Jump to content

Trouble on the Buses


foxdaleliberationfront
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, skins said:

Maybe they could use some of the “dial a ride” minibuses parked up empty round the island to backfill routes

Still need exactly the same number of drivers though, so if a shortage of drivers is the problem, minibuses are just going to make it worse.  But then the minibuses were always a solution looking for a problem, or more correctly a buying decision that had to be justified by dreaming up schemes to use them.  Still no doubt they will claim it 'saves' a small amount of money if you ignore the enormous extra capital costs and  the fact they've cocked things up so much that even the running costs will be more. 

Still it looked god on paper, providing you didn't think about it too much.  Which is what matters.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

Don't quote me on this as it’s second hand but I heard the mini bus people are on a casual flat rate. The newer bus drivers are also on a flatter contract which doesn’t factor in weekend work. But the older bus drivers are on a highly lucrative contract which gives them high hourly rates at weekends and public holidays which they have refused to get bought out of. So apparently nobody is prepared to work Saturday night as they dint get extra, but because of the extra hourly rate they also won’t ask the older bus drivers to do it on cost grounds either. It’s like living in 1979. 

I don't need to quote you. It's completely accurate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

Don't quote me on this as it’s second hand but I heard the mini bus people are on a casual flat rate. The newer bus drivers are also on a flatter contract which doesn’t factor in weekend work. But the older bus drivers are on a highly lucrative contract which gives them high hourly rates at weekends and public holidays which they have refused to get bought out of. So apparently nobody is prepared to work Saturday night as they dint get extra, but because of the extra hourly rate they also won’t ask the older bus drivers to do it on cost grounds either. It’s like living in 1979. 

What a strange mentality and encapsulates the  problem with the  bus drivers.

You shouldn't be paid extra to work weekends. It's the job. Same as prison wardens, police and nursing?

The answer is to probably have a recruitment drive (no pun intended).  Bus driving isn't rocket science.  Which is why it shouldn't be paid silly sums of money.  No reason why you couldn't have a 'bank'of drivers like nursing/carers do for the hospital. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve seen an unusual/abnormally high number of ‘Driver Under Instruction’ buses lately. Are they trying to overcome these issues with a fresh tranche of ‘new contract’ drivers?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

What a strange mentality and encapsulates the  problem with the  bus drivers.

You shouldn't be paid extra to work weekends. It's the job. Same as prison wardens, police and nursing?

The answer is to probably have a recruitment drive (no pun intended).  Bus driving isn't rocket science.  Which is why it shouldn't be paid silly sums of money.  No reason why you couldn't have a 'bank'of drivers like nursing/carers do for the hospital. 

they have, but what are in effect the bank drivers won't work the weekends.  maybe a combination of better things to do with family and not wanting to help management circumvent their contracts with the old established drivers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Uhtred said:

I’ve seen an unusual/abnormally high number of ‘Driver Under Instruction’ buses lately. Are they trying to overcome these issues with a fresh tranche of ‘new contract’ drivers?

A friend has just passed as a driver . And yes it's zero hour contract at around £10. 50 a hour ..as little or many hours to total suit when you want 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...