till at least 2022, so if there's going to be a new one elsewhere it hardly seems worth doing it for such a short time.

But even from the viewpoint of TT fans I don't think the space in the Museum basement is particularly suitable and they have so many  alternatives that it just looks like a typical IOMG case of trying to expensively replicate something that the private sector is already doing.  If we need TT displays, maybe something separate with MNH working with the enthusiasts  to provide something would be the way forward (not necessarily at the Grandstand). 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Kopek said:

There's a write up in The Independent on the Museum plans.
 Could be there may be some backlash from people as they realise the loss of the Folklore gallery?

I think the idea of a Bike Museum at the new Grandstand was first mooted here on MF? Tho' when the DfE get hold of the idea to back up their plans and need for a new Grandstand, then RC may be conflicted whether to support the Museum or the Grandstand???

I mooted in yonks ago

But there may have been others

• Like 1

I believe this will be more a motorsport gallery rather than just dedicated to the TT. There are likely to be exhibits relating to the car racing years, Gordon Bennett, Empire Trophy, RAC TT etc, car rallying, off road sport and of course TT, MGP and S100 etc. Not a lot of room down there for much really?

I heard that there may be a little MonoRail around it as there won't be any space on the floor to walk!!!

• Like 1

It might have the fireplace Gorden Bennett famously pissed in

1 minute ago, Kopek said:

I heard that there may be a little MonoRail around it as there won't be any space on the floor to walk!!!

The overhead monorail, at last it's day will come!

Edited by Donald Trumps

48 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

It might have the fireplace Gorden Bennett famously pissed in

I thought that was Chris Kingston? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Best not to drink carafe wine with him!!!

The IOM Newspapers piece (presumably from the Indy) is now online with the Museum people insisting that the museum trustees have not been put under any pressure from government to create a TT gallery.  Which the cynical among us will take as confirmation that the opposite is true, if only because it has all the hallmarks of an incompetent DfE idea.  And it wouldn't be the first time that there had been political interference to shift MNH's budget to projects they didn't see as top priority.

They're right that the current gallery is under-visited, though I suspect that's mainly because a lot of people don't know it is there (the Museum is confusing at best and could generally be better signposted).  But that could be sympathetically enhanced and the gallery itself is not really suitable for the sort of display that would suit the target audience for a TT gallery (bikers like to walk round bikes).  Though I suppose Dr Pantin's kettle would fit in both.

• Like 3

I suggest the Folk Gallery be opened in the evenings as a party venue

1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

I suggest the Folk Gallery be opened in the evenings as a party venue

Bonnag, spuds and herrin’ buffet and plenty of deedle-eedle-dydle-deedle music.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Bonnag, spuds and herrin’ buffet and plenty of deedle-eedle-dydle-deedle music.

And a maypole, please let there be a maypole 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1