Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
SJR

Terry Cringle IOM newspapers..

7 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Who benefits from the political model we have today?

Wow. There are so many parasites and leeches involved in the whole economic system that it's difficult to pinpoint it to any one segment. I think it's still useful to use the class system model to describe it though: the upper class, the nouveau riche, the upper middle class. The people being exploited the most are the poor and the lower middle class.

• Like 1

Money is important but which is the happiest class?

I think the social attitudes survey states that nobody is happy, & we never will be until the Plains of Heaven are entirely covered in concrete

Edited by Donald Trumps
  • Like 1

A low point has been plumbed on MF by the sneering condemnation of this man.

I don’t know Mr Cringle. I have never met him.

As far as I know makes no pretence  regarding his age ,yet the term “geriatric “ is used  against him as a term of abuse.

Not only offensive  to him, it is to any  of his generation.

Those that follow the  “baby- boomers”  should reflect.As the need to keep working longer and longer progresses and they find they are unable to retire , they will become  the  “ old” and resented as clinging on to their jobs.Some attitudes  will have to change.

I have no idea of his ancestry. It no more my business than anyone else's,  yet the term “in- bred”  is casually ,if obliquely, tossed in.

Even a low estimate of his IQ is  asserted, and if that isn’t  enough,  he is  absurdly derided as being part of the establishment /“ruling class “.

Well, I  find his articles well- researched, well written and amusing.He speaks  well on radio and his presentations are  very professionally crafted.

- There are some on MF who could do well to study his technique.

Keep going, Terry!

Edited by hampsterkahn
typos
  • Like 10

Age has nothing to do with it, he's been an unctuous prose stylist for the last 30 years at least. 

14 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

It was tongue in cheek. I've no interest in putting content in the papers and no I don't think I've ever sent a letter either. Why would anybody want to write in a paper they don't read in the first place? :lol:

It's not difficult to figure it out yourself. Don't let that get in the way of a provocative attempt to goad someone into opening themselves up to libel though. I wasn't born yesterday.

It's not difficult to figure out you read the expression "media gatekeepers" and decided to use it on here even though It's totally meaningless when discussing Mr Cringles' popular program.

I also find it amusing that the youngsters just don't understand the value of experience that can only be gained by putting the time in.

A concern is that the manx have always respected the elderly for the above reason, amongst others of course. The things posted about Mr Cringle go against the grain.

• Like 2

That is only by one or two on Max Forums who go against the grain over just about anything.

TJ has a point to make about the media, but has used entirely the wrong examples. He thought Cringle was an easy target but TJ got his arse kicked. Then he drags in Stu Peters. TJ got his arse kicked severely again.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 2

Terry Cringle is a lovely chap and his work is always interesting.  He has put the time in doing a job that he loves and deserves respect.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Merkin said:

Terry Cringle is a lovely chap and his work is always interesting.  He has put the time in doing a job that he loves and deserves respect.  

Hah hah!  Quick, sign in under a different name and try to reverse the damage.

You think I’m TJ?

Lol. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Merkin said:

Good that you make your first post since July to state this. It’s great that lots of legacy posters seem to be popping up all at the same time to continue threads that have drifted away from other former regular posters views. 

Okay, I sincerely apologise for any unintended criticism of Cringle that I have been goaded into making by some of the posters here.

Media gatekeepers -- people in charge of the media, who call the shots -- ensure that media access is limited to people like themselves or who fit within a very limited spectrum of discourse. In Cringle's case, he is just not someone who is going to start challenging the current power system.  That's not meant as a criticism of him. At no point have I said his column should be done away with; I've only said that more people should be given columns to represent a broader range of viewpoints and subject matter.

Edited by Rushen Spy
  • Like 1

The notion that there have been media gatekeepers that control the voices heard is a valid one. I can see how it might mean that female authors were expected to write genre fiction whilst male ones got to write literature. Or black actors always got cast as villains. 

But you’re a white Manx man. How has another white, or at least bronze, Manx man being employed to write garbage for the paper prevented you from writing garbage for the paper? 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Declan said:

The notion that there have been media gatekeepers that control the voices heard is a valid one. I can see how it might mean that female authors were expected to write genre fiction whilst male ones got to write literature. Or black actors always got cast as villains. 

But you’re a white Manx man. How has another white, or at least bronze, Manx man being employed to write garbage for the paper prevented you from writing garbage for the paper? 

The class system and a perpetual one-sided class war are alive and well.

This is even more the case in the Isle of Man than in the UK, which is why so many young people stay in the UK if given the opportunity.

Edited by Rushen Spy