Southside Traffic Problems

gettafa

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Loads of people crash on that road, mostly driving too fast and fucking it up. 50 is perfectly fine along there.

Even that may be too high - maybe OK with a good driver in perfect conditions and no one else on the road, but that's not usually the case.  As you say there's always been a lot of accidents on that stretch and I'm not convinced making it more 'driveable', which may mean people increase speed without really thinking about it, is the right idea.

Let us not forget that a weighty element in this equation is the piss-poor standard of driving exhibited by many of our fellow Islanders. The only place I’ve felt less safe on the roads is Portugal where recklessness is actually considered an essential feature of driving. 

17 minutes ago, Kopek said:

The surface of this road is quite 'rough'. Was that deliberate? Is it some form of drainage aid? It feels to be corrugated. that can't be right surely?

How could they get it so wrong?

Derby road is exactly the same,  thought my DMF was failing going up there a few months ago!

On 10/30/2019 at 5:05 PM, Gizo said:

Agreed. The corner above the shore hotel has become a pinch point in the road. 

Not forgetting, no cats eyes, no street lighting, no speed limit.  So a dark miserable day and that can become quite dangerous.  But they have dug that section up 5 times since April so it’s obviously correct now. 

Ok, so I cycled along this way today. I’ll retract the cats eyes, there’s millions of them ( the road never used to have them). 

the surface of the cycleway is atrocious so I rode on the road. By Limestone Farm there is a kerb to overcome to use the cycleway. It’s fucken ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, Gizo said:

Ok, so I cycled along this way today. I’ll retract the cats eyes, there’s millions of them ( the road never used to have them). 

the surface of the cycleway is atrocious so I rode on the road. By Limestone Farm there is a kerb to overcome to use the cycleway. It’s fucken ridiculous. 

welcome to the best of the DOI

8 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

All things considered, does it feel that it is a route for where the individual can be left to determine what is a safe upper speed, or did it need the guidance of a limit being set?

Well the obvious consideration is that there will always be someone who misjudges what is a safe upper speed and comes a cropper.  In my mind it's a road where it's perfectly ok to be doing more than 50mph under normal circumstances, but I couldn't honestly object if a 60mph limit was put in.

I genuinely don't know though, I think speed limit or not pretty much the same drivers will drive excessively fast and I wouldn't expect the accident rate to change.  I'm not sure that there have been very many accidents on that road over the last 10 years or so, not that I can remember at the moment anyway.   It's actually pretty rare that you have opportunity to drive fast on that road these days anyway.  There's nearly always some clown pootling along at 35mph with a queue of cars behind them.

8 minutes ago, Chef Raekwon said:

I'm not sure that there have been very many accidents on that road over the last 10 years or so, not that I can remember at the moment anyway.  

Oh there are loads. Almost monthly someone bins it along there, normally just a 1 car-got-corner-wrong-put it-in-the wall-at-2am-type accidents. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Oh there are loads. Almost monthly someone bins it along there, normally just a 1 car-got-corner-wrong-put it-in-the wall-at-2am-type accidents. 

Yeah so probably no difference if the road had a speed limit or not tbf.

And I think monthly is an exaggeration tbf.

I meant that's there's not been many 'bad' accidents there in recent years.

Edited by Chef Raekwon

11 hours ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

Yes seen lots. I have to say though that having seen those cats eyes the whole route to the airport from Douglas should be done the same way. Those roads are really dark and dangerous early morning and late at night (Santon Motel, Fairy Bridge, Blackboards especially). I’m sure the lack of decent lighting also causes a lot of avoidable accidents. 

modern cars have decent lighting built in,  what they lack is decent drivers who drive to the conditions.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Kopek said:

Yeah, because drivers are dazzled by the decent lighting of other cars!

Funny, the other day I could watch the tv on the tablet being watched by the driver in the car in front of me.  This is a real problem, and it’s not the first time I’ve come across this.