Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Max Power

Thomas Cook Collapse

Recommended Posts

Just now, quilp said:

And they still took your hard-earned knowing the inevitable. Good luck with it doc... 

Turns out they were £3B in the red, knew there was no way out and still took bookings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Well, it's all out there on the internet. It's not as if companies haven't gone bust before.

What exactly is on the internet?

OFT IOM has no help except maybe contact your credit card co.

Credit card co, very difficult to get any sense out of.pending

Most agencies are unaware of what the UK gov has said about TCs liquidation.

IOM gov. no comment. Newspaper apparently trying to get info.

TC website. contact ATOL...n/a in IOM

Freedom Travel..no communication..........

 

Seems to be just a waiting game while your cash gets more and more hidden or difficult get back. So bloody frustrating especially when the company knew about the potential probs and the bosses still get bonuses etc and ..........oh what's the use might just as well write the cash off and accept that customers of most big companies will just be shit on from a great height.......customer service?? hmmmm

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, doc.fixit said:

What exactly is on the internet?

OFT IOM has no help except maybe contact your credit card co.

Credit card co, very difficult to get any sense out of.pending

Most agencies are unaware of what the UK gov has said about TCs liquidation.

IOM gov. no comment. Newspaper apparently trying to get info.

TC website. contact ATOL...n/a in IOM

Freedom Travel..no communication..........

 

Seems to be just a waiting game while your cash gets more and more hidden or difficult get back. So bloody frustrating especially when the company knew about the potential probs and the bosses still get bonuses etc and ..........oh what's the use might just as well write the cash off and accept that customers of most big companies will just be shit on from a great height.......customer service?? hmmmm

 

@doc.fixit this may help 

https://www.abta.com/freedom-travel-group-limited

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

What exactly is on the internet?

OFT IOM has no help except maybe contact your credit card co.

Credit card co, very difficult to get any sense out of.pending

Most agencies are unaware of what the UK gov has said about TCs liquidation.

IOM gov. no comment. Newspaper apparently trying to get info.

TC website. contact ATOL...n/a in IOM

Freedom Travel..no communication..........

 

Seems to be just a waiting game while your cash gets more and more hidden or difficult get back. So bloody frustrating especially when the company knew about the potential probs and the bosses still get bonuses etc and ..........oh what's the use might just as well write the cash off and accept that customers of most big companies will just be shit on from a great height.......customer service?? hmmmm

 

  1. Don't panic
  2. OFT IOM - forget them
  3. Credit card legislation is simple, if all else fails you get a refund from your CC.
  4. TC liquidation info is all online.
  5. IOM gov. - see OFT IOM. 
  6. ATOL / ABTA - easy to get in contact with.

First - look at your booking. Do you see any reference to ATOL, maybe an ATOL sheet? If so you have ATOL cover, that takes up to two months to get a full refund (they will be overloaded).

Bottom line - you used a credit card, so you will be covered.

Don't Panic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right so far, ABTA are phoning back because the operator was unaware of the special case of NO ATOL for IOM based flights..............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:
  1. Don't panic
  2. OFT IOM - forget them
  3. Credit card legislation is simple, if all else fails you get a refund from your CC.
  4. TC liquidation info is all online.
  5. IOM gov. - see OFT IOM. 
  6. ATOL / ABTA - easy to get in contact with.

First - look at your booking. Do you see any reference to ATOL, maybe an ATOL sheet? If so you have ATOL cover, that takes up to two months to get a full refund (they will be overloaded).

Bottom line - you used a credit card, so you will be covered.

Don't Panic!

Cheers.

There is no ATOL cover if the flight is from IOM..p37 of Freedom Travel brochure. Confirmed by ABTA

Doug Ross at ABTA very helpful.......abta.com-thomas cook...........get claims form...follow directions.............forward to credit card company!

Right, I'm far from panicked, I'm quite prepared to just write the cash off and put it down to experience.

I'm just pissed off with most of the agencies concerned and with the attitude of the businesses involved. As always, take your money and fcku you off. ( Doesn't apply to the workers)

I am very grateful for all the fine people on the forums and we'll see how it goes.

Thanks folk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Cheers.

There is no ATOL cover if the flight is from IOM..p37 of Freedom Travel brochure. Confirmed by ABTA

Doug Ross at ABTA very helpful.......abta.com-thomas cook...........get claims form...follow directions.............forward to credit card company!

Right, I'm far from panicked, I'm quite prepared to just write the cash off and put it down to experience.

I'm just pissed off with most of the agencies concerned and with the attitude of the businesses involved. As always, take your money and fcku you off. ( Doesn't apply to the workers)

I am very grateful for all the fine people on the forums and we'll see how it goes.

Thanks folk.

This also highlights one of the downsides of living in a crown dependency. Anyway, you'll get the money back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

update

claims to credit card  co sent (M and S straightforward...........Lloyds not so good)

message from Freedom...all Saturday direct flights cancelled.........nice lady but no direction how to get cash back

waiting game.........shaky but grateful to MF folks............had a really crap few months with illness, botched flights and now this, still, chin up I'm still goin' an grumbling!

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I paid Freedom a couple of weeks ago for Lapland trip in December, by debit card. They didn’t acknowledge receipt.

That link states “you should have an ATOL certificate...” Nope. No receipt. No certificate. Fuck you Santa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr. Sausages said:

I paid Freedom a couple of weeks ago for Lapland trip in December, by debit card. They didn’t acknowledge receipt.

That link states “you should have an ATOL certificate...” Nope. No receipt. No certificate. Fuck you Santa.

The IOM Freedom Travel is still operating, it's not part of TC.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2019 at 8:37 PM, Mr. Sausages said:

I paid Freedom a couple of weeks ago for Lapland trip in December, by debit card. They didn’t acknowledge receipt.

That link states “you should have an ATOL certificate...” Nope. No receipt. No certificate. Fuck you Santa.

You may stil be covered even if you paid via Debit card. Again not sure if IOM branches of these banks will do the same .

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/09/thomas-cook-seeking-p200m-extra-funding-/

 

  • For a flight or booking costing less than £100, or if you paid by debit card, you might be able to claim money back from your card provider through the chargeback scheme instead.

    Unlike Section 75, the chargeback scheme isn't a legal requirement, it's just a customer service promise. But we're already seeing successful claims from people using it to claim for Thomas Cook flights, and crucially there doesn't need to be the direct link between the product paid for and the debt as with Section 75. See our Chargeback guide for full details.

Here's one early success story:

I had no ATOL protection on flights I’d booked, no insurance and paid by debit card.

I went to Barclays just to ask for help and they have already refunded the full amount of money to my account. Absolutely stellar customer service too. Very happy to see my money again and will definitely be following MSE’s tips from now on.

Edited by mad_manx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2019 at 4:43 PM, Freggyragh said:

Turns out they were £3B in the red, knew there was no way out and still took bookings. 

How could they know there was no way out if they were still in negotiations for funds until the final hours before collapse?

This is not to say it was anything other than a financial pit for anyone wanting to pour in more money, but they were certainly trying to secure a rescue right down to the wire. In those circumstances of course they would continue to trade and take bookings.

Edited by woolley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...