Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
foxdaleliberationfront

Laurence Wants a New Grandstand

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Most definitely.  How long have you been here ?

Long enough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Kopek said:

Better elsewhere? Manannan? 10 quid entry, so that would be OK.

.but MNH say the TT gallery would be popular, so wouldn't it be a wise  move to put it somewhere that requires an entrance fee?

This is the case for having a 'pay to enter' attraction at the newly redeveloped Grandstand to raise cash for MNH & help the Grandstand pay it's way

Not sure the MNH case that the last time they did a bike exhibition it was extremely successful holds water as it was in TT centenary year and it is unlikley there'll ever be that many TT fans over here again in such numbers

Edited by Donald Trumps
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the Island actually need a permanent structure for events that cover 4 weeks a year? Street circuits around the world, such as in F1, cope with temporary grandstands, pit area and hospitality.

Don't build one. Would save millions of £. While they're at it lose that embarrassment  of a scoreboard. Made of wood, times painted on, manned by scouts. FFS just scrap it and get a decent electronic one wheeled in when needed. 

However I expect we'll get a structure with a price tag fit for a Premier League football club and retain the scoreboard.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If other events could use the facility it would make a lot of sense to build a multi purpose area. Maybe a lot of demolition around the Willaston circuit, widening run off areas and creating gravel traps and spectator areas to create a short GP style venue? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Twitch said:

Does the Island actually need a permanent structure for events that cover 4 weeks a year? Street circuits around the world, such as in F1, cope with temporary grandstands, pit area and hospitality.

Don't build one. Would save millions of £. While they're at it lose that embarrassment  of a scoreboard. Made of wood, times painted on, manned by scouts. FFS just scrap it and get a decent electronic one wheeled in when needed. 

However I expect we'll get a structure with a price tag fit for a Premier League football club and retain the scoreboard.

I totally agree. If we as an island could actually show a prowess to building large infrastructure projects to time and within budgets, without upsetting virtually all the populace within the vicinity then I would have some sympathy and would recommend that a feasibility study be carried out. Unfortunately everything we touch instead of turning to gold turns and crumbles into a smelly dust. Let’s face it we can’t do the promenade refurbishment without upsetting everyone, which really is a miracle.

16 minutes ago, Max Power said:

If other events could use the facility it would make a lot of sense to build a multi purpose area. Maybe a lot of demolition around the Willaston circuit, widening run off areas and creating gravel traps and spectator areas to create a short GP style venue? 

I thought you have Jurby Monotonous Drome. Another drain on the taxpayer. If the Isle of Man was in the same financial league as Singapore, which has a proper Motorsports street circuit, or Macau where the Grand Prix is due to race in a few weeks, then again I may think of supporting such a scheme. Sadly we haven’t got a proverbial pot, we are on our arse and there aren’t enough tourists or motorcycle tourists which would pay for another street circuit. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Max Power said:

If other events could use the facility it would make a lot of sense to build a multi purpose area. Maybe a lot of demolition around the Willaston circuit, widening run off areas and creating gravel traps and spectator areas to create a short GP style venue? 

Never happen. Lots around the old Willaston circuit is now established residential including new build. Nobody is going to drop that in the name of a new street short circuit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Max Power said:

Like I said it’s too small to be significant so better elsewhere!

2,000 + signatures ought to be enough for a question to be asked in Tynwald

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

2,000 + signatures ought to be enough for a question to be asked in Tynwald

Might draw a question but it would still be ignored. 6000+ signed opposing the shit tax.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=51496&headline='Specious': MNH case to close its folklife gallery is 'specious'&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2019

if you look at the article the folk gallery is planned to be closed in January next year for it to be reopened as a new exhibit in Summer 2022.

Me thinks Skelly, Callister and the Starship Enterprise are looking to go on a spending splurge purchasing artifacts at above guided prices to fill an empty basement, along with motorcycles. If this mob spent as much time sorting out the Festival of Jurby as opposed to floating ideas and Possibly heavily persuading Government Quangos to scrap current exhibitions, to create new ones. 
 

Incidentally, why isn’t the Villa Marina Arcade used to house TT memorabilia. Maybe someone will say it’s not safe and a likelihood of theft. Theft on the Isle of Man ........... never! The Politicos will keep telling you how safe it is and crime on the island is non-existent (hence the reason to disband the Department of Home Affairs).

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really, if they have to change it, they should find the puppets from Silverdale, make it a grotto. That's the kind of thing that should be in a basement.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, 2112 said:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=51496&headline='Specious': MNH case to close its folklife gallery is 'specious'&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2019

if you look at the article the folk gallery is planned to be closed in January next year for it to be reopened as a new exhibit in Summer 2022.

Me thinks Skelly, Callister and the Starship Enterprise are looking to go on a spending splurge purchasing artifacts at above guided prices to fill an empty basement, along with motorcycles. If this mob spent as much time sorting out the Festival of Jurby as opposed to floating ideas and Possibly heavily persuading Government Quangos to scrap current exhibitions, to create new ones. 
 

Incidentally, why isn’t the Villa Marina Arcade used to house TT memorabilia. Maybe someone will say it’s not safe and a likelihood of theft. Theft on the Isle of Man ........... never! The Politicos will keep telling you how safe it is and crime on the island is non-existent (hence the reason to disband the Department of Home Affairs).

Some excellent point 2112, especially with regards to the Villa Marina Arcade. 
 

DfE hasn’t spent any money on memorabilia - the decision to replace the folk galley with a TT exhibition was made by Manx National Heritage.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rob Callister said:

Some excellent point 2112, especially with regards to the Villa Marina Arcade. 
 

DfE hasn’t spent any money on memorabilia - the decision to replace the folk galley with a TT exhibition was made by Manx National Heritage.

 

But you and your fellow MHKs are meant to be in charge, not MNH.

Have you forgotten that ? It’s what you are paid for !!!!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MrPB said:

He seems to be suggesting that you will not that you have as yet. 

Also aren’t you on MHN as well as being responsible to Motorsport at the DFE? So presumably you are conflicted if MHN is tearing up heritage features and replacing them with Motorsport exhibits instead? 

Dead right there.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

But you and your fellow MHKs are meant to be in charge, not MNH.

Err,  this isn't right now is it? MNH are in charge of what goes in the museums no? MHK's should stay out of it.

 

11 minutes ago, Rob Callister said:

 

DfE hasn’t spent any money on memorabilia

Ever?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...