Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Amadeus

New Street Lights

if your going to fuck the prom up you might as well do it properly.

4 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

They're ugly, soulless, and give people like me migraines. I will certainly not be visiting Douglas Promenade any time after sunset as long as these monstrosities remain there.

It's not the lighting giving you migraines in Douglas..... :lol:

• Haha 1

Funny that they hadn't realised the old lights were also vent stacks. Bit of a panic, I believe not yet fully resolved, behind the scenes with that one. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, english zloty said:

Funny that they hadn't realised the old lights were also vent stacks. Bit of a panic, I believe not yet fully resolved, behind the scenes with that one. 

different sets of lights those. The ones on the prom are being upgraded, but the joint lights / vents are further back on the walkway.

Edit to add that the photos are of Queens prom and if memory serves there are no tanks with vents that far over. ( where the pics are of )

Edited by dilligaf

48 minutes ago, woolley said:

They aren't putting the festoons of decorative lighting back after the refurbishment, so that in itself will be a change from the past. It will look less like a seaside promenade and more like a road in Oswaldtwistle.

And what's wrong with Oswaldtwistle, may I ask? :whistling:

38 minutes ago, prism10 said:

LED is the way to go. It saves money in the long run.

I wonder if people complained when gas lighting got replaced by electric lighting?

Of course I did.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

They're ugly, soulless, and give people like me migraines. I will certainly not be visiting Douglas Promenade any time after sunset as long as these monstrosities remain there.

32 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

I don't like the old / current ones either though. I think most people's eyes don't notice the very quick flashing of the lights and see it as one continuous light but my eyes can see the light pulsating and it causes a migraine.

We'll see if we can arrange a fecking power cut outage if you let us know when you want to go.

7 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

And what's wrong with Oswaldtwistle, may I ask? :whistling:

A shit promenade for starters.

• Haha 2

Well, word on the street is that the main sponsor of the change to bright white "night becomes day" lighting is the one and only (drum roll, please)....yes, Mr L Skelly. Its obvious. By Christ Fella, with them lights we can entice F1 style night time racing on the Prom. It will bring in Billions of Pounds wonga in Global TV rights Yessir! Apparently, he's already tweeted Lewis Hamilton and he has responded with "Mate, that is sick!", so the AGs are busily drafting Invitations to Tender.

8 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

So a win win for Douglas then

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, dilligaf said:

different sets of lights those. The ones on the prom are being upgraded, but the joint lights / vents are further back on the walkway.

Edit to add that the photos are of Queens prom and if memory serves there are no tanks with vents that far over. ( where the pics are of )

You're wrong

8 hours ago, dilligaf said:

6 minutes ago, english zloty said:

You're wrong

Aren't the vent lights the big double ones, an example on the right side of this image?

_JIL2468_1513620746.jpg&action=ProductDe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, WTF said:

if your going to fuck the prom up you might as well do it properly.

Ahhh. Those were the days. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

So a win win for Douglas then

Beat my "So not all bad news then...." by a good hour. Well done!

Have to say I finally replaced our halogen GU10's and 20's with led the other week. Been trying out various types for some years now. Some were just too blue and harsh, some made a distinct noise, some failed very quickly etc etc.

In other words there is a lot of crap on the market from China. Usually you can tell from the price because as in all things you get what you pay for. Not so easy with leds in my experience.

Still, it's Douglas Prom so money no object....

Edited by P.K.
Clarity
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Just don't tell Manxy about those health issues or we are in trouble. 

Edited by woolley
  • Haha 2