MER: Tram, Walking, and Cycle Track

foxdaleliberationfront

• 1 year later...

Latest on the IoM cycleway expansions...DOI proposals to buy back land to extend down the old railway line from Ramsey to Sulby;

Screenshot_20210622-102416_Chrome.jpg

The new cyclepath is great, a lot faster way into town if you live out that way. Loads of people using it, including me - but almost all on foot and/or walking their dogs (and letting them dump occasionally) but hardly ever used by cyclists as yet from what I've seen, apart from kids on bmxs using an earth bank built alongside the path for jumps. But having built it, maybe they will come.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The new cyclepath is great, a lot faster way into town if you live out that way. Loads of people using it, including me - but almost all on foot and/or walking their dogs (and letting them dump occasionally) but hardly ever used by cyclists as yet from what I've seen, apart from kids on bmxs using an earth bank built alongside the path for jumps. But having built it, maybe they will come.

Wash your mouth out with soap

Positivity is not welcome on here :D

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Wash your mouth out with soap

Positivity is not welcome on here :D

Lol....it's a pity they can't resurface the rest of the roads to that standard.

If it does have a shortcoming as a route it's that it's too far off the main commuter route - if you come into Ramsey on the Lezayre Road, you've got to divert off down Gardner's Lane to access the cycle way. It then exits on the Pondy behind the Post Sorting Office which is quarter a mile + away from where Lezayre Rd comes into Parliament Square.

So it's never going to be a commuter route for anybody outside Ramsey coming into town IMO, even those on bicycles will use the cycle lane on Lezayre Rd for that purpose, it's shorter and more direct. It's a leisure trail thing rather than a commuter route.

4 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Soon there'll be nowhere you can walk unless it's for cycles as well. Next will be the Raad Ny Foillen.

Good luck with that. I had to take the loppers with me last time I tried to walk from Laxey to Douglas. The brambles were 2 metres high. 

Just now, Roxanne said:

Good luck with that. I had to take the loppers with me last time I tried to walk from Laxey to Douglas. The brambles were 2 metres high. 

•  

Green lanes have been taken over by motorbikes and 4X4 (to the extent that one motorcyclist told me that as a pedestrian I should be wearing a hi-viz vest... you can imagine my retort!). The remaining areas where you can walk/ramble only are slowly disappearing. 

Just now, Andy Onchan said:

Green lanes have been taken over by motorbikes and 4X4 (to the extent that one motorcyclist told me that as a pedestrian I should be wearing a hi-viz vest... you can imagine my retort!). The remaining areas where you can walk/ramble only are slowly disappearing. 

I agree. I can't believe they don't have to pay for a permit or something towards the cost of the damage they do, basically ripping up the lanes so that they are useless for any other purpose. its about time we moved into the 21st Century and banned these monstrosities from the countryside and the environmental damage they cause.

People argue that it brings tourism into the Island. I'm afraid I reckon it drives more away than it attracts.

6 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Soon there'll be nowhere you can walk unless it's for cycles as well. Next will be the Raad Ny Foillen.

Most commuting cyclists will still choose the roads, these shared space routes aren’t suitable for tearing along at any great speed, it’s similar to the cycle lane they put on the walkway of the prom in Douglas, you’d frequently see cyclists shouting at people to move out of the lane, because people on a leisurely walk generally aren’t paying attention, that’s forgetting about the relaxed parenting and irresponsible dog owners.

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

I agree. I can't believe they don't have to pay for a permit or something towards the cost of the damage they do, basically ripping up the lanes so that they are useless for any other purpose. its about time we moved into the 21st Century and banned these monstrosities from the countryside and the environmental damage they cause.

People argue that it brings tourism into the Island. I'm afraid I reckon it drives more away than it attracts.

They do pay to use them - it's called road tax

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

Most commuting cyclists will still choose the roads, these shared space routes aren’t suitable for tearing along at any great speed, it’s similar to the cycle lane they put on the walkway of the prom in Douglas, you’d frequently see cyclists shouting at people to move out of the lane, because people on a leisurely walk generally aren’t paying attention, that’s forgetting about the relaxed parenting and irresponsible dog owners.

Yes, brilliant idea that was, and an eyesore too. If they had done the horsetram tracks properly, on the seaward side all the way, a cycle lane could have been incorporated! I despair at the lack of imagination of the isle of Man, all through the government dwell people with bugger all between their ears!

• Thanks 1