Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
foxdaleliberationfront

Laurence Wants a New Grandstand

The future of TT racing is online in virtual reality

21 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

The future of TT racing is online in virtual reality

Would this bring the Island to a virtual standstill?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

At least hissingsid can see the writing is on the wall... or at least that crusty old blackboard on Glencrutchery Road. 

In all seriousness I hope Starship try to sell the blackboard.. there will be someone dumb enough to part with their cash for that piece of crap.

2 hours ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

Exactly the same way they give away grandstand tickets and then claim it was an amazing success. 

Ain't that the truth!

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

weddings which is really a throw away

That kinda says it all. The fact that it's even mentioned says that they're scraping the ideas barrel again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

I have always been an ardent supporter of the races so it is with great reluctance I have come to believe the writing is on the wall as far as the future is concerned, so not a great time to be spending money on new grandstands.    The reason I have come to this sad conclusion is firstly health and safety, which is a real concern with events like the Steve Mercer incident and a while ago the Marshall that killed a rider through stupidly and not following rules.    The last lot looked to be run by complete amateurs, insufficient Marshalls with loads of them given no training at all does not inspire confidence.    Even if lessons are learned which seems to be the standard talk after each incident if the event is open to all sorts of misadventures we are sorting one and waiting for the next one to happen.    It is with a heavy heart I write this but at the end of the day it is how it is, or we are where we are, which in my mind is on a very precipitous position.   There is of course as well all the carbon emissions lot which seem to have taken over the civilised world.

I can see where you are coming from. There have been far worse incidents than those you mention on supposedly safe short circuits and rallies to be fair, which haven't as yet finished those events. We tend to be affected by them as they are always in the news.  I think the biggest threats at the moment are insurance costs and possible difficulties, people in positions of authority who don't understand how the events work and the decline in young people taking up road racing to replace existing top riders. 

34 minutes ago, Max Power said:

There have been far worse incidents than those you mention on supposedly safe short circuits and rallies 

That's prime whatboutery!! The TT isn't a short circuit. 

The things that can and will end the TT are multiple and varied. I just hope it's something else other than the Big One. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Max Power said:

Let's just consider other options, rather than weddings which is really a throw away, where we have no suitable venue.

1) Car and motorcycle launches to the press and dealers, these can be big money affairs which benefit hotels and other venues in the areas they are held. 

2) Owners club events, similar to those we attract now but more of them, these benefit hotels and other attractions. 

3) A centre for other sporting events to base themselves on the island which provides suitable facilities to enhance the visitors experience.

That's just three off the top of my head where we can't offer facilities anywhere which make the organisation of these events easy. 

As I said, I'm neither for or against this until I know more.

But the wedding thing isn't a throwaway - Skelly mentions it specifically in his MTTV interview as reported in the IOM Newspapers piece,   Actually it's about the only extra use over current that they suggest:

Mr Skelly, who was speaking on MTTV, said: ’We have been in discussions with Douglas Corporation and so forth to see how we might be able to achieve it.’

’We have a huge cost outlay with that. Hospitality is growing and what we know is that if we have a facility that has not only an extended grandstand and therefore expanded revenue opportunities and hospitality but also a potentially year-round attraction, there would be a year-round attraction not just used for TT and the Festival of Motorcycling. It would be used for the rallies, the cycling events and anything else.’

Mr Skelly also suggested that there should be a venue, with a hospitality suite built into it. That would remove the need for the existing tent, which is erected in Noble’s Park each year. The new venue could provide a space for wedding receptions, particularly for TT fans.

The cost of replacing the Grandstand has not yet been revealed but Mr Skelly admitted it ’could be a very significant figure’.

He said his department ’needs to put the business case together’.

He added: ’There would be a cost reduction and revenue increase that would hopefully justify that and we’re at the final stages of that particular proposal which we will be putting forward to our colleagues.’

As often with Skelly none of this makes any sense, even as English.  There's just a stream of phrases meant to impress, none of which link up with each other.  All that matters is that there are 'projects' to be promoted which can be used to justify all those high salaries of DfE and DoI and the lucrative contracts given to the favoured contractors.  In particular there's actually nothing being said as to why the Grandstand needs replacing at all - just a vague promise of extra revenue if it is rebuilt with additional facilities.  The fact are promoting it before they have even started putting a business case together is a giveaway.

All the other uses Max wonders about could either be done at the moment there or elsewhere.  In fact there is already some promotion of wedding to off-Islanders and a selection of venues that can be used - one very near to the Grandstand.  Which is never going to be a very attractive venue for non-TT hospitality, lets face it.  The sort of events Max talks about rely on the attractions of the Island as a whole and individually will be better sites at other venues here.   Promoting such events should be what the DfE does.  But only 'projects' seem to justify the positions of ever-proliferating higher-graded civil servants.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If there is so much potential for weddings, or other event use, why has no effort been made to make the “hospitality” marquee available to event organisers to hire at realistic rates  when it’s sat empty between the TT and FOM/MGP?  Surely an ideal opportunity to gauge the potential need (if any) 

• Like 1

only one problem..........hardly anyone is getting married anymore.........

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, woody2 said:

only one problem..........hardly anyone is getting married anymore.........

You only have to ask!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Laurence will be peddling via his trinket and tat website "Genuine Isle of Man viewing platform bricks" as he's not allowed / too tight to pay for a genuine TT trademark licence....

TT weddings may be a thing for a very few people, but take the enthusiasts out of the equation and what is to attract couples to Glencrutchery road ?

Perhaps stunning background views of the Police custody suite or maybe the cemetery or traffic lights and a filling station, yes all bound to attract upmarket wedding couples to the venue !

What an absolute load of tripe, if it needs a bit of TLC then do that, but FFS this is profligate lunacy !

Is there not some legislation to protect the taxpayers from misuse of public funds ?

Edited by asitis
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, asitis said:

Is there not some legislation to protect the taxpayers from misuse of public funds ?

How long have you been here? If there is it's totally feckin' useless!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1