Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
foxdaleliberationfront

Laurence Wants a New Grandstand

21 minutes ago, 2112 said:

No.

actually there is a all electric class in Moro GP series, with some of the big manufacturers taking part. My guess is this has a greater pull and no headaches, and certainly easier promoters than having to deal with Skelly and Callister and the Starship Enterprise 

Actually there is only one manufacturer who builds all of the machines for this. 

2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Just bin the “racing” full stop. Everyone wins

you almost forgot that the classic/ vintage car racing was binned because a driver died

hitting the hedge by Cronk y Berry school. That was deemed to close a call. You would then, on your thinking , have to move the school. The othe4 thing is ( I know you’re kidding but) Glen Park is nowhere near that road, it is Cronk y Berry you mean, I think .

Yes, Cronk y Berry, but that would be gone anyway. 

The car racing was stopped due to the amount of building in the area, especially the Cat with no tail, I'd forgotten about there being a fatality, there was one during one of the rallies last year also.

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

Actually there is only one manufacturer who builds all of the machines for this. 

So?

This was the case with Indy Cars Series in the US, with UK made chassis, Lola I think made them. 

But I am quite sure that Motorcycle manufacturers  are involved in the eMotoGP series. I am sorry but the IOM has been a busted flush as regard eMotos and new technology. If the entries have dropped either Starship Enterprise have screwed up, offering poor rewards and shite exposure. As it is it won’t be easy getting sponsors for the TT once current sponsorship deals expire - still locate.im can sponsor every race and the Steam Packet can sponsor the blue riband event Senior TT, followed by increasing fares the following year - till the pips squeak!

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2019/03/26/new-motoe-calendar-announced/287184

I am sorry but I would be worried, the TT golden goose has been slaughtered. 

Edited by 2112

It's just symptomatic of the whole current approach to the TT and the TT Zero.

There's been a total reluctance to modify and adopt the rules to keep the playing field level and encourage development - in anything other than the pursuit of higher and higher outright lap speeds.

The petrol bikes are more evenly matched through years of competitive evolution of petrol powered bikes from manufacturers around the globe down the ages.

The TT Zero being a newer phenomenon has seen one manufacturer run away with the game in its shorter time - because it's been allowed to by the organisers whose interest has been limited to seeing them going faster and faster. So we now have a dwindling class of 10 runners dominated by a manufacturer who wheels out a totally unattainable and non-applicable to any everyday use machine.

The same obsessive approach to increasing speed will more than likely see the end of the petrol bikes too. Let's just hope it doesn't involve mass fatalities.

The event is being run by blinkered clowns intent on just funding pensions.

• Like 2

The Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece speaks - 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/tt-zero-race-dropped-from-schedule/

A couple of things concern me is Starship Enterprise  talking to teams and manufacturers to see how they can expand the class? In 2 years? In all fairness and being realistic technology has evolved at such a pace, it may overtake current petrol based motorcycle technology. 

Secondly IOMG or rather we the taxpayer stumps up £10,000 prize money for this race? Is the race sponsored and don’t the sponsors stump up the prize money? 

Starship Enterprise talk about a Moratorium on this race for 2020 and 2021. Does that mean that the FIM eMoto GP won’t be raced next year or the year after?

What does this mean for IOMG and it’s Cleantech industries that it is ramming down our throats and Stsrship Enterprise are chucking money at like there’s no tomorrow? Is it viable or is it still the case of suck it and see? Have we replaced the high stakes gamble of film production with untried and untested trendy new wave and natural clean resources? This TT Zero race was supposed to be a way to develop or is this the usual Starship Enterprise bollocks? Overall I’m not surprised, disappointed that money is being frittered away with nothing whatsoever to show.

HRH The Chief Minister has encouraged people to get off their fat arses and cycle to work and his brain dead administration has emphasised on a non stop basis that there is a climate emergency in this island. They conflicting messages and another Manx Muddle as usual.

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Max Power said:

didn't they all go up in flames.........

11 hours ago, Max Power said:

I'd forgotten about there being a fatality, there was one during one of the rallies last year also.

Don't worry, most TT apologists do forget the deaths as soon as the calendar turns a page. 

14 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Just bin the “racing” full stop. Everyone wins

you almost forgot that the classic/ vintage car racing was binned because a driver died

hitting the hedge by Cronk y Berry school. That was deemed to close a call. You would then, on your thinking , have to move the school. The othe4 thing is ( I know you’re kidding but) Glen Park is nowhere near that road, it is Cronk y Berry you mean, I think .

Don't forget we're talking to a TT apologist, they all have a massive sense of entitlement to tax payers' cash to support their events 'becuase the Island relies on them'. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

Don't forget we're talking to a TT apologist, they all have a massive sense of entitlement to tax payers' cash to support their events 'becuase the Island relies on them'. 

Pretty sure Max is posting with his tongue in his cheek.:whistling:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 2112 said:

So?

This was the case with Indy Cars Series in the US, with UK made chassis, Lola I think made them. 

But I am quite sure that Motorcycle manufacturers  are involved in the eMotoGP series. I am sorry but the IOM has been a busted flush as regard eMotos and new technology. If the entries have dropped either Starship Enterprise have screwed up, offering poor rewards and shite exposure. As it is it won’t be easy getting sponsors for the TT once current sponsorship deals expire - still locate.im can sponsor every race and the Steam Packet can sponsor the blue riband event Senior TT, followed by increasing fares the following year - till the pips squeak!

