Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  

State Controlled News - Another Rushen State?

This made me laugh as reported on the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece, today - 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/bbc-to-recruit-island-based-political-reporter/

so now we are going to have not one but two state controlled mouthpieces, both subsidised by the licence fee, pumping out 100% bullshit, drivel and propaganda. If Chris Thomas is so enthused, perhaps he would like to pay the reporters salary. I’m more inclined to think that Club Tynpotwald has this money spinning role lined up for one of their pet civil servants, someone they can manipulate and control the news agenda. I did think Chris Thomas years ago had a bit of go and gumption about him, I am sadly mistaken, I think the man is an academics wet dream. Lots of spin, flannel and no substance, and belief in his own self importance, or a pumped up nobody with a highly ego, holding HRH The Chief Ministers hand. 

I predict he will come either a hate figure, a ridiculed man even more than some of Tynpotwalds hated politicos, once this little piece of political nonsense is put into practice. Still he has a new bullshitter to spin his press releases on a daily basis - 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/rates-reform-a-step-nearer/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, 2112 said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/bbc-to-recruit-island-based-political-reporter/

so now we are going to have not one but two state controlled mouthpieces, both subsidised by the licence fee, pumping out 100% bullshit, drivel and propaganda. If Chris Thomas is so enthused, perhaps he would like to pay the reporters salary. I’m more inclined to think that Club Tynpotwald has this money spinning role lined up for one of their pet civil servants, someone they can manipulate and control the news agenda. I did think Chris Thomas years ago had a bit of go and gumption about him, I am sadly mistaken, I think the man is an academics wet dream. Lots of spin, flannel and no substance, and belief in his own self importance, or a pumped up nobody with a highly ego, holding HRH The Chief Ministers hand. 

I predict he will come either a hate figure, a ridiculed man even more than some of Tynpotwalds hated politicos, once this little piece of political nonsense is put into practice. Still he has a new bullshitter to spin his press releases on a daily basis - 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/rates-reform-a-step-nearer/

Cynical not ?

You can't report "political matters" without economics and philosophy, as Chris should know with his PPE. The way they phrase it does sound like it will be limited to politics and therefore constrained to a very narrow spectrum of coverage. I can already predict how the "person requirements" for the job will be worded and how they will match it to someone with the correct (to them) ideological and socio-economic background to ensure we end up paying for a shill to spew establishment propaganda down our throats all while pretending to be neutral or apolitical. In the real world -- the world the media propaganda system relentlessly distorts and pretends doesn't exist -- there is no such thing as political neutrality.

7 hours ago, 2112 said:

so now we are going to have not one but two state controlled mouthpieces, both subsidised by the licence fee, pumping out 100% bullshit, drivel and propaganda. If Chris Thomas is so enthused, perhaps he would like to pay the reporters salary. I’m more inclined to think that Club Tynpotwald has this money spinning role lined up for one of their pet civil servants, someone they can manipulate and control the news agenda.

He's going to be disappointed if that's what he thinks. The BBC is no friend of the IoM. This smells like a Pyrrhic victory concealing a Trojan horse.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, craggy_steve said:

He's going to be disappointed if that's what he thinks. The BBC is no friend of the IoM. This smells like a Pyrrhic victory concealing a Trojan horse.

I do hope so given the lack of scrutiny at all levels!

• Like 1

It's good news. BBC aren't funded by the Manx Government - they're answerable to licence fee payer. 

What's Master Gawne's role then..?

5 hours ago, craggy_steve said:

I agree with Steve

We don't want or need the BBC involving itself in IOM politics

It is culturally remote from this island

25 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

He is BBC funded local democracy reporter

Far as I know his output is available to all media on the IOM gratis

4 hours ago, Declan said:

It's good news. BBC aren't funded by the Manx Government - they're answerable to licence fee payer. 

Have you ever tried to make them provide answers Declan?

21 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Have you ever tried to make them provide answers Declan?

I've complained to them and received an answer. 

Well that's an achievement. Well done you

5 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Hopefully eff all!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Declan said:

I can't think of a better reason to boycott the licence fee.

12 hours ago, craggy_steve said:

This smells like a Pyrrhic victory concealing a Trojan horse.

Now that's a recipe I wouldn't mind having!!!

• Haha 1