Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
SJR

Terry Cringle IOM newspapers..

1 hour ago, Rushen Spy said:

I've only said that more people should be given columns to represent a broader range of viewpoints and subject matter.

They gave Bernard Moffat his own column, what more do you want?

• Sad 1

Just now, Max Power said:

They gave Bernard Moffat his own column, what more do you want?

Following on from mention of "gatekeepers", Moffatt is what I'd label "controlled opposition". He's kept around to create the illusion of opposition.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Following on from mention of "gatekeepers", Moffatt is what I'd label "controlled opposition". He's kept around to create the illusion of opposition.

I'm beginning to believe there's a parallel universe....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Moffatt never challenged the power system. He was part of the system.

I totally agree Moffatt was, and still is, a very good actor. He’s like one of those special branch officers who went so far undercover he doesn’t really know who he is anymore. He’s one of the architect’s and grandfather of the bloated public sector. 

• Like 1

I enjoyed reading this week about the yacht that was wrecked on Douglas Beach and the information provided by Captain Carter. Two full pages of this and other nostalgia and photos.

It must be very difficult to try to find material to fill the newspapers with content each week. Surely with the increased use of online news, they would be better off limiting it to one newspaper per week and focusing on more in-depth analysis? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, timetraveler said:

It must be very difficult to try to find material to fill the newspapers with content each week. Surely with the increased use of online news, they would be better off limiting it to one newspaper per week and focusing on more in-depth analysis? 

But that would preclude the sale of advertising in all three.

On 9/14/2019 at 1:50 AM, Rushen Spy said:

people like you whose opinion and talking points on any topic can be predicted very easily because you're like a walking stereotype of a boomer, as are the people in charge of the media and the island in general. They don't need to sit and monitor all your content to quickly censor or control it, as they already know what you're going to say in advance. 

We are thinking about the same Stu Peters are we? The one I know never walks anywhere if he can avoid it.

As for knowing in advance what he's going to say, you clearly haven't followed his Manx Radio career very closely. I don't think even Stu knows what he's going to say in advance, let alone the media controllers. It makes him human and his programme interesting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2019 at 5:55 PM, Rushen Spy said:

Moffatt never challenged the power system. He was part of the system.

Regarding the "system" isn't the lack of opportunity for younger generations largely down to an overall lack of opportunity and waiting for those in senior positions to retire or move?

I have seen it in my field.  Once a senior position becomes vacant it creates a ripple effect as people move around back filling various jobs.  It then settles down until the someone else moves on.

I know nepotism exists and that is unfortunate but it also exists in the UK but is less of an issue because there are more opportunities.

I think the media on the Island is the same.  There are a limited number of permanent positions and doing freelance work carries an element of risk for those who may have young families, mortgages or rent to pay and need consistent income.

The quality of journalism and even the basic quality of writing has declined alarmingly in recent decades. Some of those writing professionally today would have been rejected as borderline illiterate back in the day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

Regarding the "system" isn't the lack of opportunity for younger generations largely down to an overall lack of opportunity and waiting for those in senior positions to retire or move?

I have seen it in my field.  Once a senior position becomes vacant it creates a ripple effect as people move around back filling various jobs.  It then settles down until the someone else moves on.

I know nepotism exists and that is unfortunate but it also exists in the UK but is less of an issue because there are more opportunities.

I think the media on the Island is the same.  There are a limited number of permanent positions and doing freelance work carries an element of risk for those who may have young families, mortgages or rent to pay and need consistent income.

it's called the gravy train for a reason.......

they could always set themselves up in business.........but would only have themselves to blame if it went wrong.......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, woody2 said:

it's called the gravy train for a reason.......

they could always set themselves up in business.........but would only have themselves to blame if it went wrong.......

It's not about blame if something goes wrong it is about it is about having the mindset, determination and tolerance of risk required to go self-employed or operate your own business.  On the island you also have a limited market so some people may find that the market place is already flooded with the service they can offer.

I would imagine that event management, by which I mean providing barriers, security personnel etc, would be a very challenging field to enter on the island due to the investment required up front, the competition which already exists and the lack of large scale concerts.  Even in the UK most concerts I have been to are managed by Showsec.

4 hours ago, woolley said:

The quality of journalism and even the basic quality of writing has declined alarmingly in recent decades. Some of those writing professionally today would have been rejected as borderline illiterate back in the day.

I had no idea you were paid to post here.