Jump to content
Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Manx Bean

PC Knacker gets new toy

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Ha ha hilarious! I was interviewed for a transfer back in 94. There were 4 of us for 2 places. 2 were manx born looking to come home and the other candidate was from Merseyside. First up was the bleep test, both 'locals' made level 7 (9 was the minimum) whereas I made level 15 with the Scouser stopped at 17. Similar dismal performances from the locals in the gym tests ensued. Ultimately though the locals were taken on because of their origin notwithstanding that they weren't fit for service.

Yes police for the locals by the locals!

I think you’re fibbing

back during that period transferee applicants would do the physical test in force and the result, pass or fail would be given to the IoM Constabulary. What you achieved on the bleep test wasn’t relevant .

in early 1994 two male officers transferred from the Met and Essex, both grew up in England

in late 1994 four male officers were interviewed with positions for all of them should they pass the interview. One was a returning Manxman, all the others were England born and bred. Only one failed the interview, which I assume was you.

I know this as it was i that was returning home from the Met Police. Our start date was February 1995

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Chutney said:

I think you’re fibbing

back during that period transferee applicants would do the physical test in force and the result, pass or fail would be given to the IoM Constabulary. What you achieved on the bleep test wasn’t relevant .

in early 1994 two male officers transferred from the Met and Essex, both grew up in England

in late 1994 four male officers were interviewed with positions for all of them should they pass the interview. One was a returning Manxman, all the others were England born and bred. Only one failed the interview, which I assume was you.

I know this as it was i that was returning home from the Met Police. Our start date was February 1995

Well said.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Was there more than one ?

Allegedly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chutney said:

I think you’re fibbing

back during that period transferee applicants would do the physical test in force and the result, pass or fail would be given to the IoM Constabulary. What you achieved on the bleep test wasn’t relevant .

in early 1994 two male officers transferred from the Met and Essex, both grew up in England

in late 1994 four male officers were interviewed with positions for all of them should they pass the interview. One was a returning Manxman, all the others were England born and bred. Only one failed the interview, which I assume was you.

I know this as it was i that was returning home from the Met Police. Our start date was February 1995

Fibbing , no. 

Yes I was on the earlier interviews. We all did the physical, a lovely day, two lines outside the HQ were chalked down and a boom box with a tape brought outside. The run was as I described and the burpees, sit ups and press ups were done inside. The Essex and Met guy both alluded Manx family.

On my return home I was called up by the Inspector who said that notwithstanding that there was an exemption for emergency services they were only going to appoint the two candidates who wouldn't otherwise have ordinarily required a work permit. A policy decision apparently. 

In my department in GMP we did the physical at the beginning of each training day which was every three weeks. We had to achieve a minimum score of 140. The police entrance requirement at that time being 100. I disagree with you that there wasn't a minimum bleep test level requirement, there was, just as there was a minimum time requirement for the old 1.5 mile run.The minimum level was level 9 and we had a departmental requirement of level 11.

Glad you made the cut!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Uhtred said:

I actually meant which of the many escape options to choose from!

 Ah, I see. 

I know particularly of a south based one. The peppered backside was more middle.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2019 at 2:59 PM, WTF said:

When was the last  police chase? 

Saw one not too long ago. Dude racing up prospect hill, panda car in hot pursuit. Then racing back down again and later saw a police FB post along the lines of "would like to speak to driver of abandoned car..." so obviously didn't get him.

I'm still amazed that in a day and age when you can control everything electronically, car chases are still a thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

 

In my department in GMP we did the physical at the beginning of each training day which was every three weeks. We had to achieve a minimum score of 140. The police entrance requirement at that time being 100. I disagree with you that there wasn't a minimum bleep test level requirement, there was, just as there was a minimum time requirement for the old 1.5 mile run.The minimum level was level 9 and we had a departmental requirement of level 11.

 

I take it that once you're in, you can pig out on doughnuts or whatever until your retirement day. ( A bit like the girls at work when I were a lad, as soon as they got that ring on their finger they couldn't stop shovelling all that chocolate etc down their mouths and hefty lasses they soon became).

I say this because of the folk I know who joined IoM police all ballooned, and commensurate and proportional with their rank.

(Just an observation, lads, obviously there are some commendable exceptions who looked after themselves)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I take it that once you're in, you can pig out on doughnuts or whatever until your retirement day. ( A bit like the girls at work when I were a lad, as soon as they got that ring on their finger they couldn't stop shovelling all that chocolate etc down their mouths and hefty lasses they soon became).

I say this because of the folk I know who joined IoM police all ballooned, and commensurate and proportional with their rank.

(Just an observation, lads, obviously there are some commendable exceptions who looked after themselves)

I think that was an issue in all the forces Gettafa. Certainly in my time in the service there were many officers who were no longer physically fit for service but at the time there was no physical fitness review unless there was a particular departmental requirement. I believe they were going to bring in some sort of annual fitness test but IIRC officers were starting to go off sick with stress about it all so I'm not sure what became of that.

Bearing in mind how the police are funded a responsibility to maintain a reasonable level of fitness wasn't to much to ask IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I take it that once you're in, you can pig out on doughnuts or whatever until your retirement day. ( A bit like the girls at work when I were a lad, as soon as they got that ring on their finger they couldn't stop shovelling all that chocolate etc down their mouths and hefty lasses they soon became).

I say this because of the folk I know who joined IoM police all ballooned, and commensurate and proportional with their rank.

(Just an observation, lads, obviously there are some commendable exceptions who looked after themselves)

 

3f1be82d6218118580185cdfe3dcb5bd.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Saw one not too long ago. Dude racing up prospect hill, panda car in hot pursuit. Then racing back down again and later saw a police FB post along the lines of "would like to speak to driver of abandoned car..." so obviously didn't get him.

I'm still amazed that in a day and age when you can control everything electronically, car chases are still a thing.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

 

3f1be82d6218118580185cdfe3dcb5bd.jpg

that fat cunt isn't going to chase anyone, his bullets will though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Saw one not too long ago. Dude racing up prospect hill, panda car in hot pursuit. Then racing back down again and later saw a police FB post along the lines of "would like to speak to driver of abandoned car..." so obviously didn't get him.

I'm still amazed that in a day and age when you can control everything electronically, car chases are still a thing.

The must be a better version of what that t*** had at White City to disable the go carts. That was 40+ years ago

Edited by dilligaf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe try a neutron bomb?

I believe some British Leyland cars were stopped when street lights turned on, was it the Maestro when the early electronics came out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...