Jump to content

Bishopscourt up for sale..


Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Yes. We effectively have one rag a week. My UK parish paper published 6 days a week and was several times thicker with crime and associated matters.

You’ll struggle to find anywhere that you have as little risk of being a victim of crime.

we can look forward to police numbers dropping 1/10 of what they're now......no need for the legal bods or the judiciary and they can shut the hilton because it's not needed........

no town in the uk with a similar population employs so many.........

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree with you there and a lot of simmering anger that the IOM has the blinkers on and can’t see what it’s doing to it’s own internal economy by taking the approach its taking. Still you can’t expla

Posted Images

1 hour ago, woody2 said:

we can look forward to police numbers dropping 1/10 of what they're now......no need for the legal bods or the judiciary and they can shut the hilton because it's not needed........

no town in the uk with a similar population employs so many.........

The reason it’s as big a force as it is, is because of this perpetuation of us being a ‘nation’. The Isle of Wight manages with one Superintendent and 150 officers for a population of 140,000, but is part of Hampshire. Because we stand alone, we need all the components of a county force. If the balloon goes up, we are on our own.

I personally think the top end is too top heavy here , and even said so when it might have benefited me promotion wise. A Chief, three Supts, four Chief inspectors is just not necessary. A Chief, a Supt as a deputy, and 3 Chief inspectors would be more realistic. And save about £200k. 

Just my opinion. It might have all changed since my day!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Derek Flint said:

Because we stand alone, we need all the components of a county force. If the balloon goes up, we are on our own.

What balloon is this, Derek? Set out your scenario... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, quilp said:

What balloon is this, Derek? Set out your scenario... 

Pretty much anything. An active shooter a la Derrick Bird for a start. There is no “surge” here as in Lancs and North Yorks steaming up to help, and CNC piling out of the gates of Sellafield. Mutual Aid for anything is tricky, as the UK forces have no jurisdiction here and swearing in has to be organised. Anything remotely spontaneous, where you have to step off the plane and hit the ground running is difficult. So armed incidents, searches, and any civil unrest if it were to happen, has to be staffed by getting people back in on days off/ out of bed. 

All the other functionality takes up staff in droves too. Scientific Support, Training, Family Protection, Intelligence - around a dozen officers just there. And don’t forget we are a major financial centre, so pro rata that is another big commitment. 

The moat, and our stand alone status does bring with it a need for more numbers. I had always wondered what Our health service would look like if we asked say, Merseyside Trust to run it as a satellite. It would be similarly interesting to do the same exercise with police and one of the NW forces.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Pretty much anything. An active shooter a la Derrick Bird for a start. There is no “surge” here as in Lancs and North Yorks steaming up to help, and CNC piling out of the gates of Sellafield. Mutual Aid for anything is tricky, as the UK forces have no jurisdiction here and swearing in has to be organised. Anything remotely spontaneous, where you have to step off the plane and hit the ground running is difficult. So armed incidents, searches, and any civil unrest if it were to happen, has to be staffed by getting people back in on days off/ out of bed. 

All the other functionality takes up staff in droves too. Scientific Support, Training, Family Protection, Intelligence - around a dozen officers just there. And don’t forget we are a major financial centre, so pro rata that is another big commitment. 

The moat, and our stand alone status does bring with it a need for more numbers. I had always wondered what Our health service would look like if we asked say, Merseyside Trust to run it as a satellite. It would be similarly interesting to do the same exercise with police and one of the NW forces.

I have to say that I have always thought along similar lines. I think that as technology and costs of providing a service increase, things which were once quite sustainable have now become a millstone and difficult to manage within our population size.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

 and any civil unrest if it were to happen, has to be staffed by getting people back in on days off/ out of bed. 

 

So you're saying that if people could ever be bothered enough to actually revolt then the police would struggle to cope?

Pitchforks at the ready!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

So you're saying that if people could ever be bothered enough to actually revolt then the police would struggle to cope?

Pitchforks at the ready!!

teapot with his fishing rod, lager and chicken at the ready........

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Wouldn't happen here unless the nation were deprived of lager

Or mobile phones, nail jobs and Primark's best...

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

So you're saying that if people could ever be bothered enough to actually revolt then the police would struggle to cope?

Pitchforks at the ready!!

No. I said there was a good reason for having what on the face of it, looks like a lot of cops for the size of the place.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...