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2019/03/26/new-motoe-calendar-announced/287184

I am sorry but I would be worried, the TT golden goose has been slaughtered. 

That's not the point I was making, Energica have been paid to produce twenty or so identical machines for the series. The TT Zero race attracts more diversity, although in low numbers. Perhaps some of the Energica bikes will eventually find their way here when TT Zero is revived? 

11 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

It's just symptomatic of the whole current approach to the TT and the TT Zero.

There's been a total reluctance to modify and adopt the rules to keep the playing field level and encourage development - in anything other than the pursuit of higher and higher outright lap speeds.

The petrol bikes are more evenly matched through years of competitive evolution of petrol powered bikes from manufacturers around the globe down the ages.

The TT Zero being a newer phenomenon has seen one manufacturer run away with the game in its shorter time - because it's been allowed to by the organisers whose interest has been limited to seeing them going faster and faster. So we now have a dwindling class of 10 runners dominated by a manufacturer who wheels out a totally unattainable and non-applicable to any everyday use machine.

The same obsessive approach to increasing speed will more than likely see the end of the petrol bikes too. Let's just hope it doesn't involve mass fatalities.

The event is being run by blinkered clowns intent on just funding pensions.

I guess the higher speeds reflect the advances made? Some of the University entrants have been getting very close to Mugen and the winning Moto Czis effort unfortunately petered out following the death of the founder. I guess that the emphasis could have been more towards distance covered than outright speed but I don't think the technology is quite there yet? When two Teslas were used during last years TT Zero, they struggled to get back after two laps, and they have a supposed 300m range!

I'm sure this decision must have been made due to the costs involved for the benefit received? MotoE is run at MotoGP events, I don't think it's been enthusiastically received, despite its higher profile and live TV coverage. It has been forced rather than being something that people want to watch and only runs for seven laps of approx 3m each. 

2 hours ago, woody2 said:

didn't they all go up in flames.........

They did, due to a charging fault. They had to build another batch and mobile pit complex. 

Interestingly, the fire equipment consists of a caterpillar tracked vehicle to lift the burning bike into a container which it tows along, this is sealed while the bike is allowed to burn itself out!

2 hours ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

Don't worry, most TT apologists do forget the deaths as soon as the calendar turns a page. 

Just when I thought we were getting along!

I'm not a TT apologist, I just defend it against rabid and uninformed attacks where I can. And I certainly don't just forget about deaths and injuries.

The "moratorium" for TT Zero reflects a lack of enthusiasm  for the race and a consequential lack of thought and foresight about the way forward. Like all motor sport, the TT has to be innovative and be prepared to take some risk in order to build interest and competitiveness in "sustainable" energy machinery. Failure to do so will lead to the event becoming a heritage machine event with an even smaller niche market. Maybe the 2 year break is giving the Organisers and Promoters time to think more innovatively and, if this is the case, the announcement about the break ought to have been accompanied with some ideas and/or consultation effort about how the races might be developed. 

The fundamental problem is that motor sport fans tend to be a fairly conservative bunch with, usually, long associations with petrol-powered machinery. Who knows what the future of 4 and 2 wheeled transport (and with it, racing) holds, but the most certain thing is that it is unlikely to be oil-powered, for reasons of cost/supply and environment. The future is also certain not to involve the current TT fan-base, due to the ageing demographic of it. As a result, the only way to make the TT sustainable, even for the period representing the return on investment for Skelly's new Grandstand, is to concentrate on new technology and sustainable energy. I worry that the 2 year moratorium will just be a 2 year break, after which it will be difficult to generate fresh enthusiasm for zero emission racing and the status of the TT being at the forefront of this technology will have been lost. It is a poor decision and reflects the fact that, to get to this position, insufficient thought and inadequate strategy has led to the TT falling behind the curve. There is a preoccupation with speed and records. That is fine, to a point, but reflects limited thinking and a one-year to the next thought process. It's not good enough in changing times.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, joebean said:

The "moratorium" for TT Zero reflects a lack of enthusiasm  for the race and a consequential lack of thought and foresight about the way forward. Like all motor sport, the TT has to be innovative and be prepared to take some risk in order to build interest and competitiveness in "sustainable" energy machinery. Failure to do so will lead to the event becoming a heritage machine event with an even smaller niche market. Maybe the 2 year break is giving the Organisers and Promoters time to think more innovatively and, if this is the case, the announcement about the break ought to have been accompanied with some ideas and/or consultation effort about how the races might be developed. 

It’s very short sighted indeed as aguably TT Zero is the future of the TT long term as fossil fuel use gets more difficult to justify. I bet they’ve only put the stops on as other teams have complained they won’t be turning up in future as the two main bikes kick their asses by a mile in competition. Which would make the decision even more short sighted and more of a political decision to try to save the event than anything else. All these things make sense to civil servants and not normal people. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It does nothing for the "We are leading in eco and bio-sphere" malarkey. The situation, as previously posted, has come about as a result of the blinkered pursuit of speed in the name of revenue.

Which is a shame as it could have been so much more and brought the TT back as being an event of development for relevant and useful new technology. Instead that will now more than likely be pursued elsewhere.

• Like 1

I'd urge the Quayle government to reiterate it's commitment to fighting climate change, relaunch TT Zero & scrap all the races that produce significantly high HC and CO emissions