Three Legs on North Barrule

@Declan there can be much beauty in death and decay, think autumn leaves, toadstools on a rotting tree, a skull. 

@La_Dolce_Vita cairns aren’t just official. Neither chalk hill carvings. They have many different, especially Celtic and Norse origins in North & West Europe, they can be communal or individual. They represent human endeavour. I’m not sure how the achievement of the guy who built the three legs is able to be differentiated.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree with Slinkydevil.  There is a peculiar thing on this Island where almost any form of public art is accepted as a good thing.   I do not see how this is an improvement at all.  Yes, it is

If rearranging the stones into an enormous three legs doesn't need planning, presumably rearranging them into an enormous penis wouldn't either.  And much more in the spirit of hillside land art.

I'd prefer to see this on Douglas Head hillside facing Tynwald.  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Nature is regularly ugly. A decaying corpse, manure, a tree rotting from the inside, leaf mulch, a great big hill with nothing on it but grass. 

Every time public art is proposed here it is opposed by neer-do-wells. But those people aren't protesting about Milner's Tower or the Tower of Refuge or the Tholtan above Fort Anne. 

Apologies, I was specifically referring to the countryside when I said nature.  But leaf mulch?  I wouldn't say it was ugly.  And you think a grassy hill is ugly? 

But those buildings have been around for a long time and have been accepted as part of the culture and history of the Island.  Though not to say that someone wouldn't have a point in wanting rid of them if they preferred to have a naturally beautiful landscape. 

Though Milner's Tower, as far as I am aware, was built using money from the community so presumably had a fair bit of community support (though accepting that, I think, the community fundraising didn't raise as much as expected).

What is this tholtan on Fort Anne? It's probably awful and completely unnecessary but I am curious.

Other unnecessary things would be that wizard sculpture at Ballaglass or those terrible Millennium stones in each parish.  The worst might be that stupid sword in that dog-walking area by Noble's Hospital.  That thing is grim. 

For some reason, a lot of people think public art is something we should have.  I don't know why.  In modern society where we are bombard by images and designs (especially with a lot of meaning and value behind them) it would be nice if people just left the countryside alone.

Maybe something wonderful could be conceived that looks fantastic.  I wouldn't rule it out but when people care little for mediocre stuff being set up in the countryside then I think that shows public lack of taste and general apathy.

15 minutes ago, John Wright said:

@La_Dolce_Vita cairns aren’t just official. Neither chalk hill carvings. They have many different, especially Celtic and Norse origins in North & West Europe, they can be communal or individual. They represent human endeavour. I’m not sure how the achievement of the guy who built the three legs is able to be differentiated.

You would know that I know that old cairns exist for a few reasons.  My presumption with the mention of those specific cairns is that they were the work of government to show a clearer path.  If not, I have less of a problem with them but again can still see the point of those who would want nothing on the land for aesthetic reasons.

I am able to differentiate the achievement from the result, however, and the result is of principal importance because that is what the community is left with for a long time. 

1 hour ago, Declan said:

I don't hate the Isle of Man - it's mostly towns and villages. It's people and culture that make a place not grass. And I don't mind the coast, it's countryside - fields and stuff that are basically a waste. 

No, I don't agree.  I think this is just how you have found value living in the place.  If it was just towns and villages I'd have left a long time ago.  What makes the Island for me is its hills, glen, and beaches. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, La_Dolce_Vita said:

You would know that I know that old cairns exist for a few reasons.  My presumption with the mention of those specific cairns is that they were the work of government to show a clearer path.  If not, I have less of a problem with them but again can still see the point of those who would want nothing on the land for aesthetic reasons.

I am able to differentiate the achievement from the result, however, and the result is of principal importance because that is what the community is left with for a long time. 

It’s really difficult to differentiate between art and folk art. Even functional cairns can be art. 

I’m not sure where the line is between a stone burial chamber, several thousand years old, a cairn that’s several hundred years old, a living thing that people add or take away stones, and an Andy Goldsworthy stone sculpture.

Time will tell

9 hours ago, La_Dolce_Vita said:

I agree with Slinkydevil.  There is a peculiar thing on this Island where almost any form of public art is accepted as a good thing.  

I do not see how this is an improvement at all.  Yes, it is just a hill with grass and I think that it looks beautiful just the way it is.  I doubt many would say that the scenery is ugly. 

I would say the scenery is ugly. Hills that were once beautiful and vibrant forests are now filled with boring green grass.

8 hours ago, Declan said:

I don't hate the Isle of Man - it's mostly towns and villages. It's people and culture that make a place not grass. And I don't mind the coast, it's countryside - fields and stuff that are basically a waste. 

And Rushen Spy seems like the sort of bore that goes walking up hills for fun. 

Actually, I am not. I find hills of grass utterly boring and the scenery not worth the walk.

4 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

With your centuries of Manx ancestors I am sure you can guess what I want to tell you....  

There is a boat in the morning.:thumbsup:

No, but my psychic powers tell me you're going to make a lame joke.

Remember all the fuss when the 3 legs art work was put outside the airport? If it was moved now there would be an outcry.

Think this will become one of those landmarks in years to come...if painted so people can see it.

• Like 1