Museum

hissingsid

So the head of MHT is determined to get rid of the Manx village in the basement of the museum he says it is run down and dusty, why has it been allowed to get to this state have they no cleaners ?     So the idea is to replace it with a TT display which is going to cost mega bucks and will not be in place until 2022.    Is this because certain famous riders bikes are coming up for auction next year ?  I thought we were skint but another vanity project comes up and hey the money is available.    The obvious thing I would have thought would be to give the Manx village display a little makeover and a good clean in these days of austerity.   This government has no idea of good management when it comes to dealing out the dosh this is a needless expense which on their current performances will be a miracle if it is completed by 2022, why is it taking over two years?   Bring on the next election for heavens sake.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

So the head of MHT is determined to get rid of the Manx village in the basement of the museum he says it is run down and dusty, why has it been allowed to get to this state have they no cleaners ?     So the idea is to replace it with a TT display which is going to cost mega bucks and will not be in place until 2022.    Is this because certain famous riders bikes are coming up for auction next year ?  I thought we were skint but another vanity project comes up and hey the money is available.    The obvious thing I would have thought would be to give the Manx village display a little makeover and a good clean in these days of austerity.   This government has no idea of good management when it comes to dealing out the dosh this is a needless expense which on their current performances will be a miracle if it is completed by 2022, why is it taking over two years?   Bring on the next election for heavens sake.

The auction link is a good point. But I think they’re all backing the wrong horse with the TT being the only thing they can now think of to potentially bring more tourists in to the IOM. It appears now to be all about pushing anything TT related. But for an answer to your question you should perhaps ask one of the trustees of MNH what the real reason for this change to a TT feature is? Probably best not to ask the one who is also charged with growing the TT and tourism as part of his role at the DfE though. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The one to ask is the Head if MNH and he was asked on Mannin Line and was totally dismissive about people's opinions because he is in charge and has had loads of experience over the water....he did fail to mention this very expensive new display was not going to be ready before 2022.....why is it costing so much and taking so long.   He did not impress me one bit rabbiting on about all the work he does and the large areas he is responsible for.   It will be interesting to see if this is completed before or after the promenade and if the flumes are working at the NSP anyone like to start a book.   I thought we were skint..... why do we import these idiots when I am sure there would be a local who would have the skills to protect our heritage at least their heart would be in it.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Whilst this is a duplicate thread, I will let people know, that many islanders would have gone to the Classic Motorcycle Show held in Stafford, Midlands. I know someone who has gone there.At this show, Bonhams Auctioneers hold an auction of machinery and motorcycle memorabilia and other associated collectors items. One of the items being sold today was a early 1970s Heuer chronograph watch given to Mike Hailwood when he was racing Formula One cars in the same era as Jackie Stewart. The watch was engraved by Jack Heuer with a personal inscription to Mike Hailwood. Apparently it sold for £40k plus commission. 

In all fairness as I have commented before can you really trust our elected idiot politicos and even bigger zero brain celled civil servants to purchase/bid for motorcycle machinery, and bid sensibly. Remember they are not using their own money but it’s other people’s money. Remember a few years ago when a civil servant screwed up on a foreign exchange transaction and the taxpayer lost money! 

A suggestion that I would make is this - Government needs to reach out to private collectors, offer them large tax inducements for the loan of collections - in some cases they not have to pay tax. Government should think outside the box and look to local collectors as opposed to being a hostage to auction, especially when they haven’t got a clue.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

The one to ask is the Head if MNH and he was asked on Mannin Line and was totally dismissive about people's opinions because he is in charge and has had loads of experience over the water....he did fail to mention this very expensive new display was not going to be ready before 2022.....why is it costing so much and taking so long.   He did not impress me one bit rabbiting on about all the work he does and the large areas he is responsible for.   It will be interesting to see if this is completed before or after the promenade and if the flumes are working at the NSP anyone like to start a book.   I thought we were skint..... why do we import these idiots when I am sure there would be a local who would have the skills to protect our heritage at least their heart would be in it.

