Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Mongoose-Man

Shoprite to dump Waitrose and Iceland for Sainsbury's?

1 hour ago, MrPB said:

What a great endorsement. It’s like saying that Boris Johnson - he’s never actually punched me in the face so I suppose he’s ok! 

.but who could blame him???

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Self praise is no praise at all...

Okay: everybody says I'm a great cook and I don't disagree.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rushen Spy said:

Their No Bull range was definitely bad. It was not my cooking or preparation; I am a very good cook.

Perhaps the storage and transport conditions?

Just now, woolley said:

Perhaps the storage and transport conditions?

Well !!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

On 10/1/2019 at 10:32 PM, Rushen Spy said:

Okay: everybody says I'm a great cook and I don't disagree.

Not everybody

Not sure I understand the rationale although, obviously, one way or another whether by volume or margin, they must think they can improve the bottom line. No reason to change otherwise.

The Waitrose brand still has some cachet whilst Iceland draws the bargain basement shoppers, so they can argue there is something for everyone, and definitely items with a known national profile that cannot be obtained elsewhere on the Island. I don't see the same being true of Sainsbury. It was once the posh grocer, but not anymore. It is now viewed in the same bracket as Tesco and Asda, each having own brand items without a particular differentiation or attraction.

In a nutshell, I can see why folk go to Shoprite to buy Iceland or Waitrose, but why would you go to Shoprite to buy Sainsbury when you can go to Tesco and buy Tesco? The Islandwide network will always help, I suppose, and perhaps there are still enough shoppers who go simply because it's "Manx to the Max" no matter what they sell. They must be a dying breed though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woolley said:

It is now viewed in the same bracket as Tesco and Asda, each having own brand items without a particular differentiation or attraction.

To the extent that they probably all use the same food processing and manufacturers for their own brands. 

I can't tell the difference between a Tesco's own brand custard cream biscuit and Asda's.

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

To the extent that they probably all use the same food processing and manufacturers for their own brands. 

I can't tell the difference between a Tesco's own brand custard cream biscuit and Asda's.

look at the wrapping...

• Haha 2

Can’t say I’ve ever shopped at Shoprite since about 1986 to miss them dumping this. It was all pretty new then. But the sad stores and depressing staff provide a unique shopping experience I’d have thought most people would have got bored with by now. I mean Tescos is depressing but why shop at a tired supermarket that’s like something Michael Caine shopped at in the Ipcress Files in 1965? The most telling advert is when they get a big crease in their washed out grey Shoprite fleece which makes it read just ..... Sh/ite when they’re beeping through your stuff. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Can’t say I’ve ever shopped at Shoprite since about 1986

I don't believe you