Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
SJR

Terry Cringle IOM newspapers..

17 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

I had no idea you were paid to post here.

Very droll, Bobster. 'Tis but a modest sinecure. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

It's not about blame if something goes wrong it is about it is about having the mindset, determination and tolerance of risk required to go self-employed or operate your own business.  On the island you also have a limited market so some people may find that the market place is already flooded with the service they can offer.

so you have no self belief......stick to the gravy train then......

3 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

I would imagine that event management, by which I mean providing barriers, security personnel etc, would be a very challenging field to enter on the island due to the investment required up front, the competition which already exists and the lack of large scale concerts.  Even in the UK most concerts I have been to are managed by Showsec.

event management is just that...most are only one person......

event suppliers provide the infrastructure.......(which is what i do)

showsec do mainly foh security......many other companies do the same.....they don't own barriers etc.....and just because you see staff doesn't equal they are running the event......

the event industry is much bigger than concerts.......

46 minutes ago, woody2 said:

so you have no self belief......stick to the gravy train then......

*yawn*  Your attempts at personal attacks are boring...

46 minutes ago, woody2 said:

event management is just that...most are only one person......

event suppliers provide the infrastructure.......(which is what i do)

showsec do mainly foh security......many other companies do the same.....they don't own barriers etc.....and just because you see staff doesn't equal they are running the event......

the event industry is much bigger than concerts.......

I have no knowledge of that sector so thanks for the insight.  Good luck with your business.

10 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Regarding the "system" isn't the lack of opportunity for younger generations largely down to an overall lack of opportunity and waiting for those in senior positions to retire or move?

I have seen it in my field.  Once a senior position becomes vacant it creates a ripple effect as people move around back filling various jobs.  It then settles down until the someone else moves on.

I know nepotism exists and that is unfortunate but it also exists in the UK but is less of an issue because there are more opportunities.

I think the media on the Island is the same.  There are a limited number of permanent positions and doing freelance work carries an element of risk for those who may have young families, mortgages or rent to pay and need consistent income.

I think that is part of it. On the other hand, why are the young(er) people they do recruit usually not local or Manx? They clearly have a bias against young Manx people and prefer to recruit off-island. Perhaps the young talent just don't bother coming back, they go and marry and have kids across; whereas on the odd occasion when a position does become available, they advertise it all over the UK, and then locals -- who are already systemically discriminated against -- will not bother applying because they know the system here is designed against their interest.

I should point out that I personally have never had any interest in entering radio or newspaper media, so this isn't about me; it's purely an outside observation.

I notice they hire people who have no talent as well though. Probably people who have the right parents.

Edited by Rushen Spy
  • Haha 1

Just now, mojomonkey said:

You'll be a shoo-in then.

As I mentioned above, this isn't about me. I have never had any interest in being hired by any of the media companies on the island.

In a parallel universe, people are hired entirely on their skillset, competence and attitude - irrespective of race, gender, sexuality, people they know or political affinity.

Sadly we seem to be galloping inexorably away from that. I'm all for creating equal opportunities (especially for Manx people in the Isle of Man) but I despair of this current move towards tick box employment policy.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

In a parallel universe, people are hired entirely on their skillset, competence and attitude - irrespective of race, gender, sexuality, people they know or political affinity.

Sadly we seem to be galloping inexorably away from that. I'm all for creating equal opportunities (especially for Manx people in the Isle of Man) but I despair of this current move towards tick box employment policy.

You really are living in a parallel universe if you think hiring was EVER based entirely on skillset, competence and attitude.

I do agree with you about the tick box stuff though. People SHOULD be hired based on INDIVIDUAL skillset, competence and attitude.

The Legislative Council is a very good example of where that kind of tick box policy has gone wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

You really are living in a parallel universe if you think hiring was EVER based entirely on skillset, competence and attitude.

I do agree with you about the tick box stuff though. People SHOULD be hired based on INDIVIDUAL skillset, competence and attitude.

The Legislative Council is a very good example of where that kind of tick box policy has gone wrong.

What about McDonald's, what were their hiring practices like?

37 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

What about McDonald's, what were their hiring practices like?

Carter Jones McDonald? I wouldn't know.

2 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

I wonder why :lol:

Uh, because I've never worked there or applied for any jobs there?

7 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Uh, because I've never worked there or applied for any jobs there?

Whyever flippin' not?