Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
robolots

Owed money by company on IOM

Hello,

I'm owed some money for faulty goods/service by a company on the IOM, however I'm told I can't make a small claim unless I reside on the IOM or have an address to serve the papers from.

Does anyone know if this is correct as I thought there was a jurisdiction agreement with small claims and it seems crazy if I can't claim against someone just because I live in England.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Google 'Small Claims procedure Isle of Man courts.' It'll tell you all you need to know...

1 hour ago, robolots said:

I'm told I can't make a small claim unless I reside on the IOM or have an address to serve the papers from.

This is definitely incorrect. Your claim is as good as anyone's and where you live is immaterial.

You can use IoM small claims, wherever you are from. There’s nothing reciprocal about it.

Just like in England you need an address in the jurisdiction of the court you are using so that things can be served on you.

so, if I wanted to sue in England, I need a service address in England. If you want to sue in IoM you need a service address here