Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

Three Legs on North Barrule

45 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Tourists dont travel to Westbury to look at the green hill

Even more so to Cerne Abbas...!

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, La_Dolce_Vita said:

I agree with Slinkydevil.  There is a peculiar thing on this Island where almost any form of public art is accepted as a good thing.  

I do not see how this is an improvement at all.  Yes, it is just a hill with grass and I think that it looks beautiful just the way it is.  I doubt many would say that the scenery is ugly. 

I would say the scenery is ugly. Hills that were once beautiful and vibrant forests are now filled with boring green grass.

8 hours ago, Declan said:

I don't hate the Isle of Man - it's mostly towns and villages. It's people and culture that make a place not grass. And I don't mind the coast, it's countryside - fields and stuff that are basically a waste. 

And Rushen Spy seems like the sort of bore that goes walking up hills for fun. 

Actually, I am not. I find hills of grass utterly boring and the scenery not worth the walk.

2 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

Actually, I am not. I find hills of grass utterly boring and the scenery not worth the walk.

With your centuries of Manx ancestors I am sure you can guess what I want to tell you....  

There is a boat in the morning.:thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

With your centuries of Manx ancestors I am sure you can guess what I want to tell you....  

There is a boat in the morning.:thumbsup:

No, but my psychic powers tell me you're going to make a lame joke.

Remember all the fuss when the 3 legs art work was put outside the airport? If it was moved now there would be an outcry.

Think this will become one of those landmarks in years to come...if painted so people can see it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WKRP said:

Remember all the fuss when the 3 legs art work was put outside the airport.

The fuss was generated primarily by Betty Hanson MHK who was (a) an idiot and (b) pissed off by being upstaged by that superb sculpture, as she ceaselessly told everyone that she was the brains behind Millennium Year. 

Having said that, I don’t think the artistic genius of Bryan Kneale is being replicated on North Barrule.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

The fuss was generated primarily by Betty Hanson MHK who was (a) an idiot and (b) pissed off by being upstaged by that superb sculpture, as she ceaselessly told everyone that she was the brains behind Millennium Year. 

Having said that, I don’t think the artistic genius of Bryan Kneale is being replicated on North Barrule.

That airport scrap heap is an insult to Manx people. It should have not been erected.

14 hours ago, WKRP said:

Remember all the fuss when the 3 legs art work was put outside the airport? If it was moved now there would be an outcry.

Think this will become one of those landmarks in years to come...if painted so people can see it.

Oh come on . . .

37 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

That airport scrap heap is an insult to Manx people. It should have not been erected.

Why's that dilli..? 

• Like 1

The three legs should not be kneeling.

lt looks half finished

It is ugly

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That's some sort of ridiculous predisposition you have about kneeling to the Queen or whatever.

I like your spirit, but reality can be a bit of a bugger. If you are going to take that line (one that was very prevalent in the 1970s) then you may as well face the truth in that the Isle of Man has done little more than kneel (plus beg and bow) to the imperial government for a few hundred years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

That's some sort of ridiculous predisposition you have about kneeling to the Queen or whatever.

I like your spirit, but reality can be a bit of a bugger. If you are going to take that line (one that was very prevalent in the 1970s) then you may as well face the truth in that the Isle of Man has done little more than kneel (plus beg and bow) to the imperial government for a few hundred years.

I thought it was kneeling in order to support it's weight?

I'm ambivalent towards it as I don't view it as aesthetically pleasing but as it's not particularly eye-catching (to me) then it's sort-of in the background and that's where it stays.

9 hours ago, Uhtred said:

The fuss was generated primarily by Betty Hanson MHK who was (a) an idiot.

I was going to reply that there are still idiots that don’t like that sculpture. But I see dilli’s made that point for me.