Local VMCC suspend Jurby Festival

2 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

Haha calm down Max. Deep down you and the other TT apologists know the days of racing on public roads are numbered. It's just a question of what will kill it off and when. 

While Jurby may not be 'perfect' in your opinion it will be the only option left. What's the old saying? You can't polish a turd, but you can stick a TT badge on it and charge clueless visitors an extortionate amount of money for it. 

As for how much I've paid personally, I'd quite like to know myself... the extra costs to police, healthcare, wear and tear being stuck in traffic... it would be good to know! I certainly haven't benefited a penny from it! 

I'm not a TT apologist, far from it but I'm not sure that its days are numbered. If they are, believe me we will all be worse off in many ways.  

I said that Jurby, or anywhere would need to be remodelled and landscaped, you may think that TT visitors are clueless but you'd find that they aren't. They won't flock over in their thousands to watch from a few jury rigged grandstands on an old WW2 airfield with a prison stuck in the corner. The TT is all about what went before and tradition, without that, the TT is nothing. 

The TT actually pays for itself, according to the DofE, through branding, TV rights etc. There is also the uplift to the economy provided by people spending their money here. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Standard negotiating position of the island's motorcycle community. Cancel. Outrage. DfE panic. Taxpayer ends up paying. 

I do know that there was discontent after the 2018 event over increasing regulation (Govt imposed) and that VAT was to be charged on the takings (again, Govt imposed) which was the cause of a consider

Listen/watch the interview on Manx Radio. A very clear and open account. Everything you need to know. Well done the club for what they have achieved.  

10 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I'm not a TT apologist, far from it but I'm not sure that its days are numbered. If they are, believe me we will all be worse off in many ways.  

I said that Jurby, or anywhere would need to be remodelled and landscaped, you may think that TT visitors are clueless but you'd find that they aren't. They won't flock over in their thousands to watch from a few jury rigged grandstands on an old WW2 airfield with a prison stuck in the corner. The TT is all about what went before and tradition, without that, the TT is nothing. 

The TT actually pays for itself, according to the DofE, through branding, TV rights etc. There is also the uplift to the economy provided by people spending their money here. 

iomg pay for it don't they?

24 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Yes, yes you are. You're probably the biggest TT apologist on here. 

The TT does not pay for itself. The Starship Enterprise make up a load of old shite to try and claim that, but never produce black and white figures to prove it. 

When you say we would all be worse off, you actually mean people with a vested interest in the TT would be worse off. Normal Joe Public office workers etc. wouldn't be any worse off. in fact they would be better off as it would be cheaper to take families away in the school holidays. Patients at the hospital would be better off as routine procedures and appointments wouldn't be cancelled. A few of the cruddier B&Bs may die off, but that's just economic evolution.

Apart from the social cost and decline in visitors to the island, we would lose eateries of all sorts, yes, fewer B&Bs which will become flats for the increasingly impoverished to occupy, fewer shops, fewer pubs, less people trained in various support functions, dare I say a poorer and less skilled A&E and orthopaedic service? Apart from the few things I can think of off the top of my head, the island will just continue its demise into a dead hole with some nice scenery.  

Andreas. How could the 50 or so bike racers afford the 3mil resurfacing to end up with a two lane, short dogleg to the east circuit? The centre barrier alone would be k's and k's!

Is the land Govt owned? Could it be put to better use than an airstrip or circuit?

4 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Andreas. How could the 50 or so bike racers afford the 3mil resurfacing to end up with a two lane, short dogleg to the east circuit? The centre barrier alone would be k's and k's!

Is the land Govt owned? Could it be put to better use than an airstrip or circuit?

It's in private ownership. 

So what keeps a large strip of land in private ownership viable? Too expensive to rip the tarmac up? The owners like to fly?

Who, apart from the owners, actually use the airstrip? Manx Spuds export? 200 kgs of Manx spuds going to Covent Garden Market?

Maybe the FARC use it to import drugs!!!

4 minutes ago, Kopek said:

So what keeps a large strip of land in private ownership viable? Too expensive to rip the tarmac up? The owners like to fly?

Who, apart from the owners, actually use the airstrip? Manx Spuds export? 200 kgs of Manx spuds going to Covent Garden Market?

Maybe the FARC use it to import drugs!!!

People who are smart enough to avoid Ronaldway and all it's constantly fog bound and ripoff status!

• Like 1

But is it viable as an alternative to the agricultural use that the land could be used for?

Who would want to fly into Andreas? Anyone affording their own Plane could afford the fees and taxi from RWY???

23 minutes ago, finlo said:

People who are smart enough to avoid Ronaldway and all it's constantly fog bound and ripoff status!

I hate to say this but I was up at Andreas airfield and got lost looking for someone, I ended up driving up and down the runway and nobody tried to stop me? Didn't see any planes though.