Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
SJR

Terry Cringle IOM newspapers..

11 minutes ago, gettafa said:

TJ, you're cracking up la'

Not at all. I'm just saying it as it is. The Isle of Man's ruling class is sustained by subsidisation and promotion of dull mediocrity (and suppression of genuine talent) and it will be their eventual downfall.

Edited by Rushen Spy
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Not at all. I'm just saying it as it is. The Isle of Man's ruling class is sustained by subsidisation and promotion of dull mediocrity (and suppression of genuine talent) and it will be their eventual downfall.

Well i have to say you're not wrong there!

• Like 2

It seems to be the islands MO, government employ a dork who will never employ someone smarter than them then all the real talent leaves the island and through lack of opportunity!

Not just government I should add.

Edited by finlo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rushen Spy said:

I refer to the system, not to any individual.

I recommend reading this article on the history of Venice (once one of the wealthiest cities and economic powers in the world) for a case example of why the Isle of Man is in a state of self-destruction, except I would point out we lack any of its redeeming features:

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/14/opinion/sunday/the-self-destruction-of-the-1-percent.html

No you didn't. Stop ducking and diving.

You posted ""The man is a standard example of the type of inbred and self-destructive mediocrity that prevails on the Isle of Man." Which refers to Mr Cringle and nobody else.

Plus by all means name names of all the young thrusters on here who can match Mr Cringles experience.

Go on, let's hear your pearls of wisdom...

25 minutes ago, P.K. said:

You posted ""The man is a standard example of the type of inbred and self-destructive mediocrity that prevails on the Isle of Man." Which refers to Mr Cringle and nobody else.

Plus by all means name names of all the young thrusters on here who can match Mr Cringles experience.

I was very clearly talking about the system that sees to it that his columns are published, that other people are not given such media access, and not making it about him personally. The only point I was making is that his columns are allowed because the media gatekeepers don't see him as presenting any kind of challenge or opposition to the power system. It's the same reason Stu Peters is on the radio. Lots of boring content, no challenge of the status quo. This is how the Isle of Man functions and it's why the Isle of Man is in a state of long-term stagnation and decline. The powers that be can't see past their own snotty noses and are content to see the island collapse as long as their own short-term and short-sighted interests are maintained. Many young people can see the writing on the wall, that this system is going down and dragging the rest of the island down with it, which is why so many of them leave the island and never come back.

• Like 1

You're dragging Stu Peters into it now.

I see what you are trying to say and to a large extent I agree with you.

But you're destroying your surmise with your examples. Talking Heads is probably the most liberal and open radio talk show in the British Isles and beyond. During TT I have visitors from all over UK, and indeed the world, there is usually some point that Talking Heads is on and they always comment how open it is. On one occasion by coincidence I had a point to make and sent it in. It was a criticism of our glorious government and was strongly (but truthfully...) worded. My visitors all said it won't get read out...hey presto, within a minute or less it was on the air.

Back to TC and the nostalgia articles. You talk of all these young people. Over the past 20 years I have worked with a lot of young people, many out of university and proud owners of a degree. Very few of them could construct a sentence. Few understood basic syntax and grammar. I say that again......basic syntax and grammar. Stuff that used to be entry level teaching at secondary school. For degree educated individuals I doubt many of them knew where our museum library or Douglas Corporation library was let alone know how to use them and what magnificent gems are within.

"If it ain't on Google it don't exist" seems to be the mantra.

Just where are all these young budding journos who could show 'our Tel' a thing or two?

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'll tell you what. I had no interest in doing so, but I challenge the newspapers to offer me a column. 

35 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

I'll tell you what. I had no interest in doing so, but I challenge the newspapers to offer me a column. 

Yeah, that's how it works. Post a challenge anonymously on the internet and then complain when nobody comes knocking at your door. You're an idiot and your skull is full of blancmange.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

They are not going to offer you anything but if you wrote something they will surely take a look at it and if it is any good publish it.

Try a letter or two first (do you write to the Comments? I have never read anything in there worthy of publishing on a formal basis)

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, finlo said:

Well i have to say you're not wrong there!

Who benefits from the political model we have today?

12 hours ago, P.K. said:

Did young Mr Butt work for the MEN like El Tel?

18 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

I was very clearly talking about the system that sees to it that his columns are published, that other people are not given such media access, and not making it about him personally. The only point I was making is that his columns are allowed because the media gatekeepers don't see him as presenting any kind of challenge or opposition to the power system. 

Who are the "media gatekeepers" on the IOM and what is their JD?

From what you've posted you must know who they are.

Name names!

7 hours ago, gettafa said:

They are not going to offer you anything but if you wrote something they will surely take a look at it and if it is any good publish it.

Try a letter or two first (do you write to the Comments? I have never read anything in there worthy of publishing on a formal basis)

It was tongue in cheek. I've no interest in putting content in the papers and no I don't think I've ever sent a letter either. Why would anybody want to write in a paper they don't read in the first place? :lol:

24 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Who are the "media gatekeepers" on the IOM and what is their JD?

From what you've posted you must know who they are.

Name names!

It's not difficult to figure it out yourself. Don't let that get in the way of a provocative attempt to goad someone into opening themselves up to libel though. I wasn't born yesterday.