Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
SJR

Terry Cringle IOM newspapers..

Over the years I think the various media has tried to ease a relatively bright young thing or two into the Cringle mould, probably more on the musings side of things, but they have only come over as smug and inexperienced. One or two over the years had clearly delved into Manx Forums for their inspiration but failed in their endeavours to be fresh and amusing. 

Cringle's ok.

And just now, for sure, there's no one can come anywhere near him.

• Like 2

I think Terry should gain at least the Lifetime Achievement Hall of Fame Award as he has done so much for the island.

Is this or another Award possible?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, manxy said:

I think Terry should gain at least the Lifetime Achievement Hall of Fame Award as he has done so much for the island.

Arrrrfff - maybe at the IOM Newspapers Awards for Excellence where smug people nominate themselves smugly for smug handwringing friends to vote and smugly handover a trophy in front of the Island smuggest.

The only good thing about Lifetime Acheivement Awards is that it is basically the rest of your industry telling you to fucking retire....

• Haha 1

until the last couple of years he did, unlike many on this board, check his facts - I often saw him generally towards the end of the week in the Manx Museum reading room checking out something he was planning to use in the next article or sometimes just chasing down a suggestion for a story given him by one of the other habitués of that place - I suspect now he is relying on a bank of researched stories + probably the large amount now online (there are some reliable places)

Edited by Frances
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 11:11 PM, Stu Peters said:

He makes programmes for Manx Radio so I expect it's a quid pro quo arrangement.

He's a remarkable gentleman is our Tel, proper old school and I have huge respect for him and elders in general. Unlike some of you whippersnapper arseholes.

Are his programs available on listen again ?

20 hours ago, Ďouglas Peel said:

I enjoyed Terrys dvds on the history of the visiting industry on the island,well researched and interesting,now im of for a pub crawl,  a sherry out of the barrel at Yates first, then a half in the Dogs home,before getting a taxi to the Ballacraine for a nightcap.

Are his dvd`s available, and if so where ?

1 hour ago, manxy said:

Maybe a statue ?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

Maybe a statue ?

He's believed to be a naturist

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, gettafa said:

And just now, for sure, there's no one can come anywhere near him.

Why, does he have a cold? I have no issue with the man but let's not pretend he's some great thinker or writer. The man is a standard example of the type of inbred and self-destructive mediocrity that prevails on the Isle of Man.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Why, does he have a cold? I have no issue with the man

but....

let's not pretend he's some great thinker or writer. The man is a standard example of the type of inbred and self-destructive mediocrity that prevails on the Isle of Man.

You have no issue with the man...

but....

"The man is a standard example of the type of inbred and self-destructive mediocrity that prevails on the Isle of Man."

What do you mean by "self-destructive mediocrity" and in what form does it take? 

Spontaneous human combustion perhaps?

Or is this a candidate for PE's Pseuds Corner?

I guess we'll probably not find out....

4 minutes ago, P.K. said:

You have no issue with the man...

but....

"The man is a standard example of the type of inbred and self-destructive mediocrity that prevails on the Isle of Man."

What do you mean by "self-destructive mediocrity" and in what form does it take? 

Spontaneous human combustion perhaps?

Or is this a candidate for PE's Pseuds Corner?

I guess we'll probably not find out....

I take no issue with him. I take issue with the morons on here deliberately and very disingenuously trying to wind people up by suggesting nobody could possibly come close to him. They are literally baiting for a reply with that kind of nonsense. There are hundreds if not thousands of young people who could easily equal or surpass him. Let's not pretend otherwise.

6 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I refer to the system, not to any individual.

I recommend reading this article on the history of Venice (once one of the wealthiest cities and economic powers in the world) for a case example of why the Isle of Man is in a state of self-destruction, except I would point out we lack any of its redeeming features:

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/14/opinion/sunday/the-self-destruction-of-the-1-percent.html