Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
slinkydevil

Three Legs on North Barrule

21 minutes ago, P.K. said:

So do I think a pile of stones on a hillside arranged a certain way is art?

Or a Pile of Bricks. Art or not? Apparently even today it is said we still can't decide. Well I certainly can. 

We marvel at ballet or a magnificent painting up on a ceiling because they are stretching the limits of human ability. Rearranging a load of stones on a hillside into something vaguely representing the Three Legs is pushing that definition.

If only they had been arranged into something else. Whatever, but as suggested previously, say, a big cock and balls, that could be seen from space, let alone the mountain road.

...........Don't like it? Go and re-arrange them. 

That would be art.

Edited by gettafa

3 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Or a Pile of Bricks. Art or not? Apparently even today it is said we still can't decide. Well I certainly can. 

We marvel at ballet or a magnificent painting up on a ceiling because they are stretching the limits of human ability. Rearranging a load of stones on a hillside into something vaguely representing the Three Legs is pushing that definition.

If only they had been arranged into something else. Whatever, but as suggested previously, say, a big cock and balls, that could be seen from space, let alone the mountain road.

...........Don't like it? Go and re-arrange them. 

That would be art.

I think the chap who fashioned the three legs on N Burrule needs to get out more....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

There are lots of answers. My personal preference is that it has to generate an "emotional" reaction for want of a better word. Which sort-of ties together the likes of Michelangelo's David and, say, Maria Callas singing La Casta Diva. How I wish I could have experienced one of her operas in Arena di Verona for choice. It must have been a magical experience. Born far too late unfortunately. Or she was born far too early....

So do I think a pile of stones on a hillside arranged a certain way is art?

No.

I tend to agree that an "emotional" reaction is one marker of art. But is it the only? Can't art generate an intellectual reaction as well or even instead of an emotional one? In any case the stones on the hillside seem to have generated an emotional reaction from Slinky Devil.

I also think there's a danger being restrictive when defining art. Michelangelo and Maria Callas were craftsman at the top of their game in the instances you describe. But sculpture and singing don't only become art when accomplished by virtuosos. When Michelanglo was perfecting his craft - he was still creating art.

I think we'd probably agree that a raw folk singer is performing art just as much as Callas was. Even if we dispute the quality. It's easy to be dismissive of pop, or folk art in the face of classical high watermarks, but they fulfill functions that classical art doesn't - reflecting the traditions of the area, expressing the experience of the moment. Additionally, can we say that an amateur singer is not a singer, or a part-time painter isn't a painter. Does it only become art if it's of a professional standard? I tend to think folk art or outsider art is still art, even when it's badly executed.

However, in the case of the three legs on the hill I'm not sure it is. It's not something the gentleman has designed himself and it doesn't seem to be part of an ongoing artistic career or hobby. Could it just be decoration?

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

I think the chap who fashioned the three legs on N Burrule needs to get out more....

Aye and put the stones back from whence they came!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Declan said:

I tend to agree that an "emotional" reaction is one marker of art. But is it the only? Can't art generate an intellectual reaction as well or even instead of an emotional one? In any case the stones on the hillside seem to have generated an emotional reaction from Slinky Devil.

There are lots of facets to some works to make you think. The Ambassadors by Holbein is a good example. There is just so much going on. Some see it as a disagreement between the secular and religion. Fair enough. Others don't see that at all. But why the skull and how did he paint it? With a mirror and very long brushes perhaps. Just showing off or does it have real meaning? Go figure.

Incidentally a major indicator of decent art is does it stand the test of time...?

Well that would be one indicator. I tend to think art should reflect its own time, and hope there's something universal that would appeal to future ages. But really how can anyone know what the future will be like, what they will look for in art.

Oh god. What is it with this Island?  This is along the same sort of lines as public art in my opinion.
Could it not go in Union Mills where they were born, as there is no public art and are no statues there

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-isle-of-man-50350002?__twitter_impression=true

8 minutes ago, La_Dolce_Vita said:

Oh god. What is it with this Island?  This is along the same sort of lines as public art in my opinion.
Could it not go in Union Mills where they were born, as there is no public art and are no statues there

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-isle-of-man-50350002?__twitter_impression=true

They were Not born in Union Mills. Mum and Dad bought the shop / post office there and Andy worked in it.

The Bee Gees statue is one of the most dopey ideas yet. What a total waste of money.

There should be statue to dopey ideas or an annual award or something.

• Sad 1

I wonder how the artists will deal with the, ahem, stuffed trousers department.

1 minute ago, quilp said:

Strange thing to be wondering about... 

Not really. It's something the artist will have to address if the stupid idea goes ahead.

Or perhaps it will be like the giant headed Laxey miner statue.

Statues are so pointless and weird. What are they even for?

19 minutes ago, pongo said:

I wonder how the artists will deal with the, ahem, stuffed trousers department.

it will hold the mayoress's chain.......

Edited by woody2
  • Haha 1