Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
foxdaleliberationfront

Laurence Wants a New Grandstand

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

 

 

roman.jpg

 "there are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bet once the Starship Enterprise starts putting its business case together, I reckon the words cruise liner, passengers and guided tours will be trotted out. As with most of the tours for cruise passengers, they are for IOMG tourist attractions owned by local taxpayers, like the Manx Museum, House of Mannanan, Peel Castle and Castle Rushen. Any other private attractions sadly have to take a back seat. I can see this new Grandstand offering tours, which culminates in refreshments, at the Grandstand cafe. It could deprive a business like Tynwald Mills of a slice of the tourist market. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2112 said:

I bet once the Starship Enterprise starts putting its business case together, I reckon the words cruise liner, passengers and guided tours will be trotted out. As with most of the tours for cruise passengers, they are for IOMG tourist attractions owned by local taxpayers, like the Manx Museum, House of Mannanan, Peel Castle and Castle Rushen. Any other private attractions sadly have to take a back seat. I can see this new Grandstand offering tours, which culminates in refreshments, at the Grandstand cafe. It could deprive a business like Tynwald Mills of a slice of the tourist market. 

I've wondered that for a while. Starship want to spend £80m on a cruise berth so people can come here and be taken around on Government owned buses (that make a loss) to visit Government owner museums and sites (that make a loss) and some may even travel on the 'heritage' trains and trams (that make massive losses). 

It's all fucking mental! 

If this grandstand was such a good idea then the private sector would be biting Starship's hand off... they're not! 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

I've wondered that for a while. Starship want to spend £80m on a cruise berth so people can come here and be taken around on Government owned buses (that make a loss) to visit Government owner museums and sites (that make a loss) and some may even travel on the 'heritage' trains and trams (that make massive losses). 

It's all fucking mental! 

If this grandstand was such a good idea then the private sector would be biting Starship's hand off... they're not! 

It is mental but there is no stopping it. We are to all intents and purposes a communist state where all services will ultimately be provided by government and hardly any private sector will exist delivering services locally. All the private companies will be selling their wares and services in other free market countries and all the taxes that generates will be collected to handed over to allow loss making state services to be provided ‘free’ to IOM residents covering all areas of life. It’s what happens when tax (I.e., VAT in our case) is generated on economic activity that is booked here but which is not based here. They lose sight of the need to have a proper functioning free market economy as they don’t really know where the money is coming from. It just comes if you spend enough and book it through IOM companies. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, joebean said:

The Business Case for this proposal has to be made public in order that the assumptions upon which it is grounded can be scrutinised, not merely by our MHKs, but by more expert and discerning individuals who can have some input into a decision to spend their money. I could neither support or oppose the proposal based on a lack of information. I suspect the wedding and dinners element of the Business Case is only a small part of the earnings identified to contribute to a return on the (significant) investment, but this must be considered, as said above, in terms of providing unfair competition to the private sector. Unless, of course this is just part of a continuing "strategy" to support Enterprise whilst extending  public ownership in every possible sector.

I agree. I'm not sure that a TT themed wedding or other function would be treading on many toes, nobody is marketing this or any other all year round TT attraction off the island? Those who are like the TT Trike Tours would probably benefit as it would enhance their offer and possibly open the door to other entrepreneurial ventures? It would be good if the grandstand area could be used throughout the year if the kind of money the project is likely to cost is proposed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A business case will be dreamed up to justify the project ! meanwhile frontline services go to hell !

If we had the same number of CS and MHK's taking care of the taxpaying paying public here, as there are tripping on some hallucinogenic substances  whilst dreaming up ever more fanciful schemes to shed taxpayers cash then we would be in clover!

At the next election I am going to vote for any form of simple organism, who gets that money is a finite resource which enables government to fulfil its primary role of caring for and defending its population! I know you don't get much more of a simple organism than those we already have here in the south, but someone must stand who gets it !

 

  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Lawrence wants a new Grandstand, Lawrence can have one.

Providing Lawrence pays for it and puts his own money on the line. He's already squandered enough of ours.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Max Power said:

I agree. I'm not sure that a TT themed wedding or other function would be treading on many toes, nobody is marketing this or any other all year round TT attraction off the island? Those who are like the TT Trike Tours would probably benefit as it would enhance their offer and possibly open the door to other entrepreneurial ventures? It would be good if the grandstand area could be used throughout the year if the kind of money the project is likely to cost is proposed.  

Tell that to the likes of the Mannin Hotel who’s owner has put his millions into the business, which incidentally relies on weddings and other functions. The same can be said for the Claremont and Rutland, Sefton Group, Empress and even the smaller Ascot and Wellbeck Hotels which cater for weddings. Im afraid any wedding will tread on toes. Government has registry offices in Peel, Ramsey, Douglas and Castletown - look in the local rags there are many pictures of TT weddings. If they wish to bring over family and friends great, but I for one will not be funding Skellys wishes. Max - if you seriously think it’s a wonderful idea, then perhaps you can compete with the Hotels and other establishments- put your money where your mouth is. 

