Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
foxdaleliberationfront

MER: Tram, Walking, and Cycle Track

2 hours ago, woolley said:

If you avoid the main coast road that's pretty much what you already have. Lots of choice of routes too. 

True, there are some "lightly used" roads between the MER stations in Douglas and Ramsey.

You can easily turn a 12.6 mile hilly ride into a 19.9 mile super-hilly* ride by taking the "scenic" route! 

You don't cycle much, do you?

* 2,100 feet of climbing vs 1,053 feet (source:google maps)

I actually think it's a good idea. I doubt that hardcore racers/riders will use it (too narrow for their speed). But as a way to encourage cycling as a form of transport and generally improve the nations health, it's an excellent idea. Fewer cars on the road, better health...all good.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Mr Shoe said:

You can easily turn a 12.6 mile hilly ride into a 19.9 mile super-hilly* ride by taking the "scenic" route! 

You don't cycle much, do you?

* 2,100 feet of climbing vs 1,053 feet

I do a fair bit. Not as much as I used to, but I've covered many of the roads we are discussing and they are not overtaxing by bike. Meaningless really to throw out climb statistics when every up is matched by a down. Some of the best cycling is gathering downward momentum to tackle the next rise. As for the distance, we are talking about a leisure route, and besides, the tramway through Maughold parish is far more circuitous than the minor roads via Dreemskerry. 

13 hours ago, Mr Shoe said:

I actually think it's a good idea. I doubt that hardcore racers/riders will use it (too narrow for their speed). But as a way to encourage cycling as a form of transport and generally improve the nations health, it's an excellent idea. Fewer cars on the road, better health...all good.

I appreciate that it's not a modern tramway but you are delusional if you think that putting a cycle way along the route would get more people out of their cars and cycling between Douglas and Ramsey when they won't use the tram. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

I appreciate that it's not a modern tramway but you are delusional if you think that putting a cycle way along the route would get more people out of their cars and cycling between Douglas and Ramsey when they won't use the tram. 

They won’t use the tram because it is expensive.

i am just back from Majorca. Notwithstanding the massively better weather, the effort they have put in to safer margins for cyclists is incredible. Super smooth roads too. If we had been part of that wider EU family for the last 40years who knows what we might have achieved.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ah, but we ploughed our own furrow with our "independence". Which primarily allowed the usual suspects/worthies to carry on much the same way as they had for centuries on the taxpayer's chit.

I was in Cyprus a few years ago, they had €Ms of new roads and infrastructure there then,  too. We've got the DOI and Douglas prom. And a £500M bill for a power station.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Agreed, Derek. 

3 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

The tram isn't a form of public transport - it's just an extremely expensive museum novelty ride that seems to be used by those who love wearing sepia tinted glasses. 

The expense of the tickets is only matched by the extreme cost to the taxpayers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

Agreed, Derek. 

The tram isn't a form of public transport - it's just an extremely expensive museum novelty ride that seems to be used by those who love wearing sepia tinted glasses. 

The expense of the tickets is only matched by the extreme cost to the taxpayers. 

I don’t agree with putting a cycle lane anywhere to be honest, certainly not near the trams. 

However, regarding the prices of the trams, we got the tram from Laxey to Ramsey a few weeks ago only because we had not been on one for a while. Anyway when paying £23 odd for two returns we were taken aback.

Soon realised what we had been missing with such a scenic journey. Both agreed it was still very good value for money. Long may continue without gimmicks like the one proposed. :)

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

i am just back from Majorca. Notwithstanding the massively better weather, the effort they have put in to safer margins for cyclists is incredible. Super smooth roads too. If we had been part of that wider EU family for the last 40years who knows what we might have achieved.

Well it would be nice and quiet. Probably about 25,000 population. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

1 hour ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

I know it is expensive, especially when compared to the likes of Metrolink in Manchester.  

It still does not change the fact that you will not move people out of cars onto bikes along that route.  Those who would cycle that way are likely to be committed cyclists who currently use the road anyway.  You may get one or two people using it for leisure but largely it would go unused.  

The Isle of Man has an addiction to using private cars and that is what really needs to be addressed through better public transport and improved infrastructure.  Ripping up a heritage railway really does neither of these things.

Perhaps they could find a more modern tram that could run along the route to provide a commuter service - much like the diesel on the steam railway :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, woolley said:

Well it would be nice and quiet. Probably about 25,000 population. 

859,307. 2015 headcount.

33 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

859,307. 2015 headcount.

Where? Obviously not here. If we were in the EU, we could not have taken the road we have done for the last few decades. There would be no finance sector to speak of as they would not have tolerated our tax haven regime. It depends what you want to be. Do you want to be the EU's bitch as a backwater that earns nothing itself and lives off EU handouts from taxpayers elsewhere? At least Cyprus has the Mediterranean climate, but it has also been dumped on by the EU as a result of Merkel's unbelievably naive refugee policy.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, woolley said:

At least Cyprus has the Mediterranean climate, but it has also been dumped on by the EU as a result of Merkel's unbelievably naive refugee policy.

The Isle of Man is apparently taking it's fair share of Bre-fugees from the UK according to one local estate agent. 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=51403&headline=People 'escaping from Brexit' to settle here&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2019

8 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

The Isle of Man is apparently taking it's fair share of Bre-fugees from the UK according to one local estate agent. 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=51403&headline=People 'escaping from Brexit' to settle here&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2019

Should that story not have come out on April 01?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Where? Obviously not here. If we were in the EU, we could not have taken the road we have done for the last few decades. There would be no finance sector to speak of as they would not have tolerated our tax haven regime. It depends what you want to be. Do you want to be the EU's bitch as a backwater that earns nothing itself and lives off EU handouts from taxpayers elsewhere? At least Cyprus has the Mediterranean climate, but it has also been dumped on by the EU as a result of Merkel's unbelievably naive refugee policy.

Indeed the idea that somewhere in the EU (like say Luxembourg or Malta) could be a tax haven is completely absurd.  I mean it would be like using Ireland or the Netherlands to channel corporate profits.  Who would dream of doing such a thing?  Yes the Isle of Man should live entirely on its own resources with never any handouts from EU taxes like VAT that comes from other countries such as the UK.

However having EU membership doesn't seem to guarantee nice smooth roads - you only have to look at the UK for that.  Maybe it has more to do with whether government prioritise the needs of the public or of the construction industry.

Incidentally Cyprus didn't really suffer much from an influx of refugees associated with Merkel's statements (the specific effects of which were overstated and would only have a very short term influence).  They do have a much more recent upsurge in applications, but those have more to do with the underlying reasons for people fleeing their homes, such as war, political repression and climate change. 

• Thanks 1