Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
hissingsid

Road tax or whatever it is called nowadays.

Basically the current regime guarantees an income (save as for those few that dodge the tax) when fuel prices rocketed around 2009 people started to drive less. I sold my classic motorcycle purely on the basis of fuel cost and I haven't gone back to it even though the cost of fuel has fallen since.. That's why I don't think there is the appetite for a fuel tax surcharge to replace VED

If a fuel surcharge was imposed (in place of the present system) then I think you will see the price of goods in shops rocket and other service companies running around in any size vans increase their prices. 

Not a good idea.

In fact, I do wonder about the economics of the whole road tax debacle, as to whether it washes it's face after they have taken into account the IT, labour, printing and other costs involved in keeping any vehicles on the road.

Nothing. Status Quo. All IOMG need to do is keep nabbing those who refuse to pay. They've spent the money on the technology/machinery to catch people so they might as well use it.

And if it's a net loss to the taxpayer.... then why bother having it at all? The tax payer would be better off.

they might as well stick income tax up 1p and cancel road tax all together ,  they would be better off and the rich would be doing most of the paying, winner winner.

• Like 1

Why no move to getting the insurers to collect car tax?

Insurers know the vehicle and engine size, can find out its emissions easily enough and the IOM Govt can provide the emission banding charges. With this information insurers just put the road tax cost onto the vehicle's insurance. Many people pay their insurance monthly anyway, so depending on the vehicle it could be just a few pounds more per month. For the gas guzzlers, their insurance will not be cheap anyway so it is a direct consequence of having a large vehicle ie more expensive insurance and road tax.

Insurers then issue IOM residents with a disc that verifies holder has insurance and paid their road tax, and if someone drives without disc then they can be done on 2 counts and thus face bigger fines. This might encourage those who currently feel they are exempt from paying to start complying.

At year end, insurers pay IOM Govt the road tax they have collected less say 10% for admin, issuing disc etc, but can offer other services eg. discounted house insurance  to reduce overall insurance costs to IOM residents to help keep costs down. This could make it worth insurance companies participating in such an approach as they may attract additional business. Those companies not interested lose business to those that are willing. IOM Govt is relieved of all the transactional costs, can make saving in manpower and admin, and still get more or less the same income less the 10% (or whatever) they have paid the insurers to provide the service.

Not having a car tax disc on display has cost the UK Govt £m and caused all sorts of confusion to car owners. So why not keep it on show to immediately identify vehicles are paying their road tax and are insured? I accept it would take a bit of initial organising but is not beyond the wit of 'Mann' surely?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Galen said:

can make saving in manpower and admin, and still get more or less the same income less the 10% (or whatever) they have paid the insurers to provide the service.

And who do you think will pick up the tab for that 10%? 

On 9/11/2019 at 10:24 AM, WTF said:

where the fuck are you getting a couple of pence per litre from??    every 50 litres you only pay a quid ??   for government to get back my road tax  on my primary vehicle id have to use around  17500  litres of fuel in a year, and at 10 miles per litre thats 175000 miles a year???   it would take me over ten years to do that,  so   for me  they would need to add 20p per litre to maintain the status quo.  another vehicle i have has done less than 600 miles in 8 years,  they would never recoup the first years road tax on it, never mind the other 7.  you must be eddie teare and i claim my £5

Alright, keep your hair on ffs....10p a litre or whatever the fuck is appropriate, you know the point I was trying to make, the maths can be made to fit by some bright spark in Government.

26 minutes ago, WTF said:

they might as well stick income tax up 1p and cancel road tax all together ,  they would be better off and the rich would be doing most of the paying, winner winner.

#fuckthepoor

• Haha 1

No matter which option is gone for we the motorists will pick up the tab, but for all we know the insurance industry might offer to do it for considerably less than 10% at no cost at all :-)

12 minutes ago, Galen said:

No matter which option is gone for we the motorists will pick up the tab, but for all we know the insurance industry might offer to do it for considerably less than 10% at no cost at all :-)

It won’t happen. Jersey abolished car tax and replaced it with fuel duty (which we can’t do), and instead motorists have to display an insurance disc. Sounds good right? It would be except only a tiny number of insurance companies were interested into having to print and despatch a disc, and guess what?  Yep, premiums went skywards rapido! So all Jersey motorists are getting hammered.

One price for every vehicle, much simpler and fairer.

The less well off in society tend to run older motors and get royally ass fucked for the privilege while the wealthy can afford new eco cars and pay buttons!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Finlo that is a great idea except the eco warriors that are taking over the world, except for India and China, will not agree.

• Like 1