Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
rodders

What were the odds on this happening?

2 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

This was announced two days ago. Maybe it just doesn't pay, so close this part of the operation. Plenty of time for those involved to find other work or maybe even branch out on their own, something that's quite easy in IT.

IT-related industries change rapidly, you can't sit still.

I believe the dearth of IT skills on the island puts it in the crosshairs when it comes to redundancy decisions, there are top people available in the likes of Bulgaria for a lot less money. Pokerstars acquisition of Skybet increased its headcount meaning that they needed to reduce it.

Companies who outsource their IT departments invariably have poor customer service and major problems with transitioning from old to new systems which further impact on customer service and turnaround times. Yes, it might save some money, but in the long-term I think it undermines customer service, and what else is there to differentiate most of these companies these days other than the excellence of customer service? It's the key to standing out in a market with otherwise little variation in terms of product offering.

Edited by Rushen Spy

43 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Companies who outsource their IT departments invariably have poor customer service and major problems with transitioning from old to new systems which further impact on customer service and turnaround times. Yes, it might save some money, but in the long-term I think it undermines customer service, and what else is there to differentiate most of these companies these days other than the excellence of customer service? It's the key to standing out in a market with otherwise little variation in terms of product offering.

Yep, but this is not outsourcing "IT Departments", this is moving IT-based product development for online poker services from IoM to Bulgaria - customers should not perceive any change. Whether Stars Group actually see the development cost efficiencies they're hoping for is another matter, many companies which offshore tech development to lower wage economies find that the anticipated cost savings prove elusive (for a variety of reasons which would take me too long to explain here).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rushen Spy said:

But Stars don't need to stand out in the market. They ARE the market.  They have about 90% of it?

I see your point is perhaps banks moving back office and call centre stuff to somewhere like India but it isn't the case here.

The customers won't really see any difference.

11 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

But Stars don't need to stand out in the market. They ARE the market.  They have about 90% of it?

I see your point is perhaps banks moving back office and call centre stuff to somewhere like India but it isn't the case here.

The customers won't really see any difference.

Yeah, I agree; my comment wasn't really about PokerStars, it was just a general comment on financial services.

Apparently Microgaming are closing the Poker arm of their business...I read it on IomToday but I can't be arsed searching for it and poring a link.

And now 50 jobs gone in Malta, which sort of buggers up some of the stuff that was being spouted about it being the IOMs fault

10 minutes ago, trmpton said:

And now 50 jobs gone in Malta, which sort of buggers up some of the stuff that was being spouted about it being the IOMs fault

Maybe Skelly made them change their minds regarding the Manx redundancies. :whistling:

• Haha 1

How many people on the IOM are employed by Poker Stars?  I heard today that it was 80 redundancies on the IOM but man down pub source.

1 minute ago, JessTickle said:

How many people on the IOM are employed by Poker Stars?  I heard today that it was 80 redundancies on the IOM but man down pub source.

60 in the first wave apparently, from a good source, from a staff of around 450. 

7 minutes ago, Max Power said:

60 in the first wave apparently, from a good source, from a staff of around 450. 

are more expected?

5 minutes ago, JessTickle said:

are more expected?

So they say, but they were overstaffed after purchasing Skybet I'm told?

28 minutes ago, Max Power said:

450? You sure of that. 

All squeezed into Skandia towers? Unless they are situ elsewhere.