Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
hissingsid

Road tax or whatever it is called nowadays.

41 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

The surcharge is all to do with UK Customs and can't be changed easily, although I'm in favour of adding a couple of pence extra per litre and doing away with tax on vehicles per vehicle.

the current system dissuades folks owning lots of vehicles which is probably a good thing,  getting parked now is a pain, imagine if every household have 10 vehicles to park on the street

The bus service is great if you live on a bus route and your work in on a bus route but now with all the business parks, hospital etc being out of town bus travel does not work.  The Island has changed and is now geared up to car travel.    The U.K. allows motorists to pay by Direct Debit and so should we.   Rates, leccy, oil, phone, are all collected by Direct debit and so should car tax.    54 people were caught and fined for having no tax what does that achieve..nothing, the reason most people do not pay is that they have not got the money simple as that, people are struggling a fact that does not seem to get through to the I am all right Jack sorts.  Every day on line there are people asking for recommendations for work they need doing and immediately there is a long list of people who are looking for work this is not a sign of a prosperous society.    The reason the Government are desperate to implement the Eastern Plan and build thousands of unwanted houses is to keep the building industry and the other supplementary industries, plumbers, electricians, etc going.

24 minutes ago, WTF said:

the current system dissuades folks owning lots of vehicles which is probably a good thing,  getting parked now is a pain, imagine if every household have 10 vehicles to park on the street

Easily solved:

https://www.reinventingparking.org/2014/06/japans-proof-of-parking-rule-has.html?m=1

If you have parking space within the curtalage of your property then you can have as many cars as will fit. 

#fuckthepoor

11 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Much fuel is used by delivery companies...the cost of goods would shoot up. That means inflation. So it's not just simply linked to how much you drive. It's not reasonable to sit at home expecting the roads to just be there when you do decide to go driving.

in Norway, I seem to re-call that commercial vehicles paid less fuel tax. There was a very strict definition of what a commercial vehicle is.

I'm sorry, and in fear of being shot down, I think the people behind the petition are probably no more than a bunch of shit-stirrers. Let's look at some facts here..

If you are going to buy a car, it is head banging obvious there will be costs associated with it. Yes, you can buy insurance by DD, but that is generally multiples of the average car tax. Try paying for a set of tyres by monthly direct debit - which is again likely to cost more than car tax. Try getting your car serviced on monthly DD - yep, won't happen.

Why do you think the IOMG won't entertain paying by Direct Debit? Well, spend a minute thinking about it.

First of all - and probably the smaller of two main reasons - it would mean quite a significant increase in personnel to manage it and the credit control functions. 

Most of all however, each month that passes means less cars on the road taxed on engine capacity, and more on the road based on emissions. Therefore, the average car tax bill cost for more and more people is dropping - in my case £46 and my car ain't exactly new or flash. Who in their right mind is going to fund a large Direct Debit structure so people can pay £46 a year in monthly instalments? Don't make me laugh.

Yes, I do get there are families who are struggling, I've been there - on the dole, the lot. But do you know what? I lived within my means as much as I could - even if that meant my  kids ate and I didn't. I struggled, I went hungry - but I paid my way.

33 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

If you are going to buy a car, it is head banging obvious there will be costs associated with it. Yes, you can buy insurance by DD, but that is generally multiples of the average car tax. Try paying for a set of tyres by monthly direct debit - which is again likely to cost more than car tax. Try getting your car serviced on monthly DD - yep, won't happen.

People pay for everything on credit/instalments these days, phone contracts, gas/oil/electricity, rates, insurance, cars/bikes, sky,/netflix and even some places offer a car service by instalments or finance through Connister etc. The tyres you mention have also probably been bought using a credit card etc.

The whole car tax system needs to be restructured, at the moment you can buy a car that is £46 a year to tax, rip all of the emission reducing components out (CAT, DPF, EGR) and guess what? still get charged £46 a year even though your vehicle is now polluting more than most on the roads, plenty of tampered vehicles about, you'll quite often see them advertised for sale with a 'Decat, DPF removed and EGR blanked/removed' you've probably all been behind a few that absolutely stink and yet nothing gets done about it.

People seem to focus more on buses producing a bit of soot despite the danger actually being the small particles you can't see from vehicles that have been 'modified'.

