Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Non-Believer

Local VMCC suspend Jurby Festival

48 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

That isn’t an unusual set of rules. In today’s world, Motorsport has to be operated to really high standards. The ‘clubman’ approach is pretty much finished. If you operate a track, you need to have assurances that who is renting it is competent.

I agree fully on the elf and safety things but is it right that Government milk as much money as they can from the facility rendering it unaffordable apart from anything else to people who fund Government via taxation in any case ! No Doubt the JMML have to take on considerable financial risk so my gripes are not with them.

40 minutes ago, asitis said:

I agree fully on the elf and safety things but is it right that Government milk as much money as they can from the facility rendering it unaffordable apart from anything else to people who fund Government via taxation in any case ! No Doubt the JMML have to take on considerable financial risk so my gripes are not with them.

A very valid point. I have a view that Motorsport can contribute to road safety, in respect of taking inappropriate speeds off the road, and improving car control. If we were switched on, we would have a subsidized and supported programme of events up there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

A very valid point. I have a view that Motorsport can contribute to road safety, in respect of taking inappropriate speeds off the road, and improving car control. If we were switched on, we would have a subsidized and supported programme of events up there.

switched on ???   we've barely got fire never mind electricity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Good luck with the switched on part. Sadly there is little to no initiative for things like this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, asitis said:

It's my understanding that for most enthusiast type clubs the prices make it very difficult to fund use and event!

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

That isn’t an unusual set of rules. In today’s world, Motorsport has to be operated to really high standards. The ‘clubman’ approach is pretty much finished. If you operate a track, you need to have assurances that who is renting it is competent.

I don't think the costs of renting the airfield are a factor at all. For example, the VMCC continue to run track days with far fewer income streams and the ARA run their race meetings and track days, although they have had to cancel the last meetings of this year due to lack of entries. The track action is well managed and controlled by the Jurby management so this is a red herring. The difficulty arises with the increasingly heavy burden of other costs and legislation imposed by our 'silo mentality' civil servants. Yes, they still live in silos I'm afraid, despite the best efforts of Alan Bell and his team! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I don't think the costs of renting the airfield are a factor at all. For example, the VMCC continue to run track days with far fewer income streams and the ARA run their race meetings and track days, although they have had to cancel the last meetings of this year due to lack of entries. The track action is well managed and controlled by the Jurby management so this is a red herring. The difficulty arises with the increasingly heavy burden of other costs and legislation imposed by our 'silo mentality' civil servants. Yes, they still live in silos I'm afraid, despite the best efforts of Alan Bell and his team! 

VMCC are now being obliged to change their trackday format Max. Insurance liability implications for the section after a couple of recent "incidents" mean that the running of such days is proposed to be passed to the Jurby circuit management consortium - with a likely attendant hike in costs to participating members.

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

VMCC are now being obliged to change their trackday format Max. Insurance liability implications for the section after a couple of recent "incidents" mean that the running of such days is proposed to be passed to the Jurby circuit management consortium - with a likely attendant hike in costs to participating members.

I always thought that the Jurby management ran the track action for the VMCC track days anyway?

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

I always thought that the Jurby management ran the track action for the VMCC track days anyway?

There were a couple of "incidents" during the July 5th trackday that have convinced the VMCC to hand over full control to the Jurby management. Including full marshalling, I think. Insurance and liability implications for the VMCC that they weren't prepared to expose themselves to.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

Jurby has a strong future in motor racing. Eventually the TT and all the other tag along events will be there. So perhaps this is a positive development in the long term 

Jurby would need completely re-landscaped and the prison relocated. It's got no potential as it stands!

2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Jurby would need completely re-landscaped and the prison relocated. It's got no potential as it stands!

Why relocate prison?, with Guy Martin binning off the TT, we need TV stars like Goldie to keep it going.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, asitis said:

Presumably the whole point of the JMML is the L bit - that they're a limited company rather than a club where the officials (who are mostly the same people) might be personally liable, as was the previous situation.  So the financial risk may be less than you think and will in any case depend upon what the agreement with IOMG is.  If JMML are paying them a flat fee, then it's not the Government milking it (if the fee is too high that's JMML's fault).

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Presumably the whole point of the JMML is the L bit - that they're a limited company rather than a club where the officials (who are mostly the same people) might be personally liable, as was the previous situation.  So the financial risk may be less than you think and will in any case depend upon what the agreement with IOMG is.  If JMML are paying them a flat fee, then it's not the Government milking it (if the fee is too high that's JMML's fault).

The limited company bit only protects officials from financial liability. Any gross negligence etc would still leave them exposed 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

The limited company bit only protects officials from financial liability. Any gross negligence etc would still leave them exposed 

Well the financial angle was mostly what was being discussed.  But we're not great at prosecuting corporate negligence on the Island and that of company officers even less so.  In fact anything other than banging up Goldie again seems to be a stretch for the AG's Office and even that took three attempts last time.