Its got to the stage where there are too many vested interests in this new Grandstand suggestion. The all powerful TT lobby, MGP and FOM and the Cycling Lobby. Perhaps each of them should put their considerable resources into this. After all so they keep boasting how many £££££££££a it makes, without mentioning the never ending amount it costs to put the event on. If there are a few fatalities, I’m sure the costs will increase even more.

We are told this new improved, expanded building will be used for rallies and cycling. Is this the same rally that we have lost due to Government incompetence and infighting? How many rallies will it take before the new building costs are paid off. Cycling is the same - let’s face, they aren’t in the same league as the TT, but TT fans haven’t got infinite cash reserves. Two ferries trips to get here costs money. Being ripped off royally whilst being here is the new IOMG TT experience. 

We have just funded the new TT Hospitality tent. Has this paid for itself? Will we get a straight answer? From capital or major infrastructure projects, we haven’t the experience of getting the job done to time or budget. As for quality don’t get me started.  

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

If Lawrence wants a new Grandstand, Lawrence can have one.

Providing Lawrence pays for it and puts his own money on the line. He's already squandered enough of ours.

100% spot on.

They could always crowd-fund/source etc.

They could also approach the private sector, which really will be comical if a delegation led by Skelly and the Motorsports Supremo ..................... Rob Callister (bet you thought I meant Bernie Ecclestone!), approached egaming and other businesses with a begging bowl. After all the TT has lost sponsors and Government is filling in for the second year, with its Locate.Im. Doesn’t this ring alarm bells? When a Government wishes to compete with the private sector and squanders taxpayers on quite frankly ‘pet projects’, you know they have lost its moral compass,

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile the usual companies will be salivating at the prospect !

Wedding venue catering is a private affair as are most corporate hospitality functions, the rest of TT is an enthusiasts sport with its peak over (Inc festival) 4 weeks every year !

Absolutely immoral whilst the hospital struggles to be able to provide care for the population, children are taught in portacabins, the roads need a 4 x 4 in many locations due to their lack of maintenance. Meanwhile the population are gouged for everything that can possibly have a charge attached !

This is a beautiful island with warm friendly people who welcome visitors with open arms, I know because I was one, who has stayed for 28yrs ! Sadly we have utterly contemptuous politicians ! with absolutely no idea what should be their job remit !

Coffee time !!!!!

 

 

 

Edited by asitis
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 2112 said:

Tell that to the likes of the Mannin Hotel who’s owner has put his millions into the business, which incidentally relies on weddings and other functions. The same can be said for the Claremont and Rutland, Sefton Group, Empress and even the smaller Ascot and Wellbeck Hotels which cater for weddings. Im afraid any wedding will tread on toes. Government has registry offices in Peel, Ramsey, Douglas and Castletown - look in the local rags there are many pictures of TT weddings. If they wish to bring over family and friends great, but I for one will not be funding Skellys wishes. Max - if you seriously think it’s a wonderful idea, then perhaps you can compete with the Hotels and other establishments- put your money where your mouth is. 

Its got to the stage where there are too many vested interests in this new Grandstand suggestion. The all powerful TT lobby, MGP and FOM and the Cycling Lobby. Perhaps each of them should put their considerable resources into this. After all so they keep boasting how many £££££££££a it makes, without mentioning the never ending amount it costs to put the event on. If there are a few fatalities, I’m sure the costs will increase even more.

We are told this new improved, expanded building will be used for rallies and cycling. Is this the same rally that we have lost due to Government incompetence and infighting? How many rallies will it take before the new building costs are paid off. Cycling is the same - let’s face, they aren’t in the same league as the TT, but TT fans haven’t got infinite cash reserves. Two ferries trips to get here costs money. Being ripped off royally whilst being here is the new IOMG TT experience. 

We have just funded the new TT Hospitality tent. Has this paid for itself? Will we get a straight answer? From capital or major infrastructure projects, we haven’t the experience of getting the job done to time or budget. As for quality don’t get me started.  

How many hotels etc market TT themed weddings and other functions to off island residents? I'm neither for or against the proposal yet as I haven't seen enough information, but anything which brings extra people to our shores all year round must be welcomed. They also have to stay somewhere so won't the hotels benefit even more?

Edited by Max Power

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, asitis said:

Wedding venue catering is a private affair as are most corporate hospitality functions, the rest of TT is an enthusiasts sport with its peak over (Inc festival) 4 weeks every year !

I’d rather use a private (taxpaying) company for a wedding or function. Has you ever tried to get a pint at the Villa in a show break? That’s what happens when government runs catering facilities. As has been already said this will just steal trade off other local business people who government is now in competition with for the exact same dwindling trade. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...