Edited by Annoymouse

1 hour ago, Manx Bean said:

I'm sorry, and in fear of being shot down, I think the people behind the petition are probably no more than a bunch of shit-stirrers. Let's look at some facts here..

Why do you think the IOMG won't entertain paying by Direct Debit? Well, spend a minute thinking about it.

First of all - and probably the smaller of two main reasons - it would mean quite a significant increase in personnel to manage it and the credit control functions. 

Most of all however, each month that passes means less cars on the road taxed on engine capacity, and more on the road based on emissions. Therefore, the average car tax bill cost for more and more people is dropping - in my case £46 and my car ain't exactly new or flash. Who in their right mind is going to fund a large Direct Debit structure so people can pay £46 a year in monthly instalments? Don't make me laugh.

Yes, I do get there are families who are struggling, I've been there - on the dole, the lot. But do you know what? I lived within my means as much as I could - even if that meant my  kids ate and I didn't. I struggled, I went hungry - but I paid my way.

I agree it’s £56 to tax a car under 1,000cc or in the lowest emissions group which is nothing. It’s all these idiots buying 10 year old BMWs and old 4x4s so that they think they’re somebody who are paying £600 a year to tax them who are complaining. It’s a tax that’s easy to avoid. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

And how do the motorcycle tax rates fit into this Manx, in respect of how they're calculated? £80 odd to tax a 600cc bike. £48 to tax a 125cc. Far more expensive than your low emissions cars whilst contributing negligible wear and tear on the road. Road tax is nothing more than a PS pension funding rip off on ownership. End of.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

And how do the motorcycle tax rates fit into this Manx, in respect of how they're calculated? £80 odd to tax a 600cc bike. £48 to tax a 125cc. Far more expensive than your low emissions cars whilst contributing negligible wear and tear on the road. Road tax is nothing more than a PS pension funding rip off on ownership. End of.

I agree they do seem disproportionate, but to be fair, your point is not relevant to this thread.

48 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

I agree they do seem disproportionate, but to be fair, your point is not relevant to this thread.

"Road tax or whatever it is called nowadays." ....precisely relevant to this thread title.

18 hours ago, yootalkin2me said:

The surcharge is all to do with UK Customs and can't be changed easily, although I'm in favour of adding a couple of pence extra per litre and doing away with tax on vehicles per vehicle.

where the fuck are you getting a couple of pence per litre from??    every 50 litres you only pay a quid ??   for government to get back my road tax  on my primary vehicle id have to use around  17500  litres of fuel in a year, and at 10 miles per litre thats 175000 miles a year???   it would take me over ten years to do that,  so   for me  they would need to add 20p per litre to maintain the status quo.  another vehicle i have has done less than 600 miles in 8 years,  they would never recoup the first years road tax on it, never mind the other 7.  you must be eddie teare and i claim my £5

Edited by WTF

On 9/10/2019 at 7:31 AM, Derek Flint said:

I try and run cars for at least 5 years. The thing that isn’t factored in is the emissions in manufacturing, and that on the IOM a lot of older cars will only be doing relatively short journeys. Factoring Road tax on to fuel would be fairer, but that would ignore that it is essentially just a revenue raising exercise. IOMG are unlikely to have a clue about miles driven per annum on our roads as they don’t have the big data you can hive off from MOT for example. As such it would be a guesstimate, and something else would go up to compensate them.

In any case the mileage thing wouldn't work as a lot of folk take their vehicles to UK and beyond. 

Oh, so now it becomes clear. The person behind this latest "let's dive in whilst there is a slow news week" is keyboard warrior supremo and top flight Village Idiot,  Mr Martin Moore. You know, part time Taxi Driver and former House of Keys candidate.

Oh, and would you believe it - formerly convicted of driving a Taxi....you guessed it, without car tax!. https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/fine-for-taxi-driver-caught-with-out-of-date-tax/

If he spent less time standing outside the Sea Terminal smoking and doing some work he might be better able to afford the car tax for his motor. And now, Government FM have given the idiot airtime...so yes, it really must be a slow news week!

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/road-tax-campaigner-unconvinced-by-doi-response/

Edited by Manx Bean

Hey man look at me rockin' out
I'm on the radio
Hey man look at me rockin' out
I'm on the video

He has a point that payment of the tax should be simple and people should have a range of options. A bit like using a debit card to pay a taxi fare. 

Edited by Declan
  • Like 1