Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
foxdaleliberationfront

Laurence Wants a New Grandstand

Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, woody2 said:

didn't they just spend a fortune on buying the tent.........

They have no idea what constitutes a fortune ! money has no meaning to them I am not even sure if they inhabit the same earth as us mere mortals !! (taxpayers)

Edited by asitis
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somebody should give him a large cactus as an enema

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Skelly and the Starship Enterprise wish for a new grandstand and one of its reasoning for justification, is that it will be used for weddings and corporate events all year round.

Unless I am mistaken, I thought that many TT fans come to the island to get married, at various venues, including Castletown and Douglas Registry Office. So let’s knock this off the list as it’s an expensive reasoning. 

Secondly if the Starship Enterprise argue that the venue will be used as venue for Wedding receptions and other such events like dinners, again they are totally out of order, This function is taken up by the Hotels like the Sefton, Palace, Commis and Empress, and not forgetting the Claremont and there are other venues for receptions. I am sure these venues will be furious if they lose business to Government. Again many of these Hotels are funded by the taxpayer. It should also be noted of the uproar that occurred when IOMG helped its friends at the Sefton Group. I forgot to mention that we as tax payers are now going to be part funding the wages of kitchen staff in the hospitality industry. I can only be assumed and it’s not rocket science to say that the Starship Enterprise and Skelly are salivating at the thought of TT fans getting married on the island, and it’s obvious they want a piece of the action, destroying other businesses in the process, yet this whole department claims its creating jobs? 

What would Chris Robertshaw have to say if Government was stealing or depriving the Sefton Group and other Hotels of much needed business?

Will the new Hospitality Suite be used for Corporate, and Christmas parties, again depriving other business of opportunities? 

Thirdly, I understand that we currently have a ‘TT’ Hospitality Marquee at the Grandstand, Ive been told that it cost Government, £400,000. That’s a very expensive Marquee. Many would argue that its money frittered away, not a wise investment. But that’s the Civil Servants both in IOMG and the Starship Enterprise for you - lots of qualifications, but fcuk all common sense and living in the real world. It is quite obvious that zero thought, particularly as to who Government were wishing to compete with. 

A final and sobering thought - if this scheme is nodded through as with most things, due to our most useless Politicos having zero backbone, it will be amazing if it turns in a profit. After all can’t run the hospital catering and schools efficiently. Also if there are fatalities at any practices or races, it will leave a poor taste, celebrations, wining and dining!

I could go on with questions, same with other MF posters.

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the roadworks on Alexander Drive/Alexander Drive are taken forever and a day, I dread to think of the pain, suffering, hardship and inconvenience to residents and the travelling public, when Glencrutchery Road is both dug up and resurfaced. No doubt it will be the usual Manx Muddle, Miscommunication and obstruction as per Government method of working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 2112 said:

If the roadworks on Alexander Drive/Alexander Drive are taken forever and a day, I dread to think of the pain, suffering, hardship and inconvenience to residents and the travelling public, when Glencrutchery Road is both dug up and resurfaced. No doubt it will be the usual Manx Muddle, Miscommunication and obstruction as per Government method of working.

you forgot to add the word expensive before your list of adjectives !

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 2112 said:

If the roadworks on Alexander Drive/Alexander Drive are taken forever and a day, I dread to think of the pain, suffering, hardship and inconvenience to residents and the travelling public, when Glencrutchery Road is both dug up and resurfaced. No doubt it will be the usual Manx Muddle, Miscommunication and obstruction as per Government method of working.

Where is this Alexander Drive / Alexander Drive junction then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Business Case for this proposal has to be made public in order that the assumptions upon which it is grounded can be scrutinised, not merely by our MHKs, but by more expert and discerning individuals who can have some input into a decision to spend their money. I could neither support or oppose the proposal based on a lack of information. I suspect the wedding and dinners element of the Business Case is only a small part of the earnings identified to contribute to a return on the (significant) investment, but this must be considered, as said above, in terms of providing unfair competition to the private sector. Unless, of course this is just part of a continuing "strategy" to support Enterprise whilst extending  public ownership in every possible sector.

Edited by joebean
repeated word
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, joebean said:

I suspect the wedding and dinners element of the Business Case is only a small part of the earnings identified to contribute to a return on the (significant) investment, but this must be considered,

And even that’s pretty much using taxpayers money to just steal all the wedding trade from Talk of the Town right next door who seem to have invested to be a wedding venue. That’s the only business case IOMG can rustle up usually - stealing someone else’s ideas and using other people’s cash to put private businesses out of business to keep civil servants employed providing services that lose money. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joebean said:

The Business Case for this proposal has to be made public in order that the assumptions upon which it is grounded can be scrutinised, not merely by our MHKs, but by more expert and discerning individuals who can have some input into a decision to spend their money. I could neither support or oppose the proposal based on a lack of information. I suspect the wedding and dinners element of the Business Case is only a small part of the earnings identified to contribute to a return on the (significant) investment, but this must be considered, as said above, in terms of providing unfair competition to the private sector. Unless, of course this is just part of a continuing "strategy" to support Enterprise whilst extending  public ownership in every possible sector.

Most of the business cases used by Government to justify their largesse would have a boardroom in fits of laughter, fractionally before the presenter was fired !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he wants a new grandstand he should get in the line behind the bust bridge and the atrocious access road.   Who would want to get married on a grandstand if the rain did not get you the wind would and when the bride throws her bouquet some dead sod in the cemetery will end up with it...no ...not a great idea but true to form.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Word from a source who is 'familiar' with the Starship Enterprise reckons the gobshites what to include a hotel and conference facilities (Holiday Inn was mentioned) sounds like they're going all out to spunk as much cash on this as they can! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

Word from a source who is 'familiar' with the Starship Enterprise reckons the gobshites what to include a hotel and conference facilities (Holiday Inn was mentioned) sounds like they're going all out to spunk as much cash on this as they can! 

In other words, it’s Government riding roughshod over many hard working and reputable businesses. Whether it’s Holiday Inn or Travelodge is immaterial, we already have Hotels in situ. If the Starship Enterprise let either their ‘Mates’ run a so called hotel within the Grandstand, either in a Government gift or a ‘rigged’ tender exercise, it’s going to show utter contempt to all the Hotels and Restaurants etc some of whom are currently in receipt of Starship Enterprise funding. The whole thing is nonsense and doesn’t make sense. To some people it would ‘stink’. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t worry. Given their track record I imagine the final development will be some bland looking grandstand with a big room at the back for ‘functions’ and a slightly reshaped pit lane. The knackered outdated scoreboard will need to be replaced which will give rise to some huge social media campaign from road racing fans demanding its reinstatement. It will then be reinstated. Hotel on site? Yeah right..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget a suite of offices. There'll have to be offices. Along with a large number of salaried, superannuated inhabitants.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...