Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
foxdaleliberationfront

Trouble on the Buses

Recommended Posts

Which is just as well, because after buying 80 minibuses at @ +£40k each, there's probably no savings whatsoever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll risk a contrary view.  It isn't a U turn. They are not putting the full sized buses back on to run empty again. They are using the ring and ride minibuses and keeping that system but saying that they will also incorporate these specific runs at these set times. So there is a timetabled service but it will also divert to pick people up at home. It seems like a compromise worth trying. Credit to them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They had a meeting with residents who moaned about the mini bus service not working and wanting regular bus services back on. How does a youngster there with no car get to/from work in Ramsey/Douglas etc. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

They had a meeting with residents who moaned about the mini bus service not working and wanting regular bus services back on. How does a youngster there with no car get to/from work in Ramsey/Douglas etc. ?

cycle in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, woolley said:

I'll risk a contrary view.  It isn't a U turn. They are not putting the full sized buses back on to run empty again. They are using the ring and ride minibuses and keeping that system but saying that they will also incorporate these specific runs at these set times. So there is a timetabled service but it will also divert to pick people up at home. It seems like a compromise worth trying. Credit to them.

In some ways it's worse than a U turn because they have ended up running the old timetable, but with the extra cost of providing the dial-a-ride type service.  According to the press release:

Quote

 

From Monday 4 November, minibuses will leave Jurby Bretney at 9.25am, 11.25am and 12.25pm, Jurby Threshold at 9.30am, 11.30am and 12.30pm and reach Ramsey at 10am, midday and 1pm. The service will leave Ramsey bus station for Jurby at 9am, 11am and midday. All passengers waiting at the stops at these times will be collected and pre-booking will not be necessary.

The services will continue to be flexible and passengers can be collected from their homes along the way by contacting the team on +44 1624 697440 or visiting www.bus.im/connect 

Standard fares will apply for the services, which will run Monday to Saturday, in addition to existing scheduled services arriving at the Jurby Threshold shelter at 6.55am, 8.15am, 9.02am, 2.52pm, 4.12pm, 4.27pm, 5.27pm, 6.22pm, 7.04pm, 9.02pm and 10.54pm Monday to Friday, and at 6.55am, 8.02am, 2.02pm, 5.27pm, 9.02pm and 10.54pm each Saturday. Sunday services will remain unchanged.

 

What they've done in effect is reinstate the lost services that filled the gaps in the timetable, but with the option to detour to pick up extra passengers, providing they get to Ramsey on time.  The only saving will be that of running a minibus rather than singledecker, which isn't that great[1] and of course there may be other problems (too many passengers, passengers with lots of shopping, older or disabled people who find getting into a minibus difficult).

 

[1]  Obviously if they hadn't bought all those minibuses there would have been very considerable savings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

They had a meeting with residents who moaned about the mini bus service not working and wanting regular bus services back on. How does a youngster there with no car get to/from work in Ramsey/Douglas etc. ?

Call me old fashioned but shouldn't they have done their research before they doled out a load of public money on the basis of someone's so-called masterplan....?

I'm not going to complain about a lack of joined-up thinking as that would have required some thinking to be done in the first place...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

common sense and thinking - two things that will instantly ban you from anything governmental

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'd need to know more about the operational costs to judge the comparison between the former service,  the current ring and ride and the proposed hybrid. I can't see the adaptation costing a lot more than what is being done now with the same vehicles and personnel. It's just laying down a timed availability if you haven't booked in advance. One other possibility did occur to me. Perhaps the ring and ride has been a total failure with very few bookings and this is a move that avoids loss of face. Just me being cynical of course.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, woolley said:

We'd need to know more about the operational costs to judge the comparison between the former service,  the current ring and ride and the proposed hybrid. I can't see the adaptation costing a lot more than what is being done now with the same vehicles and personnel. It's just laying down a timed availability if you haven't booked in advance. One other possibility did occur to me. Perhaps the ring and ride has been a total failure with very few bookings and this is a move that avoids loss of face. Just me being cynical of course.  

Unfortunately it's a cynicism born out of a government track record that is a litany of financial mismanagement....

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

 How does a youngster there with no car get to/from work in Ramsey/Douglas etc. ?

They buy a car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With todays propensity for car ownership, it is likely that those who can afford a car will have one, those who cannot afford a car, or whose hubby uses the car to get to work  leaving """"The Wife"""" and kids stuck in the Bretney will need some alternative arrangment to get the Hell outta Jurby for a few hours!!!

If they are stuck in Jurby all day what are they going to do? Teach the kids to strip a washing machine in their front garden!@!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wooley, if you were to crunch the numbers, which would be better, to run a limited service to and from Jurby to Ramsey, with single deckers or to purchase lots of mini busses and run them back and forth all day???

A minimal service would be Jurby to Ramsey 10 am. a Ramsey to Jurby 4pm., that would get wives and kids out and back again during the working day. Perhaps a 6pm service to get workers without cars home again????

A single decker on that service would probably use less fuel and accrue less wages than all the mini buses buzzing back and forth???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...