Jump to content

Local VMCC suspend Jurby Festival


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, woody2 said:

the british cycling federation aren't listed........

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1995/1371/made

It’s a UK Governing Body.

Organisers would generally be prosecuted under H&S legislation, not traffic acts. That’s why there is no 100% exemption possible.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Standard negotiating position of the island's motorcycle community. Cancel. Outrage. DfE panic. Taxpayer ends up paying. 

I do know that there was discontent after the 2018 event over increasing regulation (Govt imposed) and that VAT was to be charged on the takings (again, Govt imposed) which was the cause of a consider

Listen/watch the interview on Manx Radio. A very clear and open account. Everything you need to know. Well done the club for what they have achieved.  

4 minutes ago, James Hampton said:

It’s a UK Governing Body.

Organisers would generally be prosecuted under H&S legislation, not traffic acts. That’s why there is no 100% exemption possible.  

 

Quote

Although the NTET’s Event Authorisation Scheme was originally designed to deal exclusively with The Motor Vehicles (Off Road Events) Regulations 1995 its scope has been substantially widened to assist the event organiser in being compliant with the requirement of other regulations, particularly those listed below, and more besides.

  • a) The Motor Vehicles (Off Road Events) Regulations 1995
  • b) The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974
  • c) Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005
  • d) The Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act (SVGA) 2006
  • e) The Insurance Act 2015

:whistling:

you brought bikealists into a discussion on motorsport not me.....

Link to post
Share on other sites

The point you tried to make was that the UK has removed liability for event organisers. That is not true, and none of the links you’ve provided say that. There is a significant reduction if you can show compliance with regs - irrespective of whether it’s a motorized or any other form of event, but nowhere does any info I’ve ever seen (and I’ve seen a lot) offer a total removal of liability as you indicated, even if compliant. Prove me wrong. 100% clear exemption please. 

The IOM could draft its own law, but it would have to overrule all the other laws as listed - which would clearly be madness. 

Edited by James Hampton
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Of course none of that excludes civil liability from a damages claim

I think (could be wrong) that most organising bodies do offer some insurance for organisers in terms of civil liability (true for MSUK for instance), but again not absolute and subject to compliance. 

Most organsing bodies - whether authorized or not - are essentially insurance providers. MSUK provide permits, which is the legal requirement, and within the permit is insurance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, James Hampton said:

I think (could be wrong) that most organising bodies do offer some insurance for organisers in terms of civil liability (true for MSUK for instance), but again not absolute and subject to compliance. 

Most organsing bodies - whether authorized or not - are essentially insurance providers. MSUK provide permits, which is the legal requirement, and within the permit is insurance. 

Insurance against liability and excluding civil liability aren’t the same, and insurance can be avoided, especially if you haven’t complied with H&SW or other relevant regs.

Its really no different to anything. You May have a full driving licence, car tax, MOT, and insurance but drive badly, in an unsafe car, whilst drunk and you get prosecuted and lose the benefit of insurance cover.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, James Hampton said:

The point you tried to make was that the UK has removed liability for event organisers. That is not true, and none of the links you’ve provided say that. There is a significant reduction if you can show compliance with regs - irrespective of whether it’s a motorized or any other form of event, but nowhere does any info I’ve ever seen (and I’ve seen a lot) offer a total removal of liability as you indicated, even if compliant. Prove me wrong. 100% clear exemption please. 

The IOM could draft its own law, but it would have to overrule all the other laws as listed - which would clearly be madness. 

if compliant then the case wouldn't go anywhere......

and it still stand iomg could make all events and costs easier and cheaper to organize......

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, woody2 said:

if compliant then the case wouldn't go anywhere......

and it still stand iomg could make all events and costs easier and cheaper to organize......

You saying the case wouldn’t go anywhere is not the same as proving liability has been removed. 

Your original suggestion was that IOMG could change to be ‘like’ the UK in this regard, however the fact is IOM Motorsport already runs under the scheme of reduced liability you claimed was a removal.

If you’re running an approved event your liability is the same IOM or UK.

The only gray area I’ve never had a clear answer on is what would happen if a Manx court tried to summon a UK GOV backed body.

IOMG could reduce liability for organisers, however I can’t see that really being a vote winner as most of the legislation concerned is ostensibly there to protect the public.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...