Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Non-Believer

Local VMCC suspend Jurby Festival

"... as the event has grown in both size and stature." 

Yet attendance down 15% since 2017! What the fuck is anyone supposed to believe? Why the lengthy wait for the FoM figures?

Just now, quilp said:

"... as the event has grown in both size and stature." 

Yet attendance down 15% since 2017! What the fuck is anyone supposed to believe? Why the lengthy wait for the FoM figures?

To be fair, the place was packed and you would have thought that this was a record attendance. 2017 was the high point, last year the weather was bad so that may have had an effect on this year? 

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

A bit of an exaggeration Derek but several things are propped up by the TT. Your supercar events were made possible in no small way due to the infrastructure and experience in running the TT.

Er, no they weren't. 

My safety and planning team had nothing to do with the TT, and indeed it was likely  the rather blinkered "TT" approach and aversion to 4 wheel motorsport that led to us shutting up shop. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Er, no they weren't. 

My safety and planning team had nothing to do with the TT, and indeed it was likely  the rather blinkered "TT" approach and aversion to 4 wheel motorsport that led to us shutting up shop. 

So why would you want to close the Mountain road, would this have been possible or even wanted without it happening at the TT? It's become acceptable for many things to happen because they have been done at the TT. I didn't mean your team but just one example is Hogg Motorsport, providing first aid cover at events throughout the island. They would never exist without the TT and it may be difficult to get cover otherwise.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

I think a lot of the problems have come from other government departments rather than the DofE?

Certainly H&S had waded in with considerable fire avoidance measures required. Obligatory staffing levels too.

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Er, no they weren't. 

Well said Derek. Sadly Max can't see past the TT.

You achieved a great deal that was 'outside the box' at the time.

• Haha 1

Hmmm, I think Max would be right, people with stupid cars would come here to drive the mountain road, famous because...

You look at the way Derek went about the whole stupid car thing, he wasn't selling it on 'look, come over here, you can drive your car as fast as you want on all our derestricted roads, its a right laugh', infact im sure i read some stuff around the time specifically discouraging it, but it was trading on the reputation of the course.

Well, that's what I think anyway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gettafa said:

Listen/watch the interview on Manx Radio. A very clear and open account. Everything you need to know.

Well done the club for what they have achieved.

Having just watched this interview, I fully sympathised with him. It opened to me the hard work going on, without financial support, inspite of the Elf n Safety rules and obstacles and hurdles in the way. I thought the interview was emotional and poignant. I hope Skelly, Callister and other big wig Civil Servants watched and listetened. I listened to the comment about Government requiring expressions of i nterest before anything can be done. It’s funny how if Government want something done quickly, the usual suspects ( vested interests) companies spring into action. I’m sure Manx Forums contributors could reel off a list of names.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Having just watched this interview, I fully sympathised with him. It opened to me the hard work going on, without financial support, inspite of the Elf n Safety rules and obstacles and hurdles in the way. I thought the interview was emotional and poignant. I hope Skelly, Callister and other big wig Civil Servants watched and listetened. I listened to the comment about Government requiring expressions of i nterest before anything can be done. It’s funny how if Government want something done quickly, the usual suspects ( vested interests) companies spring into action. I’m sure Manx Forums contributors could reel off a list of names.

Yes I was struck by the contrast between the dignified and responsible-sounding interview and the rather panicky statement put out by the DfE that Max posted above.  Clearly the Skellymen still believe that they can somehow persuade the Club into running it without very substantial changes.  It's also interesting that the Club were concerned to give the maximum possible notice of their decision.  Contrast that with the way the DfE mucked the Rally about and when the organisers decided to cancel, the DfE were indignant because they said they always agreed to let the event go ahead at the last minute and so the organisers shouldn't have worried.  As the dispute there was mainly H&S, that suggests that the similar problems with Jurby are also under the control of DfE, possibly via JMMC.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

.  As the dispute there was mainly H&S, that suggests that the similar problems with Jurby are also under the control of DfE, possibly via JMMC.

I believe that's one reason, every year there are fresh hurdles to negotiate as Civil Servants of various departments look to justify their jobs. The VMCC always comply with what is asked of them but there comes a point where any sane person would ask themselves why they are bothering. 

This sort of thing is a massive deterrent to any organisation wishing to organise any event where government become involved. They add additional layers of bureaucracy  over and above any reputable governing body governing the events or sports in the belief that they are helping! As Roger says, the rally being one case in point!

Edited by Max Power
  • Like 2

why don't iomg change the law removing liability from the organisers as they do in england........

13 minutes ago, woody2 said:

why don't iomg change the law removing liability from the organisers as they do in england........

And put the blame on who? If you think they'd take the Rapp you're aving a larffe.

13 minutes ago, finlo said:

And put the blame on who? If you think they'd take the Rapp you're aving a larffe.

Oh, I dunno. When was the last time anybody in Govt over here admitted responsibility for ANYTHING?

I wonder if the bad news klaxons have stopped sounding in Skelly's Spin Dept. yet, what with this and Pokerstars there's been a lot of bad news to bury this week. Did I hear correctly about something about lay-offs from a bank somewhere too? Genuine question.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit

12 minutes ago, finlo said:

why should it be anybodies fault except the rider or driver ??  if you crash your car its your fault unless you had help then it could be their fault,  but blaming the people who said you could ride your bike here because you crashed is just stupid,  it is like saying every RTC is the fault of the DOI because they provided the roads.