Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Ohaye

Do any foxes (Vulpes) still roam the island ?

Are foxes extinct or extant on the island ? The last reported (unofficial) sighting was less than 3 years ago. Do you think there could be a remaining population due to introductions from mainland Britain or is it possible a natural manx population still exists ? Anyone seen or heard one ?

Pretty sure that foxes aren't native to the Island. Introducing non-native species to places is not normally a great idea.

• Like 3

I agree, any foxes present would have a direct detrimental affect to our multiple fragile ground nesting bird species due to predation.

24 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Introducing non-native species to places is not normally a great idea.

I dunno. The irish did a reasonably good job building some of our roads before the DOI screwed them up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm pretty certain I saw one run across the road in Maughold about 20 years ago.  

Either a fox or a large ginger cat with a very pointy face and bushy tail! 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I'm pretty certain I saw one run across the road in Maughold about 20 years ago.  

Either a fox or a large ginger cat with a very pointy face and bushy tail! 

Nah. Just a phantom, Phantom. :flowers:

About 25 years ago a guy I knew (now departed)  ran over a fox and killed it, not here, but in England.  He bagged up the corpse and brought it back to IOM, then kept it in his freezer until he hatched a suitable plan.

He defrosted the body and whacked it around the front of his snazzy sports car, then he put it in the boot and went straight round to the Courier office where he reported it was fresh road kill!   

Reports appeared that foxes were on the Island and the news soon spread to the national papers and tv, a bit like Boris' kipper.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, mojomonkey said:

Introducing non-native species to places is not normally a great idea.

Exhibit A: human beings.

To many years ago to remember I saw a fox run straight across the road in front of me couldn’t believe it, then I heard about 2 to 3 weeks later a guy shot one down towards the sound.

• Thanks 1

1985/6, 7am, driving home after night duty. Lived up by Middle Garth at the time. Driving down the Ballagarey road past Rick Wakeman's gaff and around the bend at the bottom by the gate I happened to glance right after detecting movement on my peripheral, just in time to catch sight of a very grey-looking, fully-grown fox jump from the hedgerow into the field. It must've crossed the road by Wakeman's just after I passed through. It was in full view for around 3 seconds and unmistakable. Told my landlady, who lived next door and she recalled that the bloke (Myers?) who owned Glen Vine Audio had mentioned he'd thought he'd heard cries very early in the mornings, many times around the area. She also said that rumour had it that a certain southern butcher had brought a Vixen and three cubs over and set them free just off the Ballamodha near the plantation. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

To many years ago to remember I saw a fox run straight across the road in front of me couldn’t believe it, then I heard about 2 to 3 weeks later a guy shot one down towards the sound.

Where abouts did you see this fox ?