Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
SJR

Terry Cringle IOM newspapers..

27 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

You're obviously either far too young or 'new' to the Island to remember TC's contribution to (what was) proper radio and written journalism. 

And it seems as if he invented the Miss Isle of Man meme. Kudos for that.

33 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

And it seems as if he invented the Miss Isle of Man meme. Kudos for that.

Although it kinda lost its meaning when it was used for obvious sketch maps, such as:

1441097302_Europesketch.jpg.dd499d1438ebe36b40d33a8d1ab53213.jpg

No even Cringle could make a case for being uppity about the Isle of Man being left off that one.

Edited by gettafa

12 hours ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

There's no denying he had a great career. But there's always a point at which it's time to give the new generation a chance. 

As for me... more than you'll ever imagine 

If that statement were true, I don't personally believe it is, then the inexperienced new generation are exactly the sort of people who should NEVER be making decisions like that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Like the late Harvey Briggs, Terry Cringle writes very enjoyably about the past. So, he makes the odd error. Who cares? At least he can string coherent sentences together, unlike most of IOM Newspapers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

There's no denying he had a great career. But there's always a point at which it's time to give the new generation a chance. 

But he's not stopping anyone is he?  He's freelance and has been for many decades.  If media outlets don't want his stuff, they just don't take it.  And I doubt any 23-year-old is going to produce the sort of nostalgia-based stuff that Cringle mostly writes nowadays.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Missing words
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

But he's not stopping anyone is he?  He's freelance and has been for many decades.  If media outlets don't want his stuff, they just don't take it.  And I doubt any 23-year-old is going the sort of nostalgia-based stuff that Cringle mostly writes nowadays.

I've gone off nostalgia - it isn't what it was in the old days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But he's not stopping anyone is he?  He's freelance and has been for many decades.  If media outlets don't want his stuff, they just don't take it. 

It's their choice, of course, but his crap makes me less likely to read or listen to their offering.

And I'm neither young or new to the Island, and I'm interested in Manx Culture and history.

6 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But he's not stopping anyone is he?  He's freelance and has been for many decades.  If media outlets don't want his stuff, they just don't take it.  And I doubt any 23-year-old is going to produce the sort of nostalgia-based stuff that Cringle mostly writes nowadays.

No, Cringle himself isn't stopping anyone; it is the media who are stopping others by choosing his content rather than allowing younger contributors.

The reason they want his kind of content (I am not criticising his content) is because it doesn't question the status quo or make people think or challenge authority. God forbid that they allow anyone to publish controversial content. The whole business model of Tindle (like Johnston Press before them) is to circulate non-controversial government and corporate press releases, adverts, and advertorials, with a selection of boring editorials to fill up space. Nothing to shake up the status quo. Total conformity of opinion.

I know plenty of young people interested in politics, Manx culture and history, and other subjects, who would write columns free of charge and would engage far more readers.

I'm not one of them, though, as I would not wish to give the media credibility by associating myself with them. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Rushen Spy said:

I know plenty of young people interested in politics, Manx culture and history, and other subjects, who would write columns free of charge and would engage far more readers.

I don't believe you.

There is a lot of work in those pages. TC has a lot of knowledge anyway, first hand and decades of research. And he knows just where to find further informatioon.

These 'young people' you 'know' would do maybe an article, possibly two for free, After that they would dry up. What are they going to write about?

The grand old days of the KFC?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oooo, next we'll be critisising the Messiah, David Attenbough , Oh look at him, he can't even climb over rocks anymore at 85! What a loser!

I enjoyed Terrys dvds on the history of the visiting industry on the island,well researched and interesting,now im of for a pub crawl,  a sherry out of the barrel at Yates first, then a half in the Dogs home,before getting a taxi to the Ballacraine for a nightcap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

...and the comment that he should be writing hard-nosed investigative political stories (that these imaginary young hacks you know would be filling the papers with) misses the point by a country mile. If you DO know any young people who could write free columns, they'd be doing it. The fact that they aren't means they either lack the ability or the desire.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

...and the comment that he should be writing hard-nosed investigative political stories (that these imaginary young hacks you know would be filling the papers with) misses the point by a country mile. If you DO know any young people who could write free columns, they'd be doing it. The fact that they aren't means they either lack the ability or the desire.

I have no criticism of Cringle's contributions. I'm all for it. I'm talking about them adding more people's contributions.

They lack the ability only to the extent that they lack access. They do not own a newspaper or radio station. It is up to the editor of a newspaper or the person in charge of a radio station to decide what content is allowed. There are many who would be perfectly able but would never be allowed because the media gatekeepers only want people who resemble and think like themselves: people like you whose opinion and talking points on any topic can be predicted very easily because you're like a walking stereotype of a boomer, as are the people in charge of the media and the island in general. They don't need to sit and monitor all your content to quickly censor or control it, as they already know what you're going to say in advance. I would posit that this is also why the media is so boring -- lack of diversity of thought.

• Like 2

The trouble is that there is nobody capable of proof reading the sort of stuff Terry is trying to put out, so errors are getting through.

Regretfully, he is also now getting prone to misreading stuff and losing items.

It happens (though I wish it didn't). 

Agreed, History Mann is still good value.

59 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Agreed, History Mann is still good value.

Primarily, I think, because Terry witnessed the events he describes.