Museum

hissingsid

I would scrap both the boring "folk scene" and any idea of replacing it with a boring TT display. There are far more interesting aspects of Manx history which could be put on display and which frankly could function via their own museum sites. But I'm not going to give any of these clowns any ideas. They don't deserve my advice.

Edited by Rushen Spy

You are right. It’s not a case of boring or not, which is very subjective. Overall to ditch it would be a huge waste of money, and even more waste of money if it’s thrown at the Motorcycle vested interests lobby. 

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

The folk display may be boring to you but others appreciate it, a lot of people will find the TT display boring that is just different opinions.  The real scandal is spending mega bucks and the time it will take to get it up and running.

10 hours ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

Unfortunately it does make sense because they see 20 people paying 75p to go to Murray’s and some government bright spark then says we could get those 20 people instead and all we need to do is to put 3 extra people on at £16 an hour for 5 hours on a Sunday and those twenty 75p entries will be ours instead of theirs. But to get them we won’t charge the 75p either, as that will be our USP to attract business. I think the public sector generally counts that sort of business model as them being ‘commercial’ 

This sounds typical of Government and Starship Enterprise who like to be in control of things and hate anyone else doing their own thing. It’s a form of bullying and intimidation - a nannying we know best. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

Unfortunately it does make sense because they see 20 people paying 75p to go to Murray’s and some government bright spark then says we could get those 20 people instead and all we need to do is to put 3 extra people on at £16 an hour for 5 hours on a Sunday and those twenty 75p entries will be ours instead of theirs. But to get them we won’t charge the 75p either, as that will be our USP to attract business. I think the public sector generally counts that sort of business model as them being ‘commercial’ 

A commercial business model generally involves receiving money known as "income"

The TT Gallery & Gaming Experience should be a 'pay-to-enter' feature at the Grandstand - it sits there year round doing absolutely bog all for most of the time

14 hours ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

Well of course and they will have also seen all these small museums like Murray’s and the private bike collections showing TT memorabilia to people in the private sector and decided that they had best steal that idea and set up their own TT exhibitions so that they can take trade off private businesses that have been doing it for years and use it as a way of keeping civil servants employed. 

13 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Actually that doesn't make much sense in terms of the Manx Museum because it has free entry, so they may stop the other places getting paid visitors, but they won't be getting the cash instead.  And they won't be employing any extra staff because there's no extra space being created.  This looks like pressure from the DfE, either behind the scenes or through the Trustees.

But you're right that no one seems to want this idea except a few civil servants.  Certainly bike fans don't seem very impressed - especially if they know the space.

As I've tried to point out, this is not a TT gallery. It is meant to be a motorsport heritage gallery, reflecting the times when the island was an important place in most forms of motorcycle and car racing development. Personally, I don't like the idea of removing the folklife gallery to achieve it, saying that it isn't fit for purpose is IOMG 'group speak' for 'I want to spend lots of money'. 

There will come a day when all we have left of the TT will be museum exhibits and memories, just like our lost chances of the big time in car racing. We do need to collect those memories, memorabilia and everything together before they are lost in the mists of time. Like it or not, motorsport and in particular motorcycle racing has played a huge part in determining the island for over 112 years. It shouldn't just be allowed to slip into the annals without being marked and people in the future being able to see how a small island once punched well above its weight in organising sporting events which were world class.

I applaud the efforts of local museum owners who have tried and succeeded in collecting all sorts of machines and historical items together, surely MNH can work with these people and the many friends of the island, including manufacturers, to create something hugely spectacular and successful, without it costing millions in purchases? Not that purchasing is a bad investment, but it ties up money which could be spent elsewhere. The ideal place for this has to be the TT grandstand area, creating a year round visitor attraction. No need for a new grandstand, just re model the existing area, creating better facilities for year round visitors and locals!    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Max Power said:

As I've tried to point out, this is not a TT gallery. It is meant to be a motorsport heritage gallery, reflecting the times when the island was an important place in most forms of motorcycle and car racing development. Personally, I don't like the idea of removing the folklife gallery to achieve it, saying that it isn't fit for purpose is IOMG 'group speak' for 'I want to spend lots of money'. 

There will come a day when all we have left of the TT will be museum exhibits and memories, just like our lost chances of the big time in car racing. We do need to collect those memories, memorabilia and everything together before they are lost in the mists of time. Like it or not, motorsport and in particular motorcycle racing has played a huge part in determining the island for over 112 years. It shouldn't just be allowed to slip into the annals without being marked and people in the future being able to see how a small island once punched well above its weight in organising sporting events which were world class.

I applaud the efforts of local museum owners who have tried and succeeded in collecting all sorts of machines and historical items together, surely MNH can work with these people and the many friends of the island, including manufacturers, to create something hugely spectacular and successful, without it costing millions in purchases? Not that purchasing is a bad investment, but it ties up money which could be spent elsewhere. The ideal place for this has to be the TT grandstand area, creating a year round visitor attraction. No need for a new grandstand, just re model the existing area, creating better facilities for year round visitors and locals!    

Max, I would argue that It is a TT gallery, albeit with a smattering of trinkets from the past relating to previous non TT related motorsports. You correctly argue that we should celebrate and commentate past glories ‘where the island punched above its weight’ - Politicos stock reply!

As the whole shebang is run by Manx National Hemorage it will be Skelly and Callister acting as the Puppeteers controlling things and demanding a say as to what goes in. Add in all the other vested interests, like other Motorsports such as Rallying, then you will have a recipe for a Manx Muddle. I could also say that the Cycling lobby may take offence and demand some Cycling memorabilia - from the islands cycling hey day.

There are a few historic cars meeting every year pre TT celebrating Gordon Bennett et al, and a Hill Climb up the Sloc. Poor Derek Flint had nothing but aggro trying to get his Supertour off the ground. Major Rallying on the island is non existent due to this island’s incompetence. Local Rallying events is alive and kicking. So other than these events, it’s only the TT, MGP and S100 whereby there is memorabilia which could fill a room. 

No doubt once the refurbishment is done, the IOMG begging bowl and pleading for exhibits on loans will occurr. Personally I wouldn’t loan this mob a cold!

• Like 2

Uttlery ridiculous telling a Museum what they can and can't display. They need to continually refresh their exhibits and continue to look for new ways for visitors to look at the past. Otherwise, what's the point in going twice?

Conservative reactionary facebook warriors should be ignored - and I'm delighted to see that they are being.

4 minutes ago, parchedpeas said:

Uttlery ridiculous telling a Museum what they can and can't display. They need to continually refresh their exhibits and continue to look for new ways for visitors to look at the past. Otherwise, what's the point in going twice?

Conservative reactionary facebook warriors should be ignored - and I'm delighted to see that they are being.

"We are not a museum of museums"

DfE appear to support the idea of a TT Exhibition at the newly re-developed Grandstand 

Minister Skelly: "We have clearly signalled our intention with regard to the redevelopment of the Grandstand. There is an ideal location right there to promote TT heritage
should we get sufficient support at that particular point."

http://www.tynwald.org.im/business/hansard/20002020/t191015 RHI.pdf

15 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

I would scrap both the boring "folk scene" and any idea of replacing it with a boring TT display. There are far more interesting aspects of Manx history which could be put on display and which frankly could function via their own museum sites. But I'm not going to give any of these clowns any ideas. They don't deserve my advice.

They must be gutted....

• Haha 3