Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Manx Radio interview is classic Howard Quayle in managing to make even giving out money to the needy look bad.  It's also noticeable just how slow they have been about this 'emergency' - the flood

To be fair though, what's the point in voting? However the vote, whoever wins, the government is back the next day.  There was a large turnover of mhks at the last election and people were saying

It's been said 1000 times, not least on these boards. Basic maintenance and upkeep across the board on this Island long ago went out the window in favour of Fancy Dan job justification and ego boostin

Posted Images

  • 2 weeks later...

The residents of Laxey really need to get organised if this mess is to be sorted out. If they wait for the DOI, nothing will happen and they'll be flooded again. This could be the way forward for Manx politics; well organised pressure groups and their local authorities, forcing Government's hand on issues that need urgently addressing. Government is in a state of powerless paralysis; completely unable to make decisions or act on them because of the dead hand of unaccountable chief executives with their armies of managers; and local business interests blocking Government's every move. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

17 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

The residents of Laxey really need to get organised if this mess is to be sorted out. If they wait for the DOI, nothing will happen and they'll be flooded again. This could be the way forward for Manx politics; well organised pressure groups and their local authorities, forcing Government's hand on issues that need urgently addressing. Government is in a state of powerless paralysis; completely unable to make decisions or act on them because of the dead hand of unaccountable chief executives with their armies of managers; and local business interests blocking Government's every move. 

 

Tonights weather forecast is for lots of standing water and the risk of flash flooding. Good luck Laxey, it could be a long night.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck to everyone who lives down there. This is a good day to prepare. Have a group of volunteers on standby tonight and through the night. If I were them I'd even block roads off for a few hours with sandbags if necessary when the rain comes. Do it - and make the authorities react. Then things may start to change. Talking will get you nowhere with the DOI or Government. Get out there and take control yourselves.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Good luck to everyone who lives down there. This is a good day to prepare. Have a group of volunteers on standby tonight and through the night. If I were them I'd even block roads off for a few hours with sandbags if necessary when the rain comes. Do it - and make the authorities react. Then things may start to change. Talking will get you nowhere with the DOI or Government. Get out there and take control yourselves.

I'm a bit unsure of this, the residents were stating that at the last downpour there were no sandbags or help present? It seems that the Civil Defence were there, along with the DoI before the crisis and reacted accordingly. The Civil Defence are volunteers and it's a bit egregious not to give them credit for actions taken. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I'm a bit unsure of this, the residents were stating that at the last downpour there were no sandbags or help present? It seems that the Civil Defence were there, along with the DoI before the crisis and reacted accordingly. The Civil Defence are volunteers and it's a bit egregious not to give them credit for actions taken. 

There were sandbags there; it was just that the DOI used them all to protect their own working area and left none for the residents :lol:

The Civil Defence, to their credit, got on top of things when they intervened, though IIRC, there were still affected properties that needed to be pumped out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...