Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
foxdaleliberationfront

Trouble on the Buses

9 hours ago, P.K. said:

Call me old fashioned but shouldn't they have done their research before they doled out a load of public money on the basis of someone's so-called masterplan....?

I'm not going to complain about a lack of joined-up thinking as that would have required some thinking to be done in the first place...

That is so selfish of you PK. How can Mercedes make profit if little old Isle of Man does not purchase lots of their buses???

Edited by Kopek
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

Wooley, if you were to crunch the numbers, which would be better, to run a limited service to and from Jurby to Ramsey, with single deckers or to purchase lots of mini busses and run them back and forth all day???

A minimal service would be Jurby to Ramsey 10 am. a Ramsey to Jurby 4pm., that would get wives and kids out and back again during the working day. Perhaps a 6pm service to get workers without cars home again????

A single decker on that service would probably use less fuel and accrue less wages than all the mini buses buzzing back and forth???

Ah, well. We are where we are.

In the past I've wondered, and have probably mentioned it on here before, if the Jurby conundrum could be addressed by diverting a couple of the hourly buses that run between Kirk Michael and Ramsey, from Ballaugh via The Cronk, Jurby and Sandygate to Sulby, then on to Ramsey, and the same in the opposite direction. I know it would be a bit of a delay to those few journeys affected for passengers traveling from Peel etc. through to Ramsey, but not so much as the seemingly accepted bizarre notion of buses routed from the south to Nobles Hospital via Central Douglas, Promenades, Onchan, Birch Hill and Johnny Watterson's and inconveniencing infinitely fewer people. Obviously Wildlife Park passengers would have to avoid those particular services.

It would even give the poor sods in Jurby and environs a direct bus to Peel, the Hospital and Douglas!

Edited by woolley
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, woolley said:

In the past I've wondered, and have probably mentioned it on here before, if the Jurby conundrum could be addressed by diverting a couple of the hourly buses that run between Kirk Michael and Ramsey, from Ballaugh via The Cronk, Jurby and Sandygate to Sulby, then on to Ramsey, and the same in the opposite direction. I know it would be a bit of a delay to those few journeys affected for passengers traveling from Peel etc. through to Ramsey, but not so much as the seemingly accepted bizarre notion of buses routed from the south to Nobles Hospital via Central Douglas, Promenades, Onchan, Birch Hill and Johnny Watterson's and inconveniencing infinitely fewer people. Obviously Wildlife Park passengers would have to avoid those particular services.

It would even give the poor sods in Jurby and environs a direct bus to Peel, the Hospital and Douglas!

They've already been doing that for year's certainly during the evening.

9 hours ago, woolley said:

I also wonder whether one every couple hours of 1/4 hourly buses between the South and Douglas could divert at Ballasalla via Foxdale and St. John's and the hospital. Maybe not ideal for commuters but during the day and evening  this would enable a change at St.Johns for Peel and the North.

• Like 2

Maybe if they stopped sending near empty buses to places like Willaston - Pulrose and Onchan every 20/30 minutes they might have money left for other services

1 hour ago, Declan said:

I also wonder whether one every couple hours of 1/4 hourly buses between the South and Douglas could divert at Ballasalla via Foxdale and St. John's and the hospital. Maybe not ideal for commuters but during the day and evening  this would enable a change at St.Johns for Peel and the North.

Me too. It would also mean that Foxdale area would not be a public transport desert after 5.30pm. 

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

Maybe if they stopped sending near empty buses to places like Willaston - Pulrose and Onchan every 20/30 minutes they might have money left for other services

Voter bases.....

35 minutes ago, woolley said:

Me too. It would also mean that Foxdale area would not be a public transport desert after 5.30pm. 

who wants to risk going to foxdale after 5.30pm ?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

To be fair the Onchan buses connect the South/Airport/NSC/Town Centre/Prom and Douglas with the North. 

22 minutes ago, WTF said:

who wants to risk going to foxdale after 5.30pm ?

Foxdale liberation leader

thH072KKZN.jpg

21 minutes ago, Declan said:

To be fair the Onchan buses connect the South/Airport/NSC/Town Centre/Prom and Douglas with the North. 

Point being quite a few buses run nearly the same routes

There does seem to be overkill in some places and very little in others. As with Declan's suggestion re diverting at Ballasalla to St Johns and hospital. Why not? Is it really so important to run every 15/20 minutes through the sprawling metropolis around Blackboards, Santon and Richmond Hill? Could a few of those not be spared to open up alternative journeys from the south and at the same time, serve other people who have next to nothing?

• Like 1

I was behind a bus yesterday, it had plumes of black smoke coming from the exhaust - that's shocking! 

16 minutes ago, 2bees said:

I was behind a bus yesterday, it had plumes of black smoke coming from the exhaust - that's shocking! 

Yes. Presumably one of our environmentally friendly Mercedes Citaro models.

28 minutes ago, 2bees said:

It's fantastic if you get stuck behind one whilst cycling...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1