I agree with you.

The imported head of Manx National Heritage seemed to care little for the Manx people. It was a case of me, me, me in that interview and what I think is correct and what you need. the chap is in the wrong job, in the wrong country.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Whilst this is a duplicate thread, I will let people know, that many islanders would have gone to the Classic Motorcycle Show held in Stafford, Midlands. I know someone who has gone there.At this show, Bonhams Auctioneers hold an auction of machinery and motorcycle memorabilia and other associated collectors items. One of the items being sold today was a early 1970s Heuer chronograph watch given to Mike Hailwood when he was racing Formula One cars in the same era as Jackie Stewart. The watch was engraved by Jack Heuer with a personal inscription to Mike Hailwood. Apparently it sold for £40k plus commission. 

In all fairness as I have commented before can you really trust our elected idiot politicos and even bigger zero brain celled civil servants to purchase/bid for motorcycle machinery, and bid sensibly. Remember they are not using their own money but it’s other people’s money. Remember a few years ago when a civil servant screwed up on a foreign exchange transaction and the taxpayer lost money! 

A suggestion that I would make is this - Government needs to reach out to private collectors, offer them large tax inducements for the loan of collections - in some cases they not have to pay tax. Government should think outside the box and look to local collectors as opposed to being a hostage to auction, especially when they haven’t got a clue.

But they will still be just bending over for the last remaining old TT fans.

• Like 1

At Jurby Festival, there was a Mick Grant Kawasaki from the 70s TTs that had a reserve for a forthcoming auction of over £200,000. I bet somebody from IoMG can't wait to splash the cash.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

At Jurby Festival, there was a Mick Grant Kawasaki from the 70s TTs that had a reserve for a forthcoming auction of over £200,000. I bet somebody from IoMG can't wait to splash the cash.

Not a real " reserve" though. just an interest getter. The real Green Meanie was a belter of a bike and Granty did a great job on it, but in the real world, that means Jack Shit.

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Not a real " reserve" though. just an interest getter. The real Green Meanie was a belter of a bike and Granty did a great job on it, but in the real world, that means Jack Shit.

If it's the one that broke Mike Hailwood's lap record that some worthies said would never be beaten.....that could be construed as TT history...somebody within IoMG will spend. After all, it's not actually taxpayer's money, etc etc...

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, finlo said:

Exactly, we will just go from bad to worse.

Or maintain the status quo. For those in receipt of the largesse. Which we've done since Bell was given the top job. It's all about looking after yourself...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

[Southworth]  did fail to mention this very expensive new display was not going to be ready before 2022.....why is it costing so much and taking so long.   

This is just guesswork, but I wonder if the area is expected to need a lot of structural work, fixing of damp and so on.  After all it's the basement of the old hospital and it the displays haven't been touched since the 50s, so there can't have been anything done to that bit of the building around them for at least that long.  Add to that, the non-display areas in the basement and so on may also need a lot of fixing.

Of course it might also be that MNH were told that they could only get the building fixed if afterwards it displayed the sort of thing that it's 'sponsoring department' (the DfE) wanted to see.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

Well of course and they will have also seen all these small museums like Murray’s and the private bike collections showing TT memorabilia to people in the private sector and decided that they had best steal that idea and set up their own TT exhibitions so that they can take trade off private businesses that have been doing it for years and use it as a way of keeping civil servants employed. 

Actually that doesn't make much sense in terms of the Manx Museum because it has free entry, so they may stop the other places getting paid visitors, but they won't be getting the cash instead.  And they won't be employing any extra staff because there's no extra space being created.  This looks like pressure from the DfE, either behind the scenes or through the Trustees.

But you're right that no one seems to want this idea except a few civil servants.  Certainly bike fans don't seem very impressed - especially if they know the space.

• Like 3