Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Non-Believer

Local VMCC suspend Jurby Festival

14 minutes ago, finlo said:

And put the blame on who? If you think they'd take the Rapp you're aving a larffe.

no one.....motorsport is dangerous........

5 minutes ago, WTF said:

why should it be anybodies fault except the rider or driver ??  if you crash your car its your fault unless you had help then it could be their fault,  but blaming the people who said you could ride your bike here because you crashed is just stupid,  it is like saying every RTC is the fault of the DOI because they provided the roads.

Where there's no blame, there's no claim. Pandering to the legal profession and its penchant for high living!

Ok - to offer a voice to the silent majority, who gives a flying fuck about the ending of their tedious procession of old metal? Not fucking me that’s for sure.

7 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Hmmm, I think Max would be right, people with stupid cars would come here to drive the mountain road, famous because...

You look at the way Derek went about the whole stupid car thing, he wasn't selling it on 'look, come over here, you can drive your car as fast as you want on all our derestricted roads, its a right laugh', infact im sure i read some stuff around the time specifically discouraging it, but it was trading on the reputation of the course.

Well, that's what I think anyway.

The concept was to take high speed off the open public road.

probably a bit ahead of our time tbh

Today’s nonsense from the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece which does encapsulates the interview yesterday of the chair of IOMVMCC -

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/government-action-too-slow-to-help-rescue-festival-of-jurby/

The really sad thing is if you look at the news agenda -

Job Losses

Skelly and Douglas Prom helping businesses

MHKs incessantly banging on about climate change

Brexit

and Jurby Day is at the bottom of the list. These Tynpotwald idiots, especially the Climate Change 3 care not one jot for other aspects of island life or tourism - merely their own blinkered attitudes.

I have noticed that RC has kept his mouth shut, normally he has an opinion on everything and especially when it comes to businesses using the letters TT. 

Unless I am mistaken DJ Dave the other great motorcycle enthusiast and previous Minister has also remained silent. He did pipe up his support for the 100 plus puppets and kiddie winks out of school protesting outside of the Tynpotwald building yesterday. He was full of praise. I wonder where the MLP stand on Jurby Day, Motorsports Tourism and the loss of up to 80 jobs at Pokerstars? 

14 hours ago, woody2 said:

why don't iomg change the law removing liability from the organisers as they do in england........

I don’t think that is the case. Do you have a link? Organisers are always ultimately liable as far as I’m aware. There have been a number of prosecutions in UK in recent years on a variety of different forms of event - cycling is the one that springs to mind. 

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/not-guilty-plea-from-llangollen-race-organisers-in-spectator-death-case-2017.html

With regards the Jurby Fest to me this looks very simple. These guys have been putting their time in for years (presumably with no pay with it being a club), and the balance of effort vs. enjoyment has now tilted too far the other way for them. As they guy said in the MR interview there is probably very little Gov can do to help, because ultimately the problem boils down NOT to money, but to having people who know what they’re doing and are willing to put in the effort - if they’re not there you can’t simply hire them, it doesn’t work like that. I was tempted to say Gov could supply some ‘bodies’ to help with the grunt, but even that is then putting more pressure on the top guys to manage them, and you’ve probably then got another liability nightmare. It’s not a problem gov can fix I think - and that chap indicates the same.

Of course that’s not to say IOM Gov haven’t made it more difficult than it needs to be. We’ve seen this in 4 wheeled events, where the organiser is working entirely within the requirements of a UK authorizing body, and so would be entirely covered ultimately by the UK government, only to have IOM Gov add their own additional requirements - which it sounds like could have been happening here. 

The guys deserve a big thank you for their efforts to provide an event which was clearly popular with visitors. 

9 minutes ago, James Hampton said:

I don’t think that is the case. Do you have a link? Organisers are always ultimately liable as far as I’m aware. There have been a number of prosecutions in UK in recent years on a variety of different forms of event - cycling is the one that springs to mind. 

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/not-guilty-plea-from-llangollen-race-organisers-in-spectator-death-case-2017.html

that wasn't a authorised event by the looks of it.......

An Authorised Events is an event where the Organiser has been granted ‘Authorisation’ in accordance with the Road Traffic Act (Off Road Events) Regulations of 1995 (SI 1995)

authorised event cover.......

The revised (1995) Section 13A of the Road Traffic Act 1988 provides that a person shall not be guilty of an offence under Sections 1, 2 or 3 of the 1988 Act by virtue of driving a vehicle in a public place other than a road if he shows that he was driving in accordance with an authorisation for a motoring event given under these Regulations.

The offences under Sections 1, 2 and 3 of the 1988 Act are:

• a) causing death by dangerous driving;
  • b) dangerous driving;
  • c) careless and inconsiderate driving

they have some info here.........https://ntet.co.uk/rally-authorisation/

6 minutes ago, James Hampton said:

That is exempting the competitor, not the organiser. 

did you read the link.......

The organiser of any event where machinery or equipment is operated or movement of vehicles takes place and the public are present and in close proximity needs to be compliant with the regulations listed above.

If challenged by authority or by a court the organisers of a ‘not-Authorised Event’ needs to consider their ability or otherwise to demonstrate compliance with the
five sets of regulations listed above.
 Ignorance is not a defence in UK law and any event organiser must have in place procedures and safeguards aimed at protecting the public, the participants, contractors, landowners’ property and employees (including volunteers). Devising the required controls and procedures, even for a small event, can be onerous and still may not be fully compliant.

of course they can be taken to court.......anyone can be.......but showing compliance reduces the risk......

iomg could write any law they wanted......

6 minutes ago, woody2 said:

of course they can be taken to court.......anyone can be.......but showing compliance reduces the risk......

I’m aware of the situation. 

You said ‘remove’ liability. 

You’ve now corrected yourself, it’s a reduction, not a removal. 

Organisers are ultimately liable. If they’ve fully complied with the regs they are working to they’ll probably - probably - be ok. If not, they are in deep trouble. 

Edited by James Hampton

1 minute ago, James Hampton said:

I’m aware of the situation. 

You said ‘remove’ liability. 

You’ve no corrected yourself, it’s a reduction, not a removal. 

Organisers are ultimately liable. If they’ve fully complied with the regs they are working to they’ll probably - probably - be ok. If not, they are in deep trouble. 

if they’ve fully complied with the regs they don't have any liability.......

it still remains iomg could pass any law they wanted.......

8 minutes ago, woody2 said:

You are correct in one sense, it is odd that all IOM Motorsport is authorized through the UK Government - and so UK hold ultimate responsibility. Always struck me as a problem waiting to be discovered. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, woody2 said:

if they’ve fully complied with the regs they don't have any liability.......

it still remains iomg could pass any law they wanted.......

It’s not a certainty, as you’ve already acknowledged, that’s not how the law works.

IOMG could pass any law, that is correct.