Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
gettafa

Letter deliveries across Island to drop to five days a week

7 minutes ago, Kopek said:

I don't think that is always the case, you can get the same item from Richer Sounds or an obscure Carlisle shop at the same price! an a lot of 'Half Price ' offers mean old technology!

If you want a new fridge but are not desperate, watch Curries/ Colebouns prices, they go up and down and have ''' reduced price' stickers all over them, wait for the lowest price and don't be fooled by special price offers.

Never buy an recently released piece of technology, it WILL reduce in price!

Thats not over here pricing though, and my term sales wasn't in the "half price sale"context.

32 minutes ago, timetraveler said:

I usually receive negative letters on a Friday to ruin my weekends.

Yep, it's all part of the game. Certain advocates firms do this intentionally and they might have a few seconds laugh in C'sst la Vie (or whatever it is called these days, or the equivalent, Bar George etc) over the Friday pint/glass of wine.

And if a matter can wait a while longer and a Bank Holiday is looming then you can be sure they will wait until then. For the three day f**k off. And an even bigger warm fuzzy glow that only advocates know.

4 hours ago, pongo said:

I'm not convinced we still need letter post at all.

Parcels definitely. But what letters are still actually needed?

Not if you euthanase the 5 million people in Britain who don't use the internet, I suppose.

16 hours ago, Kopek said:

I don't think that is always the case, you can get the same item from Richer Sounds or an obscure Carlisle shop at the same price! an a lot of 'Half Price ' offers mean old technology!

If you want a new fridge but are not desperate, watch Curries/ Colebouns prices, they go up and down and have ''' reduced price' stickers all over them, wait for the lowest price and don't be fooled by special price offers.

Never buy an recently released piece of technology, it WILL reduce in price!

We will never, ever use Currys again.

Internet shopping can be cheaper but sometimes you need someone to shout at....

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, gettafa said:

Manx Radio

I wonder what day certain advocate firms (also tax, general brown envelope and bad news letters) will send out their letters. It always used to be Friday so that it arrived on Saturday morning to screw your weekend up, and of course the recipient would be unable to contact anyone until they had stewed and calmed down a bit. Bank Holiday weekends were even better.

I would have thought the best way to save £500k would be to lose a few managers not employ the same number of people to do 20% less work each week. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

I would have thought the best way to save £500k would be to lose a few managers not employ the same number of people to do 20% less work each week. 

The posties aren't doing any less work.  Probably more as Saturday deliveries tended not to last as long as weekday ones.  They just won't get the days off they got for working Saturdays (or more correctly the new shift patterns need only cover five days, so there will be no need to build period off into them to cater for six-day working).

As to the managers ....

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

The posties aren't doing any less work.  Probably more as Saturday deliveries tended not to last as long as weekday ones.  They just won't get the days off they got for working Saturdays (or more correctly the new shift patterns need only cover five days, so there will be no need to build period off into them to cater for six-day working).

As to the managers ....

3712145.jpg

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

As to the managers ....

Well they are doing less work as they aren’t sorting or delivering anything on a Saturday. I just don't buy this less (service) is more cost saving argument unless you pay people off. 

23 hours ago, gettafa said:

Manx Radio

I wonder what day certain advocate firms (also tax, general brown envelope and bad news letters) will send out their letters. It always used to be Friday so that it arrived on Saturday morning to screw your weekend up, and of course the recipient would be unable to contact anyone until they had stewed and calmed down a bit. Bank Holiday weekends were even better.

UK Royal Mail looking at similar and also the standard delivery charge nationwide is being looked at ie postage same wherever you live...hours being reduced ...union balloting about strike

37 minutes ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

Well they are doing less work as they aren’t sorting or delivering anything on a Saturday. I just don't buy this less (service) is more cost saving argument unless you pay people off. 

You're missing my point.  Though collectively deliverers will be doing less, individual posties will probably be doing more (because Saturdays were less busy).  Although they worked six days a week, they didn't work every week in recompense.  So it would be five weeks on then a week off or whatever.  Now they would work the straight six weeks of five days, rather than five of six days.

So fewer posties will be required in total.  In practice rather than paying people off, it will probably be a mixture of natural wastage, early retirement and using casual workers less.  Someone said they hadn't been recruiting new full contract workers for a while in preparation.  There will still need to be the same number of managers though.  Because Reasons.

• Like 1

1 manager to 3 postmen I was told. That can't be right though. Can it?

I detest receiving letters. I prefer to receive emails. That said, you always need physical letters 3 months in date when giving proof of address for various things so it's still needed for that. These companies and government departments or agencies who require proof of address are going to need to adapt to this somehow because it's not sustainable as many companies and banks transition to electronic communication only.

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

1 manager to 3 postmen I was told. That can't be right though. Can it?

It's an even worse ratio in other areas of government!