Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Non-Believer

Local VMCC suspend Jurby Festival

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

Andreas. How could the 50 or so bike racers afford the 3mil resurfacing to end up with a two lane, short dogleg to the east circuit? The centre barrier alone would be k's and k's!

Is the land Govt owned? Could it be put to better use than an airstrip or circuit?

The TT is worth billions and apparently pays cof itself so that won't be a problem! 

Today’s nonsense from the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece-

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/meeting-sought-over-festival-of-jurby/

Roughly translated can mean - 

a) Skelly and the Starship Enterprise are due to make embarrassing climb down

b) Government want to take over the event and then claim the kudos

or 

c) Skelly and Starship Enterprise have had a roasting fron HRH The Chief Minister and been to told to sort this mess out - whatever it costs or takes. 

5 minutes ago, 2112 said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/meeting-sought-over-festival-of-jurby/

or 

c) Skelly and Starship Enterprise have had a roasting fron HRH The Chief Minister and been to told to sort this mess out - whatever it costs or takes. 

Possibly toys out of the pram moment from the motorbike brigade again?

That's their usual reaction when things don't go their way. If they're a bit late getting picked up on the Mountain - "I'm never marshalling again" or if something doesn't suit them at TT "I'm never coming here again". 

So it's entirely possible this was just a PR stunt. 

26 minutes ago, 2112 said:

or 

the best help government can give in almost every situation is to stay the fuck out of it.

• Like 2

I genuinely think they are throughly pissed off with Skelly, Callister, Starship Enterprise  and the Motorsports Team. The constant rules and regulations year after year, plus insurance requirements haven’t helped either. The VMCC May have approached Starship and it’s glorious leaders for help, advice or begging bowl and it’s possible they were refused on all counts. I think the VMCC original statement suggests that they had reached the end of their tether, enough is enough and time to Make a Principled Stand.

10 hours ago, Max Power said:

Apart from the social cost and decline in visitors to the island, we would lose eateries of all sorts, yes, fewer B&Bs which will become flats for the increasingly impoverished to occupy, fewer shops, fewer pubs, less people trained in various support functions, dare I say a poorer and less skilled A&E and orthopaedic service? Apart from the few things I can think of off the top of my head, the island will just continue its demise into a dead hole with some nice scenery.  

So basically, the entire economic model of the Isle of Man is propped up on the survival of the TT?

Jesus, this is worse than I thought!

• Haha 2

Lets hope the no regulations are slackened to accommodate these chancers at the expense of safety. Although this is the IOM and motorcycle so they'll probably ditch the regs and throw thousands of pounds at them. 

Edited by Declan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Declan said:

Lets hope the regulations are slackened to accommodate these chancers at the expense of safety. Although this is the IOM and motorcycle so they'll probably ditch the regs and throw thousands of pounds at them. 

Why are they "chancers"? They're volunteers fron a local club concern who have for ten years organised a very successful event which is now being impacted by increasing red tape and bureaucracy which is unfortunately the way of the world. That they've had enough is not their fault.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

So basically, the entire economic model of the Isle of Man is propped up on the survival of the TT?

He is a bit of an old drama queen is Mad Max Power. 

Quite amusing that he thinks the entire Isle of Man is propped up by the TT 

The TT and MGP are great, but you can’t just keep doing the same thing and expect it to keep working. IMO it’s not the event it was fifteen years ago - remember when the major manufacturers had ‘villages’, and when “Honda day” was a thing? 

Whereas the big, growing events collect more and more visitors, and association with bigger, more prestigious sponsors, even the motorbike industry seems to hold the event at arms length these days. That can’t be right?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Max Power said:

dare I say a poorer and less skilled A&E and orthopaedic service?

What on earth does the TT have to do with the quality of our A&E department? Are you trying to imply that not having severe trauma cases would somehow make the Isle of Man less attractive to medical staff?

40 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Why are they "chancers"? They're volunteers fron a local club concern who have for ten years organised a very successful event which is now being impacted by increasing red tape and bureaucracy which is unfortunately the way of the world. That they've had enough is not their fault.

"Let's not abide by safety regulations because we're volunteers." That sounds very chancy to me. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

it is for some people.