Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Last Ten

Buying a new iPhone

I am going to buy a new iPhone, MT are the exact same price as buying direct from Apple UK, is there any benefit from buying direct from MT or are they much of a muchness??

Thanks

3 hours ago, Tempus Fugit said:

I suppose MT's will be locked to their system so you won't be able to just swap a sim

Only if you buy using a contract. You can buy an unlocked one from MT.

• Like 1

I bought my current one from MT. Previously I’d bought direct from Apple and had a sim only contract, but this time it worked out cheaper to get a 2 year contract and get it from MT. As far as I know it’s not locked to anyone, although I am tied to them for the 2 year contract. 

I suggest you work out which is the best option for you depending on what calls and data you want etc. 

• Like 1

Why would anyone pay through the nose for Apple products when much superior products are available for much less?

Brand snobbery I suppose?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Nokia 3210 for the win. (my first mobile) gave it to charity later on.

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, finlo said:

Why would anyone pay through the nose for Apple products when much superior products are available for much less?

Brand snobbery I suppose?

Because the the Google Play Store doesn’t work properly in the Isle of Man which gets really tiresome. 

• Like 1

Sorry to appear a bit of a Luddite, but why are you buying a new one?  I have an iPhone SE (2016) which I'm very happy with, it does everything I want it to and I've no desire to change it for a newer one.  When it finally expires I'll probably buy another secondhand iPhone SE from one of the secondhand gadget stores on Douglas high street.  

5 minutes ago, BallaDoc said:

Sorry to appear a bit of a Luddite, but why are you buying a new one?  I have an iPhone SE (2016) which I'm very happy with, it does everything I want it to and I've no desire to change it for a newer one.  When it finally expires I'll probably buy another secondhand iPhone SE from one of the secondhand gadget stores on Douglas high street.  

Because I am a geek :P

Ah, I see.  But geekiness comes in many different forms.  I have to admit, I'm a bit of a geek myself, but my geekiness takes the form of resuscitating old devices which more sane people would just throw out.  For example, I have kept a couple of iPad Minis (2012) going well past their expiry date by replacing cracked screens, and I have successfully downgraded a couple of old laptops from Windows 8 to Windows 7, following which they work much better.

• Like 3

we thought we were the bees knees when we were issued with one of these bad boys. 

468b38b5ae93914b736a1f93e24fa72c--mobile-marketing-mobile-phones.jpg

I remember those.  When I was a much younger BallaDoc I was issued with one of those for when I was on call.  It was so big and heavy that it wouldn't fit in a pocket so you had to carry it round in a handbag-like container, which prompted wolf whistles from the more uncouth sorts of men as you were walking down the road with it.

• Haha 1

When I worked in the UK we had to take the company 'mobile' when we went out of town. It all plugged into the car and worked as a car phone but once you went walk about you needed the 'handy' carrying case. Trade day at the NEC motor show was a real laugh, all those people rabbiting away trying to get their conversations to fit into the half hour battery life!